Camel 31
Years ago

OVER training??

Would half an hour of running,half an hour of suicides, half an hour of push ups-sit ups chin ups,half an hour of full court lay-ups,then half an hour of shooting with punishment if you miss.. be considered normal on the week nite training for u16 boys ?

Topic #12219 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

2.5 hours of training?

Reply #142582 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

ABOUT 2 and a bit hours on this nite ( Normally they do 1.5hours)

Reply #142584 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

That would be a warm up in my day.

We used to walk a mile to school, in the snow, in bare feet.

Reply #142586 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

AW o.k. just wondered, they boys seemed awfully tired at the end of it, and then some of them had to PLAY the next night.
I would have thought a bit of shooting would have ben better than ALL that running.

Reply #142588 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

that sounds a good preseason training or perhaps a top team getting ahead of themselves and losing to a bottom team

sounds a bit rough though for u16s though

oh and i think sturty missed a ;) in his post

Reply #142590 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

That's too much Camel, i'm hard but gees!

Pre-season training that would be good tho...

Reply #142591 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

SHOULD a parent say anything to the coach???????

Reply #142594 | Report this post

14u2nv  
Years ago

the best thing a parent can do is become mute when it comes to coaches - talk about them on the forum and bag them there instead - then your kid doesnt cop it

Reply #142600 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

How far does the kid want to go in BBall

Reply #142602 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

O.K. I was NOT bagging a good coach,
just curious.

Reply #142603 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

It seems excessive and Basketball training should be fun and enjoyable.

Reply #142605 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

If the coach is doing this every week, probably not the greatest coach in the world. Is it U16 Div 1/2 or 3/4/5?

However, coach may have a particular reason for that type of training at that time.

I personally wouldn't waste my valuable on-court time with running etc. I'd use every ring, every basketball and every minute available. Can run, suicide, push ups, sit ups anywhere, anytime. Club is paying court hire for those 2 hours probably. Don't need to hire an open park for fitness stuff.

May have been a "wake up call" type of training for over confident players, a desperation training for a coach running out of ideas for a mid-level team, inexperienced coach who things answer to low fitness last week will be fixed this week through that type of training, or coach just watched Coach Carter and got carried away.

(Mod: Seems informative, and the Carter line made me laugh.)

Reply #142613 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was div. 3/4/5. (I noticed div.1 and 2 DID more shooting)
NOT every week MAY have reasons.

Reply #142616 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

If Div 3/4/5, coach may not have enough ideas for drills, didn't plan training, so easy to tell them to run!

Honestly, I would expect those kids to do fitness in their own time, especially if they have aspirations of getting into the 1/2 squad.

Reply #142617 | Report this post

Camel14  
Years ago

It's excessive alright, particularly day before a game. In lower divs better to spend court time on court skills.

Reply #142625 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Sounds like a one off smash session. Break the hero's, show who is boss. The old, 'if you cant be serious next week, we will run like that again' line

Reply #142633 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

THE thing i CAN'T understand is why Camel 31 IS using RANDOM capitalisaTION!

Reply #142644 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

NOT random BUT to accentuate.

Reply #142649 | Report this post

Brick Tamland  
Years ago

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!!

Reply #142655 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

Sturty6ers - You forgot walking in the snow in bare feet "BACKWARDS"

Reply #142656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like one of the parents complained to the coach about their child, now taking it out on the whole team!

Reply #142658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

caps LOCK

Reply #142673 | Report this post

Camel14  
Years ago

What chance the coach suffers "little man" syndrome and gets a power kick from running the kids in this way?; none I suppose since all coaches only want to help the kids realise their basketball potential.

Reply #142685 | Report this post

lettuce  
Years ago

Basketball coaching, regrettably, lags behind some sports in terms of the relationship between coach and players .
There is a genuine feeling in basketball that believes, 'it was good enough in my day and nothings changed' and Sturty's, 'walking thru snow line', although tongue in cheek, reflects a lot of coaches' mind sets.
There are exceptions, but I've found coaches who run the kids to death, over do punishments, punish the group for individual errors, etc. do so because they haven't got the coaching skills to implement. You don't need much in the way of basketball nous to make kids run or do push ups.
Generally there is very little work done with basketballers to build their self-esteem and self belief structures and the 'person' is largely ignored. Explanations in basketball seem to be unnecessary hindrances and don't seem to happen often. Kids are more often made to feel stupid for not getting the play or achieving the right footwork etc.How many basketball coaches run team buiding exercises or adhere to the principles of keeping the whole team feeling good about itself?
Better coaches have discovered that if you make a young person feel valued, treat them with respect and listen to their points of view better results follow.
Blastings in basketball are the norm and it is one of the few sports still clinging to the 'yell at them' and 'humiliate them' style.
During a game there will always be a place for communicating at the top of your voice to be clear and make sure your heard and often this can be misunderstood by onlookers as can be the intensity of time outs but unfortunately, the after a loss change room can reveberate with the coaches rantings and distressed kids exit.
There are good coaches out there and they have happy kids playing for them. Unfortunately there seems to be the notion that you cant combine winning and being treated with respectand the after a loss training flogging on the training track has never worked.

Reply #142735 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

lettuce I was thinking that but I could never articulate it as well as you have. I have never liked punishing the team for individual mistakes (the coaches yell out it is a team game so everyone has to suffer) not my style. And I think also constant bagging the players loose confidence and loose interest.

Reply #142736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've lost interest in your incessant whinging Camel31...

Reply #142758 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Like everything in life most coaches reach their own level of incompetance. Then they start to lose games or they invest a lot of time in kids who turn out to be duds - then they start to yell........ kids walk away from the sport bemused........sound very familiar in this state ..........

Reply #142776 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

move to melbourne ......

Reply #142781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Camel31 was from Melbourne??

Reply #142801 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw well that's the way a lot of coaching is done. Most of you were coached that way. Punishment for disobeying instructions is different from punishing the team if a kid misses a shot.

Reply #142966 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It is of note that they beat the top team easily the next week
and that I should shut up and leave them to it.

Reply #143225 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

it is over training...i play and when we have a training with a coach trying to do that people leave...we had a jdo take over training once when i was in U14's and did stuff similar to that. told us that if we didn't do the drills he told us the way he told us we should hang up our uniforms right then and there. or that if we didn't kick...and i mean KICK...our team mates shoes until they had their feet perfectly square we should hang up our uniforms. He didn't last the week, but this was fricken under 14's, and girls at that. we were ready to leave if he came back again, the entire team. thats what happens when you train people like that and U 16's is not that much different in that respect. Treat the players like that (like dirt) and they will rebel or simply leave...at my level now (U18's) we're more likely to just smack em one in the face:P
Yes basketball at a district level is a serious game but at those levels it is still their for the fun side a lot, U18's is more focused on developing further, but even then you still need the fun aspect of the game. Who wants to play if they're not having fun, i sure dont. take the fun out of the game and there will be no more basketball

Reply #144017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754