Promoter
Years ago

Mens ABL Final ~ Norwood v North

The two premier teams of the competition all season long and two teams with absolute wealth of talent.

In three previous encounters inches have separated the results. Three classic battles and now a fitting end awaits.

Even the Woollocott Medal was fought out between these two teams as was Coach of the year and 2 representatives from each club with All Star 5 honors gives you a taste of how good this game will be.

North will be coming off their best game of the season after having the reigning Champs number from start to finish last Saturday night.

Norwood on the other hand will be fresh and ready to go, having played only 1 game in the last three weeks of action. A positive or a negative?

Key players for Norwood will be the silky Todd Mathews, big man David Cooper and bench tiro Dan Thompson.

For North it will be Woollocott Medalist Dusty Rychart, scoring machine Eze Burdon or big man Nick Slambour.

But maybe what makes this contest so good is anyone on these rosters can hurt you on a given night. Namews like Webber, Foster, Krause for Norwood and Zorich, Kersten, Rowe for North. It promises to be a hell of a game.

Norwood have the win loss spread over the year 2 to 1 but i think the weeks off will hurt Norwood and if North can play near where they did last week the game will be theirs in a close one. North by 4

Topic #12393 | Report this topic

ostrich53  
Years ago

I think norwood will get this one by 5 or so. Cooper to hold dusty under 20 points and matthews to absolutly destroy who ever north try and chuck at him (kersten, zorich, rowe or burdon).

Reply #144153 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

I would like to see Dusty steal the ball of Coop mid court and stroll in for an easy lay up :)

Reply #144177 | Report this post

ding a ling  
Years ago

and then have coop chase him down so he can send it to the cheap seats!

Reply #144257 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I think North in a close one. Their first GF win since 1983. North by 3.

Let's see, where was I in 1983?

Just moved over to Melbourne in my second year as an Apprentice......

Reply #144267 | Report this post

Hoddy Sweats  
Years ago

Interesting fact which was in the North v Forestville write up on the CABL website about North's last Championship.
The quote "North now has a shot at glory, but is in unfamiliar territory. When the Rockets last won a title, Justin Schueller was 2 years old, Nick Hambour was 1 and Michael Zorich and Erik Burdon, who entertained the crowd with a post-game high-five extravaganza worthy of Matt Garrison, were yet to grace the world with their presence"
Hope it is a monumental occasion for them. North by 11

Reply #144331 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

North by 10-15

Dusty for GF MVP and he will grace the Dome with a lazy 30 and 20 performence which should still be happening every second week in the summer........

Reply #144343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im surprised to see nobody giving the flames a chance! pretty fucking good team!!

Reply #144360 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

A Grand Final win would be a nice Birthday pressy for D-Rych.

Reply #144379 | Report this post

Flinders 15  
Years ago

Norwood all the way

Reply #144390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u know it!!! go u fuckin flames!!

Reply #144482 | Report this post

meat head  
Years ago

hmm typical meat head Norwood response

Reply #144483 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Carn the Flames.
Matthews goes for 30+ and kills anyone who tries to defend him.
Norwood by 3

Reply #144487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meat head response?! You KNOW Norwood is going to mop the floor with those morons!

Reply #144495 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #144495 that was quite a moronic response. Both teams have earned their place in the grand final. I see no morons there.

Reply #144498 | Report this post

Hearts Alumni  
Years ago

Good Luck Coach Schueller and the North boys, from all Sacred Heart members past and present.
North by 8

Reply #144500 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Too close to call
North better 3pointers plus Dusty.
But young, nervous..
There's an old saying in basketball 'get loose' whoever settles down and gets loose will win.

Reply #144520 | Report this post

true  
Years ago

I think people forget that Hambour, Zorich, Burdon, Quigley all have played minutes in a Grand Final before in the 2003 loss to Forestville. They have also been frequent visitors to the finals since then so the majority of their team althouh young have very good finals experience. Dusty obviously has played in GF's before so if anything they should be the better prepared team. That and along with having 4 really good hitouts in the past 4 weeks( 2 against the eagles and 2 against the flames), whereas Norwood have not had that good a lead up really.

Extremely close to call tho!

Hopefully overtime for all the neutral fans out there!

Reply #144526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty good team for a bunch of meat heads dont ya think??? id like to hear u tell that to their face!!

Reply #144541 | Report this post

Boydy  
Years ago

Flames by 12. Schueller will crumble with the pressure. too many donuts my friend!

Ottey MVP

Reply #144549 | Report this post

Flinders 15  
Years ago

Flames by 4! It will be close! Goooo Flames!

Reply #144572 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't believe any of the Flames have played in a championship, I may be wrong. If not, you need to factor in nerves.

Reply #144581 | Report this post

Billy Fikes  
Years ago

Rockets No Doubt!!!

Reply #144593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krause Matthews and one or 2 others where in the 1999 GF, I doubt the nerves will get Cooper either

Reply #144595 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754