Isaac
Years ago

Newley's Rockets vs Dallas tips off

The game is about to start.

See the boxscore here

Anyone got the link to the video feed yet?

(This is the video link to his first game. Yes, the full game.)

Topic #12152 | Report this topic

Kwest  
Years ago

Reply #141878 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

(Thats the live feed - although I think its currently half time)

Reply #141879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Newley getting minutes but not taking shots. 12 minutes, 0/1 FG.

He's on court now. Houston have fought back from a big deficit.

Reply #141882 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jacked up a three that was a bad miss. Had a drive, drew a foul and had 2/2 FT just now. Commentators suggesting that he doesn't have much familiarity with playing such quick defense in Australia.

Reply #141884 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Whilst not about Newley, and it's not worthy of a new thread, Houston traded V-Span to the Spurs for the rights to Scola and Jackie Butler.

Butler fits a hole at PF/C for Houston, and if Scola comes across it's a nice pick-up.

V-Span is expected to stay in Greece, but considering the Spurs are Euro-friendly then maybe he'll come back.

Reply #141887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley tried to get some drives going a few times from the perimeter but they all got swatted away as soon as he got the free throw line.

Unfortunately, scoring equals success in the Summer League.

Rick Adelman was interviewed early in the webcast. On Newley he said was "interesting" ...surprisingly "very athletic", "agressive going to the hoop", and noticed how Newley "can dish it". He finished by saying Newley needs "some schooling still ...playing at a higher level".

Unless Newley improves dramatically in the remaining games he's not headed to the NBA.

Reply #141889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt really perform again did he?? 3 points and 4 fouls in 14 mins!! Players with less minutes getting better stats than him......looks like Brooks may get the final guard position on the Rockets roster!! Bad news for Newley, good news for Sixers fans, but Houston never really intended on him playing this year anyway!

Reply #141890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brooks is a first round pick which means he's entitled to a guaranteed contract. Also Rockets have already signed Brooks, just before Summer League began.

Reply #141892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they think he needs a higher standard he will be shipped to euro you would think. I would think his development would plateau in aus.

Reply #141894 | Report this post

all ball  
Years ago

Lets have a closer look at these stats... Newley had no turnovers out of 26 for the team; yes he had 4 fouls, but 3 other guys got fouled off and another 3 had 5 fouls; 13 assists for the team so I think there is not much 'sharing of the ball' and 'creating for your team mates' happening (apart from Brooks who had 7); and TWO steals for the entire game!! This cant be right!
Did anyone watch the game? In the game vs LA he was involving himself in ways which werent necessarily recorded on stats, ie: pushing the ball up the floor, creating LA turnovers for other guys to pick up.

Reply #141896 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the parts that I saw (the stream was very choppy and the commentators were annoying as hell so I lost interest), Newley was pressing the ball-handler when he was on. Got left behind a little bit if the handler tried to drive around him a few times.

He followed up shots from the other team, but whenever he had good position, they'd make the shot and there'd be no board for him to get.

Only saw one of his attempts which was from a clear metre outside the line and hit the back of the ring. Did see him drive well and force up a shot (defender or help defense kept up and pressured him) that got him to the line the second time.

Other times on offense, he had decent position but the shots went to other players.

Reply #141898 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

I think we can be quite confident of having the services of Brad Newley with us at the sixers next season.

Reply #141907 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im curious.
Does anyone believe he will be playing with the rockets this season?

Reply #141911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the Houston Rockets.

Reply #141912 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not really sure, IMO only if there is a few injuries to their guard stocks..

I think he has the talent etc, and now has his foot in the door, lets hope he gets the opportunity now to kick it down!!

Reply #141913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no nba, europe somewhere

Reply #141914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Europe or back here. I think they're taking a longer term path with him.

Whether he'd get pushed enough in the NBL to improve, I don't know.

Reply #141915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it's not going to happen, but I think the NBDL would be the best way for Brad to reach the NBA. While he has the ability, he just needs some time adjusting to the faster pace and athleticism. It's not a skill issue. Throughout his career he has always been one of, if not the most athletic player on the floor, now he is faced with guys of equal athleticism. His advantage is that he is extremely skilled. All it takes is a bit of time to learn how to implement these skills against a higher degree of athlete. Outside of the NBA, you're not going to find a more athletic league than the NBDL. But it's all speculation, because it won't happen.

Reply #141937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBDL pay ranges from 13 to 27k AUD.
Nothing wrong with returning to Australia to play in the NBL but he has to make strength training a priority.

If he hired a personal trainer to help him adopt whatever weights program and cardio work the Super 12 rugby players are on. He'd be on a winner.

Reply #141941 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

So what are the realistic chances of him playing for Adelaide?

Reply #141943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBDL pay ranges from 13 to 27k AUD"

That's why I said it won't happen. But if you're examining it from the perspective of what league would help raise, or more accurately, adapt his game to the NBA, you can't seriously say coming home and playing for the 36ers is the better than the NBDL.

"Nothing wrong with returning to Australia to play in the NBL"

1. Lack of visibility
2. Lack of intimate contact with NBA
3. Lack of players of NBA athleticism
4. Style of play vastly different to NBA
5. League's not particularly strong

There's 5 for you. But again, I must reiterate, I am only talking hypotheticals here because the money isn't in the NBDL.

Reply #141960 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

just a question.
If Newley does go back to the sixers for the NBL season and Houston or any other team needs his services will he be able to sign and leave Adelaide. If he was signed for a 10 day contract there could be alot of flying back and forth.

Reply #141982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754