Bizzy
Years ago

Bobcats & The Playoffs

With the acquisition of J-Rich and the return of Gerald Wallace can anyone see the Bobcats making a significant push for the playoffs this season?

They are based in the extremely weak East, but in a Division with two/three teams that can actually play, those teams being the Heat, Magic and the Wizards. However an injury to Agent 0 and the Wiz fall out of contention and the Heat, well IMO they are just too old now.

In the East last season, a 40 win season got the Magic into the playoffs, so as a Bobcats fan, I would be looking at at least a 45 win season, 12 more than in 06/07.

Is this extra 12 wins realistic? I don't see why not, however they are going to have to really try and get off to a fast start as 28 of their last 31 games are on the road.

Will a nucleus of the experienced J-Rich, the mighty Emeka, Felton and Gerald Wallace, be able to get 45 wins? I would like to think so, I think J-Rich adds an extra dimension to them and if Morrison gets a haircut so he can actually see where he's shooting. This season is really the time for Sean May to step up and make a real run at the playoffs.

The Cats are still a few years of being a real contender in the playoffs but given time as they are a fairly smart head office, and are making the right moves and trying to build a team, not pull a Miami Heat and buy a championship.

So after all of that ranting, what's my actual question? I'm wondering what people think the chances are of the Bobcats making a run at the finals this year?

Topic #12377 | Report this topic

Boost  
Years ago

playoffs i would think are a possibility, but i doubt that they can make the finals.. You can count on okafor getting injured again, which will leave them depleted in the big man department..

Reply #144065 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

They have a good chance of making the playoffs if everyone stays healthy! j rich will be a good contributor.they can get the extra 12 wins.
So i say first round playoffs but early exit.

Reply #144068 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Watch out for Richardson to have a 25ppg year, and Wallace to avge close to a double double. Playoffs, out early, but good stepping stone to next year.
Will they have room for free agent bidding next offseason?

Bizzy aren't you a Piston man?

Reply #144070 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

They were only 8 or 9 games out of the playoffs last season with substantial injuries. With a close to or full side then with the improvements they've made no doubt they are a playoff team.

Reply #144072 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I am DB5, but have been a huge Cats fan since their inception.

Reply #144075 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Before the Boston trades (Allen and KG) I was happy to say that the Cats would make the playoff, competing with Boston, Knicks, Atlanta and Wizards for the 8th spot. Im now thinking that Boston moves into the playoffs along with the Cavs, Nets, Pistons, Bulls, Raptors, Heat. I think one of these teams will fail to make it due to injuries or something like that.

Leaves one or possibly two position open with the Wizards, Bucks, Cats, Orlando, Knicks and Atlanta fighting it out.

The only 2 teams that doesn't stand a chance are Indiana, the franchise is in a mess, and I don't rate Philly all that highly.

For the Cats to make the playoffs, McMay has to give up the lap dances and donuts and become a dedicated NBA player. He has the talent, just not the commitment.

Okafor and Crash need to dodge injuries and play 75+ games. Felton needs to step up and be a 35+ minute PG and improve his shooting. Their numbers are good and need to remain the same as last season. Okafor is my tip for DPOY.

Fabio needs to continue with the form he showed last year.

Morrison needs to take a large batch of "toughen the &*#@ up" pills and start playing like the 3rd pick. J-Rich will get Morrison more free looks and take some pressure off.

J-Rich just needs to be J-Rich and the squad desperately needs a veteran PG.

I think the East is going to be an extremely close race this season, but once again no match for the West come the Finals.

Reply #144076 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Understood Bizzy.

Is there any cash left, there are a couple of alright big men that are free agents still, possibly need insurance in case Okafur does go down.

MJ seems to be making some good moves in the front office, please don't think of pulling on a jersey though!

Reply #144079 | Report this post

I dont their defense is good enough... Okafor is great but he cant make up for every bad play.

Reply #144092 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

and I thought this thread was going to be a slanging match over TRs Bobcats......

Reply #144101 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

people haven't had enough yeagermeisters yet... or beer

Reply #144102 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Mmmmmmm beer......

Reply #144105 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Defence? Thats not the bobcats issue. Wallace is a good defender as with Felton. They just couldnt score enough points in previous seasons. Hopefully Richardson will help this issue.

Reply #144135 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The bobcats have two of the best defenders in the league in Okafor (my tip for DPOY) and Crash. Possibly behind Bowen and Duncan as the best defensive tandem in the league. If he can get past Crash, then you have Okafor defending the rim. The cats new rookie, Davidson is no slouch at blocking either.

The Cats have always had problems putting the ball in the hoop. J-Rich gives the Cats a legitimate crunch time scorer.

Just missing out on the playoffs next season. Have to address the back-up point guard and I'd like to see a better starting centre than Brezec. Maybe draft a centre with our pick, someone like Ogilvy or if we can get a high enough pick, Jordan, Lopez or Hibbert

Reply #144138 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Tr,

Agreed we have one of the best defensive tandem in the league, especially if Mek can stay healthy, that's my biggest fear, Mek is going to go down with injury again.

Would it be worth trying to trade (if needed) to get a higher pick in the 08 draft? And trying for Hibbert? Or would be better of just taking someone like Tomic a bit further down?

In terms of a back-up PG, I think I'd like to see them go for a vet, and try and pick up another young PG in the draft. Having a vet PG that is willing to help Felton grow would be ideal IMO.

Reply #144151 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Pretty much hit the nail on the head Bizzy. Felton shouldn't have to play 38+ mins a game, and I'm not sure he'd handle it.

I'd like to see the Cats try and move McMay and Harrington for another young and up coming big. McMay is talented, but just can't get his sh*t together. I'd do a McMay and Harrington for Nick Collision type of deal. I'd even do McMay, Harrington and a future 1st for Kwame Brown.

Just before the last draft, the Nets dangled the 17th pick for McMay. The cats turned it down because there was zero chance of McMay passing the physical. They didn't want the rest of the league to know just how damaged he really is.

The cats had the vet in Brevin Knight, but I think he wanted major minutes. A vet that can come in and play 10-12 mins would be great, but can also step up and play as a start if required. I'd like Darrell Armstrong, but he wants to goto a contender.

Reply #144194 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

TR,
There is not a snowball's chance in hell of getting Kwame whilst MJ is in charge..

Unless he needs a sparring partner.

Reply #144196 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

TR, I love Collison - A trade for him would be good. A guy that rebounds like his life depends on it is just what the Cats need.

With the Heat looking to move J-Williams would it be worth looking at him?

Reply #144197 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

J-Williams would also want substantial minutes, so it might not work but if he is willing to play only a back up role he would be a good player for thew cats to get

Reply #144392 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754