Isaac
Years ago

Sixers - 11 games into the season

After 11 games in the 2004/05 Philips Championship NBL season, the Adelaide 36ERS are in fourth spot on the ladder with 7 wins and 4 losses.

Above them are the Hawks (8-3), Kings (9-4) and Wildcats (8-4). Chasing hard are the Pirates (5-5) and Bullets (6-7), both with 2 game winning streaks.

The Sixers, as with the Hawks, are unbeaten at home. Adelaide, though, are 1-4 on the road with a lot of room to improve; their only road win coming at the commencement of the season when they defeated the bottom-placed Breakers in New Zealand.

The Sixers still boast 3 of the top 4 scorers in the league in Farley (22.6 PPG, #2), Maher (21.5 PPG, #3) and Rychart (20.8 PPG, #4). Jacob Holmes (11.6 PPG) and Oscar Forman (10.0 PPG) round out the top 5 scorers for Adelaide, both in double figures.

On the boards, Rychart (8.7 RPG) has taken a marginal lead over the previously rebound-dominant Holmes (8.6 RPG). Forman (7.1 RPG) holds third while David Cooper (6.5 RPG) is making a strong run. No Adelaide player makes the NBL top ten however.

In assists, captain Maher is the standout and league leader with 6.5 APG. Holmes (3.9 APG) and Rychart (3.2 APG) provide solid passing options from the forward positions.

The steal title after 11 games lies in the hands of Farley (1.8 SPG, #7 in NBL) who leads Maher (1.4 SPG) and Rychart (1.2 SPG).

With blocks, Cooper's recent increase in minutes has seen him leap up to 2.3 BPG (NBL #3). Forman is steady on 1.2 BPG (NBL #10) and Holmes and Farley have 0.5 BPG each for third spot.

Shooting accuracy shows Adelaide with three players making 50% or more of their attempts from the field. Paul Rees is making 53.2% of his field goals (NBL #7), while Rychart (51%) and Forman (50%) are also demonstrating their selectiveness with shot options.

From further out, Forman maintains his accuracy with 50% from three point territory (equal #1 in NBL). Maher has made 28/64 for 43.8% (NBL #6), but it's a solid drop down to Farley's 37.9% from there.

From the charity stripe, Maher (84.3%, NBL #8) and Farley (80%) are the reliable options, while Holmes is a close third best (76.9%).

No Sixers make it to NBL Top Ten in the negative categories of turnovers and fouls.

The next third of the season sees Adelaide playing at home 5 times, and 6 times away from the Dome. The three games to come are the Melbourne rematch (in Adelaide) next weekend, another chance to beat hapless West Sydney (in Adelaide) the week after, and then the return bout against the Razors in Sydney the week after that.

If Rees is fit for next Saturday night, the Sixers would be a strong chance of winning these three games and securing a spot in the NBL top four as the season passes the half-way point.

What's your call?

Team strong points? Weak points? Main challengers?

Topic #1252 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The heart and character of the team is very similar to the last title team.

There seems to be good flow and and genuine enjoyment of the game by the guys in court.

My concerns are these though:

Jacob's shot selection. I am not denying his hustle or any other part of his game but his shot selection is a little wayward at the moment.

His confidence in offence seems to be off.

I am told he is carrying a thumb injury and guess the shooting percentage relates to that.

The back up guard spot. I am still yet to be convinced that Darren is a good project as a back up guard. It is not his skills but his strength that will keep his minutes down. J Will gets it done and when confident can deliver...but this topic has been done to death.

Getting the job done on the road. In my opinion we get a lot of home calls that are very influential on the result. F

Positives are that we are still able to get the job done with Rees and Nash on the sideline. Coop showed that he can be a legitimate player in the league given the right circumstances

Reply #14228 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I aint seen Coops play a game like that before in any Uniform! He was a beast and if the big guy can try and reproduce some of those stats well be a force! 5 Blocks Damn!

Vote 1 Oscar

Reply #14309 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754