David K
Years ago

Is it time to drop imports from the NBL?

Just thought i would throw this out there.

Is it time that the NBL limit imports to 1 instead of 2?

Look how much talent there is in Australia now and guys who are NBL ready aren't getting spots on rosters. In the past you could argue that the imports improve the league quality, bring in crowds etc. I don't think this is the case anymore or not to the same extent.

We would still be getting exciting imports in the league, but i think also improving our home-grown talent at the same time. What do other people think?

Topic #12370 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

name me a squad of aussies (not playing overseas) that are nbl ready that aren't in teams already. I reckon singapore would like a few tips too :)

Reply #144007 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Who are these "NBL ready" Australians who cant get a roster spot?

IMO Most clubs these days have a bench that is average at best so without some quality from OS we would have a far lower standard

Reply #144008 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think a limit of two is the best.

Reply #144009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should crank it up to 5, it would vastly improve the quality

Reply #144011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David K - what drug is it that you indulge in? *TIC*
Imports actually raise the standard of the game - like it or hate it - they generally come from higher levels of comp (read as greater population bases) and therefore have had more exposure to comp - if genuine team people, they can raise the level of our comp and help to develop our local talent.

Reply #144012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only need 1, extra salry saved could go to OZ player and maybe keep them here?

Reply #144030 | Report this post

Scared of change  
Years ago

The 2 import system continues to work well; I vote no change.

Reply #144033 | Report this post

fghfgh  
Years ago

If we drop imports back to 1 who are we going to blame losses on.

Reply #144037 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

It's not the number of imports but rather the number of naturalised imports which could possibly be looked at. Although I do not believe there is a problem at the moment. I can remember when the Geelong Supercats had 5 U.S or naturalised players on their team. Now THAT was ridiculous.

Reply #144090 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I prefer 2 myself, but if it were to just be 1 I would personally like to see that player excluded from the salary cap. If a club really wants to pay some decent NBA player a million to come out and play then great. Bit like the A League have.
Of course, we would need a league to actually enforce the salary cap to begin with.

Reply #144111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't have to have 2 imports, they can play with none if they want to!

Reply #144131 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

With the ever expanding league heading to asia and gold coast and new zealand in the last number of years - thinning the quality of available talent seems like a silly idea. Thats one extra aussie per team, is there really another 12-13 NBL quality aussies out there not already in the NBL, College or Europe??

Reply #144133 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Skip, what would that do for the rest of the team's morale if one player was on $1 million. Look at Adelaide and how Brett Maher is right up there as a quality player compared with any import. Would you pay Maher $200K and the import $1 million? How do you justify that when Maher is doing just as much for the team?

Reply #144137 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If you believe Australians are now good enough to support the NBL themselves, you should be increasing the number of imports to 3.

With all that Australian talent (as you suggested) around, teams wouldn't need to bring in the 3rd import.

Reply #144264 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

EC - If they were getting that sort of money, I would expect their quality to be better than they currently are.

Reply #144288 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

2 is the perfect number..the league wouldnt be as strong without the imports...

Reply #144361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754