Nutwork
Years ago

Sam Mackinnon

Has Sam Mackinnon made it on to anyones summer league roster?

Anymore talk of him with any NBA teams?

Topic #12133 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Isn't playing in Vegas, just tried out with a few teams. Sounds like Europe is a likely backup option where he can get decent money in Turkey.

I reckon Brisbane will probably have to do without his services.

Reply #141603 | Report this post

Bullets Champs 07  
Years ago

If Sammy leaves you can kiss back to back gone for us this year. Please Sam dont leave just ask Eddy to add a few more zero's to the end of your contract..

Reply #141610 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

Aaaahh, I remember back when Mark Skaife was touted as our next big thing in international racing circles. He got to sit in an F1 Mclaren in Adelaide which (at the time) was seen as a huge step towards his international career.

Cant help thinking that I have heard the same thing about Sammy Mac as our next big thing in the NBA for at least the last 4 years. Good luck Sammy, I hope you make it; if you do it means there is hope for us all in the NBA!

Reply #141616 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Last 4 years??? He has been tourted as the next big thing his whole career - he was never going to do anything spectacular cos he can't shoot ... and cos of the injuries.

Reply #141620 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

He came round too early (IMHO) as well. Were he to have come around in maybe 6 years after he did - he would have been drafted (i have no doubt in my mind on this). A physically domninating, athletic 16-17 year old (he was a man child in the truest sense - raw but he could easily hold his own against professional players twice his age) is well worth a 2nd rounder - and who knows what would happen thereafter... Fact is the NBA had a bit of a elitist attitude to all but the TOP players in foreign leagues until recently...

Reply #141621 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

There's hope for us all, Pogo? You fool. You an NBL League MVP, are you?

MacKinnons weakness has always been his shooting, but in the last few years it has slowly improved to the point where it is very respectable. 56% from the field and 47% (YES...47%) from the 3 point line.

Other than that, why wouldn't an NBA team want an athletic, strong, defensively minded yet offensively capable, hard working guy who won't give you the stinking attitude of the Brothas in the NBA?

Reply #141647 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Because that 'athletic, strong, defensively minded yet offensively capable, hard working guy' is a 6'5 power forward?

Reply #141649 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

He's a PF?

Since when?

Reply #141656 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Well, he played it at the WC's, then had his MVP season playing at the 4, so it does seem to be his best position. But even if you conisder him to be a SF he's still, at times, going to be a little undersized.

I don't really think he's that 'offensively capable'. He can hit wide open threes, but anything else just doesn't translate from the NBL to the NBA.

He won't be in a almost ridiculously undersized league where little to no D is played, he won't have an athletic advantage and he won't be as strong.

So basically, he's not going to be a scorer, and he won't have the same advantages on D and on the glass he has here.

You've got to remember, he's going to be 31 years old by the start of the season, so if he gets signed he's most likely going to be asked to play a role straight away.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong and see him contribute on a team, but I just can't see it happen.

Reply #141664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:39 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754