basketball
Years ago

Scholarship selection camp

Congratulations to Tess Madgen, Bree Farley, Kelsey Ireland and Georgia Minear who have made the scholarship selection camp to be held at the AIS in September.

Other athletes attending:

-Adrie Shiels (ACT)
-Sophie Kleeman (NSW Country)
-Razzearne Muir (NSW Country)
-Kristen Barnes (NSW Metro)
-Carly Boag (NSW Metro)
-Nicole How (NSW Metro)
-Michelle Joy (NSW Metro)
-Kate Oliver (NSW Metro)
-Jillian Haughton (QLD North)
-Gretel Tippett (QLD North)
-Catherine Guest (TAS)
-Elizabeth Cambage (VIC Metro)
-Rachel Jarry (VIC Metro)
-Alice Kunek (VIC Metro)

Topic #12367 | Report this topic

BallBoy  
Years ago

Well done for those girls .. does anyone know when boys 18 & 16s are available..

Reply #143992 | Report this post

jumbotron  
Years ago

tess has always impressed me - i hope she makes it

Reply #144028 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

Nathan Spear made it!

Reply #144049 | Report this post

BallBoy  
Years ago

yep rightly so...
does anyone know others or where on web can find

Reply #144051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i belive it is spehr. i could be wrong though

Reply #144052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck for the girls who made it....there seems to be one girl that perhaps should be in the mix...southern tigers with blonde hair.......perhaps that she is not in sasi....why should that matter...

Reply #144099 | Report this post

Welllllll  
Years ago

Well done to all the kids who have been asked to trial.(#144099) it is funny how people keep saying that sasi is not the be all and end all of Bball in this state; but prehaps the kids asked to trial for a scholarship position prove that these people who constantly bag the program just might be wrong.

Reply #144143 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

blonde hair tiger girl said no to SASI i think. Is a great b/baller but b/ball not her life??

Reply #144152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

....but then again maybe you should ask Brad Newley.

Reply #144157 | Report this post

BMBR1  
Years ago

What is the web site to have a look at, please??

Reply #144214 | Report this post

basketball  
Years ago

i haven't been able to find a website for it! I just got the information from one of the girls

Reply #144218 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

wHAT ABOUT the big post player from NSW C ??? (16's)G

Reply #144516 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

How many of those girls are bottom age?? I tthought that all of them were but Im not sure

Reply #144533 | Report this post

patto  
Years ago

3 top age 16's
8 top age 18's
7 bottomage 18's
(i think)

Reply #144547 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What about the sa girls are they bottom or top age

Reply #144553 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Its a bit of a laugh really. Good luck to the girls but SA country did come 11th. Interesting to note that 3 of them made the camp. You can tell where Dean Kingsman came from.

Reply #144556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha agree with anon above. same amount of sa country girls as vic metro girls! 1st vs 11th!

Reply #144557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

makes you wonder why bother. Its rigged anyway

Reply #144579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

patto,

One of the girls listed is bottom age 16s.

Reply #144677 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

Yep and boy have they been putting in the hours with her

Reply #144757 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

Not one top age Vic Metro girls player. Is this camp for ITC participants only? Do you have to PAY for ITC or play the political game to be allowed to try out for a tax-payer funded institution. Are they taking the best or are they trying to create a level playing field between the states? This will only create a decrease in overall ability of elite basketballers, surely a prime example is the VJBL competition.

Reply #144788 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Amazed

I agree 100%. Not sure how you win the tournament and get so few at the camp and they really WON - beat NSW Metro twice easily. Seems odd to me - were other kids playing in those games? - me thinks politics are very much at work here and it sucks big time.

Reply #144796 | Report this post

Frog 72  
Years ago

AIS and Aus camps are about potential to represent Australia. Maybe the selectors feel that there are players in this team that do not have as much potential to represent Australia than those who have been chosen. I think the word "politics" is used way too liberally these days. The people that make these selections know what they are doing, that's why Aus is the second ranked basketball country in the world.

Reply #144799 | Report this post

Grote 21  
Years ago

Amazed and Anon - i guess the selection just goes to show what a great "TEAM" Vic Metro was, whereas other states just had teams with great players.

Reply #144818 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Frog 72 when you watch it unfold before your very eyes it's hard to deny some times. Yes I agree that in some cases they get it right however there seems to be a movement to college ball - are all those players second rate?

Grote 21 - yes Vic Metro are a great team and i am very happy for all those kids who made selections from every state. Sometimes it's just hard to watch the ones who don't make it and often don't get a fair chance.

Reply #144869 | Report this post

bballer33  
Years ago

gretel tippet is from qld south...she's only just turned 14! :) bottom age 16's.

Reply #144870 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

John Marriott and Clybrin McMath are also headed there.

Reply #144873 | Report this post

BMR1  
Years ago

Who made the U16 Girls selection, does anyone know and how many??

Reply #144878 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

2 FROM sac
3 talls from SAM, one of which cant run real well

Reply #144880 | Report this post

BMR1  
Years ago

Did Emma Hooley make it?? What about Vic Metro who made it from that U16 girls team??

Reply #144881 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

Hooley no I dont reckon.

Reply #144883 | Report this post

BMR1  
Years ago

sorry to quiz, but who were the girls from Country and Metro that made it?

Reply #144884 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

Seekamp,Smith,Minear,Richards,Harris

Reply #144886 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

Not sure how many Vic Metro, will ask my colleague...dont know how many in total invited??

Reply #144887 | Report this post

BMR1  
Years ago

Vic Metro so far as I know is:

Rebecca Allen
Rebecca Cole
Ashleigh Stonehouse
Lauren McKenzie

I am surprise Hooley from SAC did not make it though??

Reply #144888 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

I am Vic and word here is lots are suprised .....very, very unlucky

Reply #144892 | Report this post

BMR1  
Years ago

Do you know much about the Vic girls that were invited???

Reply #144894 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

Nope, would love to see a list somewhere?

Reply #144895 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Does any one know who made 16s Men

Reply #144922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Somehow, i just cannot believe this, not one SA metro girl got invited compared to the three from SA country(surpisingly didn't SA metro beat country) 2 Players from metro performed outstandingly well and didn't even get a look. Also i dont see even one WA girl in that list to and they did not finish too badly in the end aswell

Has this been published or is it just being made up, id like to see an official announcement about this

Reply #145479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ohh and i also forgot to smention that the girl from ACT that is mention i beleive is alread as the AIS

Reply #145480 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

Anonymous ..

Just thought I'd correct that, Shiels from ACT is not a current AIS scholarship holder. Girls from Canberra on current scholarship are McAppion and Rowe.

Reply #145482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when is the seection camp and who do you think are certainties?

Reply #145845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HOW MANY GIRLS WERE ACTUALLY INVITED TO THE CAMP AND HOW MANY SCHOLARSHIPS ARE THERE ON OFFER. wHAT ABOUT THAT GIRL HOPE FROM VIC DIDNT SHE THINK SHE WAS A CERTAINTY.

Reply #145848 | Report this post

Life Happens  
Years ago

Hope in Vic never thinks things are certainty. Her motto on her emails is something like you work hard and hope. She is in the training squad for WNBL Bulleen and hoping she might get a spot. Heard her say that she wasn't thinking of college as her school grades should get her into whatever course she wants here in Australia. She does one-on-ones with Nick Mirrich and Darren Smith.

Reply #145852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Guest from tassie like? Should she make it or is that just political? What position does she play?

Reply #145892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks Nigel life does happen.

Reply #145916 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think that there are about 8 spots? You need to look at the make up of the current squad and think what do they look for? they currently have 2 points 2 shooting and a forward/centre. If you're a big things are looking pretty good.

Reply #146033 | Report this post

Basket 42  
Years ago

I hear that the camp is on at the moment. Is that true and if so has anyone heard who is doing well. BA hasnt said anything about it publicly. Why?

Reply #147280 | Report this post

DR Who  
Years ago

Who attended the boys camp and how many positions are available? Who's likely to be invited/ anyone with ANY news??

Reply #147286 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Because it's a normal selection camp and they never say anything about it! Boys were last week and I understand that both camps have been very successful. Good luck to all attending.

Reply #147435 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

How did Tess go and the camp. Is she going to be given a scholarship?
What about the other sa girls, has there been any positve feedback?

Reply #147518 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I guess that the huge girl from Vic is a dead certainty and what about the other Vic girls? Also seems to be a few contenders from NSW.

Anyone got any ideas on which players should be invited to be in the next batch?

Reply #147519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah big girl from vic a certainty.
other than that wide open depends how many they are looking for and what positions. tess will be around the mark. Kunek has to be looked at. also Barnes IMO, very hard to match up on.

Reply #147537 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

they all worked hard - came home exhausted! and will find out in the next 2-4 weeks and that big kid's got game!

Reply #147566 | Report this post

DR Who  
Years ago

How many boys spots are up for grabs? There seems to be many more boys than girls up at the institute. Why is this so? Any boys been offered yet? Surely someone has some gossip!

Reply #147666 | Report this post

DR Who  
Years ago

Anyone kknow why there were not Many Victorian girls being looked at. Apparently ther were no top age Vic girls at the camp. Is this correct? Surely there must be some strong girls in that age group.

Reply #147668 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

That's the question many are asking. A team that won every game. So mnay of the girls in Vic have made 3 or 4 state teams now. Surely at this age all of these players should be looked at.

Reply #147711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems you have a very good shot at it if you have Forestville or SA Country breeding for some unknown reason.
As to why they're not looking at the Vics-there's no need -they're already earmarked.

Reply #147716 | Report this post

DR Who  
Years ago

So Minear, Madgen and ? are going to make it??? How can you say that there are Vics that are earmarked without going to the camp. If that is the case there must be girls from elsewhere already earmarked.

Reply #147727 | Report this post

Amanda Jones  
Years ago

Selections will be made from those who attended camp and that's it sad to say for those who did not attend. There are bottom age kids who have been in the vic squad 3 years, have gone through undefeated at 3 nationals and have not made camp ever. Go figure?

Reply #147730 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

Which bottom age girls would seem to have the best chances? Apart from the big Vic girl there must be some other girls that stand out. Anyone heard any feedback from the camp? How tall is the big Vic?

Reply #147952 | Report this post

william  
Years ago

re amanda jones....no vic country kids at all so whats your beef. Still seems as though SA is the chosen state with the girls ... it will be intersesting to see how many SA girls get through. I I can think of a few kids who were stiff not to make the camp. Good to see that they didnt take girls just because they had been to previous camps.
I hope that they are smart with who they take and dont just take ball hogs with no brains.

Reply #147954 | Report this post

amanda jones  
Years ago

William - I agree. I have no beef with the process and share your thoughts re previous camps. My comment was more if your weren't there you won't be chosen rather then some kids were already in and didnt need to go! I was responding to post 147711 re vic kids. I still say good luck to all those who attended!

Reply #148005 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

the tall vic girl is 203cm

Reply #148007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point, the girls who are obvious selections do not need to go and this would give a few fringe players the coodous they deserve.

Reply #148048 | Report this post

Marg  
Years ago

I believe girls group have added and xtra 4 or 5, anyone know??

Reply #148702 | Report this post

Fox  
Years ago

If they add another big surely it will be Cambage! No one near her size!

Reply #149015 | Report this post

Fox  
Years ago

When are the announcements made for next years group?

Reply #149016 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Fox should be out in the next week me thinks and also no-one near her skill as she showed at nationals!

Reply #149255 | Report this post

giraffe  
Years ago

hear that scholarship recipients have been notified.....rumour has it Tess????

Reply #152862 | Report this post

ed  
Years ago

is that true? does anyone have any info?

Reply #153841 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Reply #502773 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754