Isaac
Years ago

Boomers team named for Europe and NZ series

Press release is pretty standard, but included this:

Recent NBA draftee Brad Newley tore ligaments in his left ankle at the end of the Gold Coast training camp but will travel with the team on their two week, eight game tour of Italy and Turkey in preparation for the all-important trans-Tasman series in August.

Also under evaluation by the medical staff is Sydney King Russell Hinder, who captained the Boomers to victory at a 4 Nations Tournament in China last month but has been named as a non-touring reserve in the squad due to an ongoing calf injury, along with South Dragon Jacob Holmes.

Sydney King Ian Crosswhite, South Dragon Matt Burston and Perth Wildcat Alex Loughton were released from duty when the squad size was reduced.

Australian Emu Patrick Mills, who is currently in Europe following the conclusion of the FIBA World Championship for Under 19 men, will join the Boomers squad on an Indigenous Talent Identification Grant, courtesy of the Australian Sports Commission.

The Team

David ANDERSEN 212cm CSKA Moscow
Adam GIBSON 188cm Brisbane Bullets
Wade HELLIWELL 213cm Siena (Italy)
Joe INGLES 203cm South Dragons
Luke KENDALL 193cm Sydney Kings
Sam MACKINNON 197cm Brisbane Bullets
Darnell MEE 198cm Cairns Taipans
Patrick MILLS 181cm Australian Institute of Sport
Brad NEWLEY 198cm Houston Rockets (USA), Adelaide 36ers
Damien RYAN 193cm Perth Wildcats
Glen SAVILLE 197cm Sydney Kings
Luke SCHENSCHER 216cm Portland Trailblazers (USA)
Jason SMITH 194cm Sydney Kings
Mark WORTHINGTON 202cm Sydney Kings

Reserves:
Russell HINDER 208cm Sydney Kings
Jacob HOLMES 198cm South Dragons

Remember that Andrew Bogut, CJ Bruton, Matt Nielsen and Chris Anstey are unavailable due to injury.

Topic #12254 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendall???? Please........ That guy is pure garbage who just bombs 3s

Reply #142899 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

David ANDERSEN 212cm CSKA Moscow C
Adam GIBSON 188cm Brisbane Bullets PG
Wade HELLIWELL 213cm Siena (Italy) C
Joe INGLES 203cm South Dragons SF
Luke KENDALL 193cm Sydney Kings PG
Sam MACKINNON 197cm Brisbane Bullets PF
Darnell MEE 198cm Cairns Taipans PG
Patrick MILLS 181cm Australian Institute of Sport PG
Brad NEWLEY 198cm Houston Rockets (USA), Adelaide 36ers SF
Damien RYAN 193cm Perth Wildcats SG
Glen SAVILLE 197cm Sydney Kings SF
Luke SCHENSCHER 216cm Portland Trailblazers (USA) C
Jason SMITH 194cm Sydney Kings SF
Mark WORTHINGTON 202cm Sydney Kings SF

Not a lot of height in that team. Lots of guards.

Reply #142900 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

4 Sydney Kings plus a 5th as a reserve.

So basically 2 of Sydneys bench player are good enough for Australia.

Reply #142902 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Looks kinda a team that will get trounced by NZ

Reply #142903 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Is it just me, or does it seem a little disrespectful to say Mills made it on an "Indigenous Talent Identification Grant" .. I wouldve thought it enough to say he made it on talent. Naming the ITIG makes it sound like he's some unknown kid coming in as a result of positive-discrimination.

Reply #142904 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I agree, I think we will have our arse handed to us on a platter by the Kiwi's.

Why does Goorj persist with Jason Smith and Saville (but the BS King connection), a little bit of youth development wouldn't go astray. I would of taken Kickert and Loughton.

Only 1 power forward.

Reply #142905 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

MacKinnon is a SF too..... I don't know why people are compulsively talking about him as a PF.

At the Magic he was SF to Tony Ronaldson's PF, at Townsville with guys like Reidy, Wiley, Owes and Tyson, West Sydney with McGregor, Bolden and Hinder and Now Brisbane with Rychart and Boucher.

In Townsville roster history he was actually listed as a G/F swingman.

Reply #142907 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Andersen runs as a PF (preferred position I'd guess), that leaves Schensch and Helliwell at C and I'm not convinced re Helliwell.

Mackinnon and/or Wortho are going to have to play PF when I think they're better as SFs.

That said, NZ are not too strong in the middle and we can probably afford to have a Mackinnon playing on their PFs. Might be a different story in Europe though.

Reply #142911 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

thats where we struggled last time, we had too much hight and NZ are usually a lot of middle heighted players. So we will match up better with them I think. We had Anstey and Bogut having to guard people like Boucher. Who are mainly like Sammy Mack. Who is a SF but played bigger.

We should be alright unless they play Shaun Marks , but I think Luke and Wade can handle him.

Reply #142913 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

Flip, But if there small, shouldn't we have the advantage on height or at least try and use that advantage. I agree Kickert and Loughton should be there. Do we need both Smith and Saville, similar types of player.
Kendall shouldn't be there fullstop!
That is a joke. It is going to be really interesting against the Kiwi's. My feeling is they will outplay us and win in the G, SG position. They probably rate about a 90 and we a 50 in this area. Unless Mills comes on in leaps and bounds we are in trouble until the next generation come on. Agree with others he is that good that no mention should be made of ITIG grant. It is really depressing though, we have all this talent around the country and OS but can't really seem to get our number 1 team on court. I don't think this team is really picked on form, or getting the best combo's on the court. Look forward to the series though and hoping we somehow get through.

Reply #142918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would go like this with that squad

PG - Mee/Gibson
SG - Newley/Ryan
SF - Mackinnon/Saville
PF - Andersen/Worthington
C - Schenscher/Helliwell
Ingles and Smith as 11-12th man

i would have like to have seen loughton,kickert,bruce,maric,ogilvy and black in the squad. i would have left out smith,saville,kendall,helliwell

Reply #142919 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I'm pretty surprised that people would want to leave out Saville- IMO he is the best 3 man in the country (McKinnon included)

Reply #142923 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Whatever happend to Barlow that Goorj gave so many minutes too last time because he was the future of the Boomers?

Oh he's not in favour cause he left the Kings...

lockstock - Saville best 3 man in the country - what about Cattalini?

Personally it is always tough to split those three - McKinnon, Saville & Cattalini. But for me Saville probably has an off not more than the other 2.

Reply #142934 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agreed - Saville's outside shot can completely desert him occasionally. Cattalini is a superior scorer, but Mackinnon is a far more well-rounded player.

Reply #142935 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

some key players out for australia, lets hope they return soon because that team arnt the best. it will be a good series against NZ.

and does anyone know how long newley will be out for with this ankle injury?

Reply #142937 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

Where is Maric at the moment? Agree he could be good in the team, must be out of favour since skipping out of the NBL. Will he ever redeem himself? I don't know about Bruce, hasn't proven himself and can't add anything extra. What about someone like Rhys Carter or James Harvey both good scorers. Agree with others Cattalini would be good as well. Why can't we all be selectors, we would do a much better job on the hoops board IMHO.

Reply #142942 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

They beat us last time, by bomming 3 balls. I watched all 4 games and we had to guard them right up on the 3 point line and got burned.

Reply #142946 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

yeah forgot about Cat - you're probably right

Reply #142949 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

I swear professionalism (money)has killed off any idea of playing for your country and putting that first. Both the socceroo's and boomers suffer from overseas players not being available. You get excuses like, our club doesn't like it, or they don't want to risk their income, or risk injury which can affect their income. I have got to say Anderson has been one of the better ones, always turning up, hope he has a blinder of a series as well. Where is Nielson (still injured), Maric? Does anyone reckon Rillie could still offer something (no better streaky 3 point shooter).

Reply #142951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David K, Rhys Carter are you serious??????????????? That guy is one of the 3 worst players in the NBL!!!

Reply #142957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

David, you might be thinking about Markovic rather than Maric in one of those posts?

Reply #142958 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Nielson's injured, Maric I'm not sure. I don't think he went to the first camp a few weeks ago? I would have put him in my team, no doubt. I rate him above Helliwell.

I want to know about Kickert and Loughton. We need a back up PF and they could have been more than useful. Surely they were unavailable?

As for Bruce, to say he hasn't proven himself and wouldn't bring anything is very harsh. He would definitely be in there, probably starting, if not for attending summer school back in the US. He will be sorely missed.

Reply #142959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loughton didn't make the final cut. Kickert I'm not sure about.

Reply #142960 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Barlow is not available due to his season ending injury last year. He is concentrating on getting back to the NBL rather than risking the Boomers. Fair enough, he had a legit injury....Unlike Anstey who seems to just keep coming up with piddly reasons.

Reply #142976 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Anstey's a b*tch

Reply #142997 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

That's the best reason yet lockstock!

Reply #143000 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Helliwell is

Reply #143054 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

( let's continue that after brief pause due to uncontrollable sneezing fit , hence hitting the return button with my forehead ).

Garbage .

J Smith does not the step anymore to mix it at international level .

Saville while being an admirable competitor has never had the physical strength , ability to create his own shot or consistently knock the long ball to warrant a gig with boy g's boomers .

Like the Gibson selection , kid steps up to the level and always plays hard .

Kendall needs to take this oppurtunity and step up .

Lockstock - Sammy Mac craps on Sav .

Reply #143056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754