HALO 2
Years ago

2005 u14 boys nationals

now tell me - if woodville, north and centrals are hosting them -

do they all get wild cards as hosting club?

i believe the hosting club gets a start

North maybee - but woodville and centrals - say no more !

Topic #1215 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If North, Woodville and Centrals are hosting it then why not get the other 6 clubs involved and make it a BASA run event. We can have every BASA U14 team play. What a joke.

Reply #13754 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I am told that this is true and that the highest Club will go as the host team. I think it is crazy that 3 clubs are hosting it.

Reply #13756 | Report this post

HALO 2  
Years ago

I mean that respectfully - they will get pummelled

they are struggling in local Div 1

let alone against the best in the country

still - if that is what they want !

maybe they should enter a combined team - that might have a bit more punch

Reply #13757 | Report this post

HALO 2  
Years ago

true - I was getting carried away

thanks for pulling me up Jirachi

Reply #13762 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I am pretty sure that it is 2 + host

Reply #13771 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

i dont no y its woodville, north and cetrals hosting it. wat i mean by this is that i have heard that all of the games are being played at starplex? so wtf is up wit that.... how does north and woodville have any influence in it anyway? just wat i heard

Reply #13784 | Report this post

anonanonanon  
Years ago

I believe that as always the positions too any u14 is awarded on state champ positions not on hosting top 2 sides etc. in the past I believe as host state the have been 3 teams if the numbers allow ie if an extra team is required to fill a spot it goes to the host state as they do not need to travel ergo can cut costs.

centrals, north and woodville are co hosting it at starplex. along the lines of nct at mvale in the mid and late 90s and like forestville at wayville.

maybe it is three northern clubs hosting it to help split the load volunteer wise. i don't know but it could be one explanation these events require alot of volunteers and organisation. you need one person per team to act as liasion officer. you have stats, scoretables, you have to have court officials, referee's liasion, drivers, you need to organise st john or someother like type body.

events don't just happen on their own and it is good to see that centrals are getting to host one. Hillcrest is far to small court wise to run the event so they get their imput and at that time the dome would be in use for NBL so Woodville gets a look in too.

isn't that a win win win situation for everybody.

lets get behind the clubs and support them i think it is a great idea.

Reply #13790 | Report this post

HALO 2  
Years ago

it was not the iidea of the clubs hosting it - that is fine -

what I was raising - was usually the host gets a wild card in the tournament

clubs apply to hold the tournament - like an olympics etc

then the top 2 from state champs qualify

north can not hold it at hillcrest due to status of stadium - size, quality etc

dome ?

Reply #13797 | Report this post

anonanonanon  
Years ago

dome in october would be in full swing of nbl season as the season is slated to start earlier due the commonwealth games

could you see the sixers moving their training to cater for a week of u14s i think not ... or the nbl rostering around it equally unfeasible.

are you sure it is host club....or host state

at m/vale a few years ago i think north nct and sturt were in the u14 boys but memory serves me nct were in the top3

Reply #13801 | Report this post

HALO 2  
Years ago

we need someone in the know - what's the story

Reply #13802 | Report this post

anonanonanon  
Years ago

:: GCB&SS News Item

1-10-2004 - By Luke Tucker

REBELS GET REVENGE ON HORNETS

The Gosford City Rebels under-14 boys team, supported by a noisy home crowd, have turned things around after yesterday's two point loss to the Hills Hornets by getting revenge on their fellow New South Wales contenders and picking up seventh position at the 2004 National Boys Club Championship.
After qualifying for the Championship as the fourth ranked team in New South Wales, the home team have now established themselves as the second highest ranked New South Wales team in Australia behind the Bankstown Bruins.

The seventh in the Nation result equals the Gosford City club's best ever performance at a National Championship, which was achieved by the under-14 girls team at the 2002 National Club Championship.

This is the third year in succession that the Rebels under-14 boys team, coached by Chris Ohlback, have qualified for the National Championship and after previously recording ninth and fifteenth positions in 2002 and 2003 respectively, the club are very pleased with this year's home court effort.

Gosford City's captain, Mitch Goddard, led by example all week and was instrumental in his teams success throughout the Championship.

"It's so good to do well at Nationals and playing in front of our home crowd at our stadium makes it even better," said a very pleased Goddard after the victory over Hills today.

Bridgecoast Sports Stadium, Terrigal has been praised for the hospitality and facilities on offer for the Championship and will be looking to farewell the many players, coaches and supporters who have been special guests of the Central Coast throughout this week of competition at this evening's closing ceremony, which will commence at 6:30pm following the big grand final clash between the Sandringham Sabres and Nunawading Spectres at 4:30pm on court one.

"It has been a really fun week with some exciting games of basketball every day. Unfortunately it's all over after today, but i'm sure there will be plenty of good memories of the Nationals at Terrigal for everyone that has been involved," said Goddard of the Championships being held on the Coast.

Bridgecoast Sports Stadium will now be looking to secure future special calendar events after successfully managing the National Championship on behalf of Basketball Australia.

Reply #13803 | Report this post

anonanonanon  
Years ago

basically that says last years hosts QUALIFIED to get in didn't get in on 'host' status

Reply #13805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are Paul arnott , Liam Flynn the only people that know any thing around here ????? why not ask some one from the clubs actually hosting the event ?

Reply #13806 | Report this post

HALO 2  
Years ago

speak - it's just they use their names and the are big fish

anyone who uses an alias could be from jason and his bell to phil smyth

speak up ! - it's a forum

Reply #13809 | Report this post

HALO 2  
Years ago

gosford = ferals

they were at norwood carnival

BYO moccasins - the kids don't have stick on tatts !

push and shove !

practice your scrums

and have zero tolerance

Reply #13811 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

South Australia, either Boys or Girls get 2 teams. If SA hold the event the host team gets automatic entry. SA can gain an extra team if the year before an SA team makes a Grand Final or is the second highest state. This year the boys will get 2 plus a host. I am told that the highest finishing club, ie North, Wood or Centrals will qualify for the host spot. Going on recent results it would be West and Sturt with the Host North. Hope this helps.

[MOD: Norwood and Eastern are still undefeated!!]

Reply #13825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The venue is Starplex

Reply #13834 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It's ALL being held at Starplex?

But no Centrals particpiation in the tourney, possibly? That's a bit harsh?

Reply #13848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a joint application between the clubs, good on Centrals for getting involved. Even if they dont get a team in, its a great experience

Reply #13852 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

In the know,

I concur with your assessment of who participates. I would question your top 2. Have seen the "big three" and believe west is stand out and IMO (at the moment) Norwood is slightly ahead of Sturt. Eastern have yet to play any of the top teams!

Reply #13879 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Norwood would def. have a chance. West beat Sturt, Norwood still have to play these teams..

Reply #13882 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

So if Gosford qualified and didn't use the "host" spot, as Jirachi suggested (I think...) which state will now lose one spot??

Reply #13890 | Report this post

manager  
Years ago

north and norwood hosted last years event at clipsal and it was fantastic. Neither woodville or centrals have had experience at hosting a national championship before and so it was decided to have an experienced club, north, and two inexperienced clubs run the event together. the executive committee has been meeting for 6 months trying to make it a great experience for every U14 boy lucky enough to attend.
Anyone who would like to volunteer from any club would be welcome with open arms.
please contact any of the host clubs if you would like to be involved

Reply #13905 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

How do they determine the best of the host clubs. As we play some teams twice and others 3 times during winter season it would be disappointing for any of those clubs to miss a spot purely because of the draw. Imagine scoring to play west, sturt,norwood three times and the other teams draw easier teams three times. Perhaps it should be best positon after 18 games?

Reply #13915 | Report this post

Years ago

Surely it'll be State Champs - the same time the other two spots are determined as well!!

It can't be after Winter season - the draw and associated paperwork should be all done well before then!!

Reply #13928 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

How can you use state champs if they play in opposite groups and no-one makes a final? i.e. how does third in one group compare to third in the other?

Reply #13930 | Report this post

Years ago

Good point ???, I don't know - but ALL teams are "ranked" after State Champs somehow.

Check the BASA website (I think..) to see this years' (2004) rankings.

Reply #13943 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

maybe head to head results during summer?

Reply #14151 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

They should just do what they do in Victoria. They pick the teams at the half way mark of the Main season after on round is played. ie. everybody plays everybody and then the top three teams go to nationals. This iliminates the pressure of one weekend like sTATE Champs.

Reply #14178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it changes every year but

N.T. 2 teams North/South

S.A. 2 teams State champ finalists

Qld 2 teams ?

A.C.T team I think

Not sure about...

Vic/ N.S.W. 2 metro 1 country ?

Tas one or two teams?

Do the two top ranked states get an extra place the next year?

Am I right ??????

Reply #14186 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Queensland 2 teams
Tasmania 2 teams
ACT 1 team
WA 2 team
NT 2 teams
SA 2 teams
NSW 3 teams
Victoria 2 metro 1 country
Host 1 team
Top ranked state 1 team
2nd ranked state 1 team

SA may actually get an extra team because Sturt was the second highest state behid Vic at last year Nationals so it is a possibility that SA will get four teams. Usual automatic 2, Host and highest ranked state the previous year.

Reply #14220 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

In the know,

You are not quite right. Victoria get 4 teams (1 Country) and only the top ranked state get 1 extra team which will be Vic's. Other than that fairly accurate

Reply #14223 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

The teams that make the Grand final get an automatic extra team the next year. Because two victorians make the grand final the next state will get an extra team.

Reply #14225 | Report this post

Years ago

In The Know,

I think that was before they split the NT into two teams, now only the top state does. Or maybe not...

Reply #14232 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

Thank you ,,,,,,

You are incorrect In The Know. That rule changed 3 years ago when they went to 1 20 team comp. Now only the winning state gets another team.

Reply #14237 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

So in summary it looks like this (at this stage)

2 most likely from West/Norwood/Sturt based on state champs results

plus

1 of Centrals/North/Woodville based on ???

Reply #14241 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

... State Champs results.

And North look to be clearly better than Woodville and Centrals at the moment.

Reply #14242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West missed out after a norwood revival in the last quarter scoring 8 points in 1 minute. West misses out, after going the season undefeated.

Reply #34075 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

look im from Dandenong Rangers. Anthony Drmic WE came seconf go us LOL. so ask me ?s

Reply #55711 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

you related to frank?

Reply #55717 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Yer im Franks Brother

Reply #56622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754