Sir Swish
Years ago

Sixers Off Season Recruiting Rated B+/A

Matt McQuade has rated the Sixers Pre-season recruiting drive as a B+ and A if Newley plays. Some snippets in the article;

Brad Newley was the prize of course,If he plays, he will form one of the most devastating backcourt combos seen in years with Maher - a frightening thought for the rest of the league to contemplate.

About the only criticisms you could make about this new 36er lineup is that there don't appear to be too many guys on the roster noted for their defensive ability and a distinct lack of beef up front. But those are minor quibbles, because this is, on paper at least, the most exciting Adelaide team in a very long time. If Newley suits up, and the chemistry is right, they become very scary.

Looks like the four-time champs have suddenly become relevant again.

Full Details

Topic #12274 | Report this topic

Sir Swish  
Years ago

Lets just hope offense is the best form of defense?!

Reply #143103 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"there don't appear to be too many guys on the roster noted for their defensive ability"

What the hell is this guy on about?! Is Cooper not one of the best defensive players in the league?!? Ballinger is also an excellent inside defender and Davidson and Sutton are known for their defensive hustle. Newley and Chappell are also great defenders. Also Dench is quite a solid defender as well.

Reply #143124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't heard Newley, Chappell or Dench spoken of for their defense. Remember "Ench"? Nor Ballinger (especially from the Wollongong folk that hit this forum sometimes), though I will pay Davidson and Sutton alongside Cooper. With Newley, Sutton gets squeezed into 11th man I think so remains to be seen how much of an impact he'll have.

Reply #143125 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

IMO if Newley is in, which ive been saying the whole time since the houston Drafted Brooks the star out of oregan. Ng will be the 11th man giving Sutton the role of backup guard. Dont get me wrong Ng can light it up on the offensive end but the argument here is defence which isnt darren's strong point.
Come playoff time Sutton will get the Minutes in a tight game.

Reply #143134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not convinced. Maher would start as PG. With Davidson backing him up and providing that defensive role at guard, they just don't need another PG that much. I think Sutton will be insurance in case Maher goes down with injury. (Imagining Nino saying "Hey, you take that back!")

Reply #143137 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Body language suggests to me that Newley may not be staying and if slingers are in the comp then left over Aussie players will be at a premium.

Reply #143165 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

You dont think Newley came here cheaply do you?

Reply #143166 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

the price is not the prob. Who's going to be available if Newley goes???

Reply #143212 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Can I ask what you mean by 'Body language suggests to me that Newley may not be staying'?

Reply #143247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James, Cooper maybe able to block a shot but he is a whimp when it comes to the low post and general intimidation techniques. You need a bully in there and Cooper is not that

Reply #143270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754