Alternative State Coaches

Seeing we are all so critical.

Name your replacements in each grade and age group!

i.e. u/16 b B Goorjian etc

I bet you cant agree on better replacements.

Topic #12140 | Report this topic

Jack Rabbitt  
Years ago

My pick - u/16 boys, B. Goorjian

Reply #141737 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I wouldn't be so critical on the head coaches, but perhaps they should look outside of their own club and mates and get someone who perhaps coaches in that age group, ie one of the top two or three teams. Do many of the coaches who are coaching at state level actually coach a club in that age group or is that not allowed (conflict of interest?)???

Reply #141753 | Report this post

planetof the apes  
Years ago

If a coach plays a run and gun under all circumstances such as the 18's metro girls coach and loses with this play, fails to use his talent pool, can't see transition failing and still only plays the outside game where 3 and 4 shoot, its no body's fault but his. He should go.

Reply #141759 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

IMO - you can say "the coach needs to go" all you like but until someone presents a better candidate, those posts are pointless.

Panther,

My thoughts on that are posted here.

Reply #141763 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"Hoop Addict", I pretty much agree. They definitely need someone who is involved in that age group, as I think sometimes it would be hard to pick the correct team without some sort of local knowledge.
From there, it is the skills and experience of the Head Coach which will shine through.

Reply #141766 | Report this post

Mikasa  
Years ago

Panther, what if the assistant coaches are involved in the age group? Whats to stop a coach not involved with an age group going out and watching games of that age group? I would like to see State Head Coach not coaching Junior teams at all for the period of their appointment.

Reply #141775 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

To be honest Mikasa, I would say not too many Head coaches would go out and watch games prior to selection of the team. I for one know for a fact that Richard Hill didn't come and see any South games, whether that be to watch South players or aother players we were playing.

Reply #141792 | Report this post

][  
Years ago

16 girls coach doesn't do anything else either. Doesn't watch local kids play at all and if there is any doubt on a player choose a North one.

Reply #141799 | Report this post

So no alternatives put up!

Just what I thought.

Raving on with no better plan.

Reply #141804 | Report this post

Mikasa  
Years ago

I would suggest that if the likes of Hill and Wallis are not getting out to junior games they should be.

Reply #141806 | Report this post

][  
Years ago

my quilt, Plenty of alternatives but not giving you the satisfaction of having other people being slagged on here. Thats why you started this topic wasn't it? So you can shoot down other coaches in this State?

Reply #141818 | Report this post

bench warmer  
Years ago

you would be surprised, Wallis did in fact see a couple of u16 games during the year - even coached the north girls in State Champs GF for the win. His 2 assistant coaches also are sasi coaches who see these kids week in weekk out.

Reply #141833 | Report this post

][
I haven't slagged anyone off?

What are the alternatives?

We can slag the current guys and say we can do better, but who really CAN do a better job?

Not one name put up so far.

Just rhetoric!!!

Reply #141838 | Report this post

concerned  
Years ago

Didn't one State under 20's men assistant coach in 2007, hired by Richard Hill, was told a fortnight from the championships that he was not able to continue cause SASI would accredit or approve of him?

What does that say? SASI has no confidence on who the head coach has as assistants?

SASI and BSA appoint the head coaches, but they don't have the confidence in who he or she hires as assitants?

Reply #141844 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

who was that? was it Dale Fletcher?
always wondered why he was there and then wasnt

Reply #141855 | Report this post

^ of 8  
Years ago

I think your original thought was spot on, my pick is u/16 boys, B. Goorjian as well!

Reply #141856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther did any south boys try out whom didn't have other involvement wih richard (academy) or hed seen at mens???? Hill is probably one of the best state coaches around he should be one that is allowed to continue with his position

Reply #141862 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

panther how long have u coached junior basketball for? or is this your first season?

Reply #141952 | Report this post

Just a thought.
Mark coached the majority of this years metro 18 girls to 4th spot last year in the 16's and they failed by 4 points against Vic Metro which would have put them in a Gold medal playoff.
Say what you like but the man has tactics and game plans that , wait for it , he's prepared to change as the game dictates.
This seems to have been the problem with the 18 girls this year, no plan that worked and one dimensional coaching mindsets with assistanbt clones.
So the question should be, how could Mark get the best out of virtually the same group of players, with a couple of girls starring and all contributing BUT the present coach not?

Reply #142064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allquiet, good one! Seems that most of the other state coaches had a similar view as you and the others in this tread.If the game plan is not working then you need to change the plan, otherwise you end up with egg on your face and parents bleeting at you. There is good talent trust them to help to change to tide during a game. Is'nt that what good coaching is about!!

Reply #142130 | Report this post

Moose70  
Years ago

allquietonthewesternfront,

Thanks for that S Richards. At least he hasn't fallen to the ground and made fun of a 12 year old girls who has injured herself while coaching.

Maybe you should put your name up.

Reply #142156 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Sorry I didn't answer your question Booga, I have coached Juniors for a season prior to this one a few years back but this is my first year back into it.

Reply #143025 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:59 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754