jimmy de bas
Years ago

ABL GF / Life Members

I was just wondering why the former greats of the hardwood were forced to pay the $10 entry fee to Saturday's night Grand Finals. For the past 30 years life membership has entitled cardholders to all games bar the NBL and International games, so why the change this year? I personally think they should be given a little more respect than this... considering all the entertainment they have given to SA Basketball fans over the years.

Topic #12445 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

I would like to see SA Club life members given a pass to all CABL games and in particular to the grand final as recognition and respect.

Reply #144843 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

Here, here.

Reply #144853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was an absolute disgrace.

Wasnt the money that was the issue, but the fact that it is now a new organisation that is choosing to ignore those players, coaches and administrators who have served the sport in the past.

Reply #144856 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Interesting that the Life Members were required to pay the admission fee - wonder if they were required to pay for a car park. Given the fact that their presence was acknowledged during both games (and they were provided with drinks and nibblies at half time in both games) then it is surprising about paying (maybe they were subsidising the food/drink).
It also appears that not ALL Life Members were indeed invited to attend. Have personally spoken to some Life Members who had not been invited to attend. I wonder how accurate the Association's records are. It certainly appears that the current administration has not learned anything from the mistakes of previous administrators (and their assistants). Maybe they will eventually get the message and get it right.

Reply #144901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely you invite all life members and then get a bit of return on food/bev and ticket sales for any friends/kids that come with them?

Reply #144907 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

I have been a player life member almost since its inception. I have a badge and had a card which disintegrated long ago. This gave me entry to "district" games at Apollo although I did manage to talk my way into games at F/ville, Marion etc.
I haven't had any communication in many years,so don't know what my membership entitles me to anymore.

Reply #144908 | Report this post

Informed  
Years ago

How do you qualify for Life Membership?

As a player / coach / referee / stop

Reply #144909 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I dont know about these days but there used to be different degrees of life membership too. There used to be life membership which you got if you played, coached, officiated in x games. Then there was a life membership if you had contributed over a long period of time ie someone who had been volunteering for many years in different positions from playing, coaching, board level, on the door etc etc etc these people got their name up on the board in the board room at the dome. Well that is my understanding of how it used to work

Reply #144912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame BSA shame

Reply #144946 | Report this post

Stan Wickham (and others) would be turning in their graves!

Don't forget the people that were here before you BSA.

Reply #144978 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Could BSA contact life members once a year??? invite them to grand final and as Isaac mentions
extra numbers coming..

Reply #144982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac and Camel 31, the fact that they would bring in others to the game is irrelevant...they should be invited simply because THEY SHOULD BE INVITED!

Reply #145001 | Report this post

NC  
Years ago

Considering Basketball SA only came into existance 12months ago how is it that they already have life members?

As far as I can tell they don't.

Why then do all BASA Life Members have to receive free entry? Do they get free entry to 36ers or Lightning matches? No.

Basketball SA clearly invited those it chose to and those it deemed to have had a large enough impact on local South Australian basketball as many have said there were VIPs who did receive free entry and special attention.

Just as we have learnt to deal with the fact the 36ers and Lightning are now new entities isn't it time we accept that Basketball SA is as well?

Just my two cents ...

Reply #145008 | Report this post

S. Vidmar  
Years ago

I'm a life member and i got in for free, have done to all games at the dome for the last 5 or so years.

flashed the card and walked straight in.

Reply #145020 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

In my case the criteria was playing over 300 games and 10 years or more.

Reply #145065 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

NC 145008. It is a shame Basketbell SA is only 12 months old and doesn't have any life members.
Wonder about previous Woolacott medals and State titles?
History is a bit of promotion of the game.

Reply #145085 | Report this post

So by BSA's reckoning, West and North must be the Inaugural ABA Champions...

Reply #145140 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

ABL Champions.........

Reply #145146 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

145001, sure - I'm just trying to remove any perceived financial disincentive to them doing it.

144982, quarterly mail-out (email if on a budget) keeping them up to date, arranging social functions, inviting them to specific events, etc.

Reply #145346 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I saw some footballers being inducted into ' Hall of Fame '.
very exciting and emotional night !!

Reply #145354 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754