Kent Brockman
Years ago

Warne, Waugh and Donaghy

Donaghy has admitted to passing on information about games to buddies so that they could bet on games.

Basically using his insider knowledge to make a judgement call on the winner.

The guy is facing half a million dollar fine plus jail time.

My question is how is what he has done any different to what Warne and Waugh got caught doing in cricket?

Both instances the charged was involved directly in the game and potentially altered its outcome.

To me it highlights how lucky cricket was to get away relatively free compared to what the NBA and Donaghy faces.

Topic #12483 | Report this topic

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Not surprising though. Cricket is so much smaller. Some countries havent even heard of cricket, and it's really a very low profile sport - with players being paid peanuts compared to top NBA players. To me, it would be the same as any form of scandal in the world of Korfball (no offence to korfball players), or curling.

Reply #145352 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Donaghy could affect the game directly with his decisions ... Warne and Waugh told some guy about the pitch and the weather

Reply #145358 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

bad call there melvin . Cricket is huge it generates more money in gambling revenue than any other sport .
It is the national passion in a country with over a billion people .

It is just that the problem is so huge within the game and still dominated by controlling mafia that an incident will never gain the same outcry .

However if an umpire was to busted in the same way Donaghy was i think it would send some shockwaves .

Stern is a tough leader and hats off to him for taking his usual stance .

Reply #145359 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Warne and Waugh told the bookies the conditions of the pitch and the makeup of the team, hardly what I would call "potentially altered its outcome."

Reply #145361 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

MW what if Donaghy used the same defence?

What i am reading is that they have done effectively the same thing.

You can not prove or disprove that Donaghy made certain calls on purpose the same as we can not prove that Warney deliberately bowled a wide first ball of over x. or that Waugh through his wicket when he was on x runs.

All of them have admitted solely to providing information that is not readily available to the general public.

Warney's take on a wicket would be a lot more relative to the match than mine for example the same way as Donaghy would know players strengths against opponents a lot more intimately than most.

Reply #145364 | Report this post

Mute Mal  
Years ago

Reply #145369 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I dare you to go to India and say that cricket is a small and unpopular sport!

Reply #145458 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Low profile sport. Thats why it has 20x the participants and 50x the fans in this great country that you live in. Dont be a clown cricket is the ONLY Australian summer sport that has any kind of profile. Basketball cant even get on free to air TV here and cricket gets 7 hours a day for 5 days in a row. Yes some countries havent heard of it and yes it doenst have a big profile in some countries. Doesnt change the fact that both of these incidents are very similar and should have been dealt with as severly as each other.

As for MW's comment:
Warne and Waugh told the bookies the conditions of the pitch and the makeup of the team, hardly what I would call "potentially altered its outcome."
You obviously havent played cricket mate the pitch is so so vital to the outcome. Why do you think its so hard for the aussies to win in india.

Reply #145471 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

How did it alter the outcome of the match though? Living up to your name sake dude...

Reply #145542 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Warne or Waugh telling a bookie about the pitch has jacksh*t about the outcome of a game. If it was a curator doctoring the pitch to suit a squad and telling a bookie then some serious damage could be done.

Cricket also has something like a coin toss with can't be corrupted.

Australia actually won the last test series in India in 2004.

Reply #145544 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

TR
what they are all alleged to have done is the same thing.

Donaghy has not been pinged for changing the out come of a game, nor waugh or warne.

They all helped people with information that could sway how they bet.

Reply #145550 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Most def Kent, but the impact an umpire has on the game of basketball surely is greater than a cricket player telling a bookie about a pitch. A ref in basketball can sway the amount of shots taken by a certain team and who plays major minutes in the game. It's pretty hard for a cricket umpire to punt someone from the field unless they start making up dodgy decisions in relation to batsmen.

If I was a bookie and Waugh told me that McGrath and Warne were out injured then (depending on who the Aussie were playing) I'd chuck a pineapple on the opposition. Same if Utah was playing Houston and the ref told me that T-Mac and Yao were out, I'd put my house on Utah so I agree, it's the same issue and Waugh and Warne both dodged bullets with a lot of ducking and weaving.

I was bitching and moaning about the 'pitch' issue from above as the pitch is used by both teams and the coin toss is unpredictable. A curator doctors a pitch for the fast bowlers of the home team, but then the home team looses the toss and is sent in to bat. Advantage is then swayed away from the bookies. Potential for a huge loss of money resulting all from the toss of a coin (sounds like my two-up experience last ANZAC day).

Reply #145568 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754