Anonymous
Years ago

Cairns 07/08, thoughts?

Cairns have obvioulsy stacked their roster for the upcoming season with arguably the best starting 5 in the league, based on individuals abilities and on paper. However, everyone is saying they are a top 2 side but I have to question their bench, I dont think it is all that impressive and doesnt go that deep! I think they are going to rely heavily on the starters and this could be a telling factor come finals, what with the ageing legs of Cat, Mee, Tucker?! I havent seen jawai play and dont know much about him, how will he go this season??

Topic #12154 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

No arguments on the starting five: Mee, Black, Tucker, Cattalini, Abney. Big upgrade on last year.

Now, as for the bench: Grabau and Boodnikoff have started before - Grabau started last year. Smith was useful last year.

The Taipans made the semis last year with a bench of: Smith, Boodnikoff, Martin, Oakley more or less (can't remember if Stewart started or not). This year, I'd say it's just as good, if not better with Grabau shifted there.

Their problem, IMO, will be chemistry. Will they be like the Bullets last year, or the Bullets the year before?

Reply #141895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I think they will have an issue with Chemistry! I still doubt the capabilities of their bench Isaac.......I think they will miss Oakley, Martin and Stewart!! Grabau is handy off the bench as is Boody but you would have to say with their better 5 these 2 guys will see less court time and thus be less productive?! Also you have to remember they had Martin backing up the point last year helping out these guys and giving Mee decent rest time! This upcoming season they dont have a back up for that position, meaning Mee and Tucker will be playing plenty of mins?! I dont know, I just dont think they will be there at seasons end(Grand Final) with Chemistry and ageing legs as a problem?!?!

Reply #141900 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Stewart out for Black means they're fine at SG. Boodnikoff and Grabau will cover them at SG/SF too.

Oakley was 5 and 4/game and I think Jawai can cover that.

Abney and Tucker are big upgrades on Owens and Thornton. Like I said, these guys made the semis last year with two average imports and I don't think they've taken a step back overall.

Reply #141904 | Report this post

JJH  
Years ago

I think they will just run with 8 as follows:

1. Mee (36 mins), Black (12)
2. Black (24), Grabau (18), Bood (6)
3. Tucker (36), Bood (12)
4. Cat (36), Abney (12)
5. Abney (24), Smith (24)

With possibly Bood and Grabau picking up a few more minutes for Cat, Tucker and Mee at times.

Tough team.

Reply #141906 | Report this post

JJH  
Years ago

Woops, forgot Jawai. Let him share the spare 4/5 minutes with Smith. Cat may also play some 3.

Even tougher team!

Reply #141908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Black only 12 minutes? you have got to be kidding right?

Reply #141934 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Look again, they had: 12 minutes at PG and 24 minutes at SG.

Reply #141935 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

how ever you look at that squad it looks damn intimidating

Reply #141957 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

They've won the thing already.

Fancy anyone suggesting Martin will be missed,LOL
No wonder you're Anonymous!

Adelaide will improve big time,Tigers,Dragons(provided Martin doesn't play too much)& Kings to round out the top 5.

Bottom 3 Singapore,W'gong & Pigs.

Reply #142107 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

They will be tough but they are not home yet. If Melb sign a quality import they will be right there. Sydney would be a chance if they recruited better imports.

Reply #142120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melbourne are close to getting Sean Lampley. Will make them tough to beat, but they'll only have Anstey/Stiff in the middle.

Reply #142121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754