Statman
Years ago

NBA Fight Penalties

Just found this on NBA.com...

NBA Announces Suspensions From
Pistons-Pacers Game

NEW YORK, Nov. 21 -- The following suspensions were announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern, resulting from the events during the Indiana Pacers at Detroit Pistons game on Nov. 19.

Pacers forward Ron Artest has been suspended for the remainder of the season.

Indiana guard Stephen Jackson has been suspended for 30 games.

Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal has been suspended for 25 games.

Indiana guard Anthony Johnson has been suspended for five games.

Detroit forward/center Ben Wallace has been suspended for six games.

Pistons forwards Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman and guard Chauncey Billups have each been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

Indiana guard Reggie Miller has been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.
In announcing today's actions Commissioner David Stern issued the following statement:

"The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident  that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self-control that should fairly be expected from NBA players. We must affirm that the NBA will strive to exemplify the best that can be offered by professional sports, and not allow our sport to be debased by what seem to be declining expectations for behavior of fans and athletes alike.

"There are other issues that the NBA must urgently focus on at this time. First, we must redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds. Participants in and around the court must be assured complete protection from unacceptable fan behavior. Second, we must re-examine the adequacy of our current security procedures in Detroit and our other 28 arenas. The actions at Friday's game, though unprecedented, must now be factored into all efforts to guarantee the well-being of our fans. Third, we must develop and implement new NBA rules to assure that the unavoidable confrontations likely to occur in the heat of competition are not allowed to escalate to the level we witnessed on Friday even prior to the egregious behavior by individuals in the stands."

Topic #1253 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

May be an opportunity for the NBL to raise some profile about Stephen Jackson being a Sydney King at one time......any publicity is good publicity as they say.

Reply #14230 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

remainder of the season *sigh*

Reply #14233 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

That is only the start. On Sports Centre today there was talk of police charges being laid against players and spectators alike.

Reply #14238 | Report this post

Keith Hernandez  
Years ago

6 games for the Fro...Harsh!

Reply #14239 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Remainder of the season !!! The NBA did not take a backwards step and has set a good example to the rest of the NBA and the basketball community as a whole.
Today I read in the paper that the NBL is investigating an alleged head butt. Is it just me or has this season seen more incidents like this occurring around the league? Maybe it is time for the NBL to show a heavy hand&

Reply #14240 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This stuff has been going on for ages.....Steve Breheney this is Damien Keough......Don Shipway this is a front row fan.....

David Robinson ,"I know you dont feel as though you should be playing state league but we do not like it when you head butt people....have a holiday"

I am sure there is more than this just can not think at this time.

Reply #14243 | Report this post

Years ago

one of the ahmatt's girls husband trying to attack ray hunt as he went down the race after a game he got a hefty suspension.

scoretable has been abused after game/s and i beleive there were incidents of spectators behind visitors bench at dome throwing things.

bruce palmer kicking scoretable at apollo and causing equipment malfunction.

Reply #14245 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Any indication of Artest's trading value now????????????

Reply #14248 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I have a new idea for an EA game - NBA Fight Night Live 2006, do you think it will work.

Reply #14277 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think Wallace only getting minimal games is a joke. It makes the NBA look like the biggest joke of all time.

His egotistical attack on Artest for what wasnt even a heavy foul started the whole incident.

Artest would not have even been fined if that Pistons fan hadn;t thrown the bottle at him. I think 15 games would have been adequate for him.....remeainder of season is harsh indeed.

Jackson should have got rest of season, if not de-registered, he went into the stands with no provocation.

Reply #14294 | Report this post

The K Man  
Years ago

Wallace wouldn't have even got 6 games if it wasn't for the stupidity of Artest, Jackson & O'neal. 6 is plenty Yogee.

Reply #14296 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yogee - I think that the truth of the matter is that Artest wouldnt have even got fined if he didnt climb into the stands and take on a spectator. I agree that he was severely provoked but that doesnt give him licence to do whatever he feels like.
As for Wallace - I feel that for what he did his 6 games was plenty. He did not make Artest jump into the crowd - rather he pushed Artest in retaliation to a foul (albeit a rather hard push) Everyone agrees that it was uncalled for but lets just take it for face value and try to stop blaming Wallace for the whole incident
I agree whole heartedly about Jackson - there is no excuse for his actions.

*just for the record I am not a Pistons Fan - just calling it as I sees it*

Reply #14297 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Wallace started the whole fight. It was his direct action that started everything.

To be the catalyst for something as disturbing as that whole incident, and only get 6 games is ludicrous.

I dont condone what Artest did, maybe I didnt make that clear enough....but I think remainder of season was harsh.

After seeing what O'Neal did tonight (hadnt seen his sucker punch on the fan before) I think he got off damn lightly too.

It looked the fan was on the court, but on his own, possibly trying to get away from the brawl, and O Neal just comes up and clubs him.

Just think the NBA got it a bit wrong in the haste to be seen doing something.

I'm not an NBA fan of any type..well, as in I dont follow any 1 particular club, just like watching good ball...I couldnt name more than perhaps 10-15 NBA players,
so my views are purely on the image I saw from the game itself, and subsequent replays from different angles.

Reply #14303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wallace not only started the fire, but he fanned the flames when he threw his sweat bands (or a towel) at Artest when he was lying on the bench. Theoretically, everyone there was an adult and capable of making up their own mind and deciding on their own course of action, but it's a logical continuation of that for the fan to throw his beer. Hey, wasn't Detroit's most known player starting up a "throw stuff at Ron" event?

The suspensions are tough but realistic. Just unfortunate for the poor Pacers!

Reply #14315 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Stephen Jackson was a King? A Sydney King? Correct me if I'm wrong here, 'cause I hadn't heard this before (forgive me for not seeing a NBL game for 1000 years on TV as I don't have Foxtel).

Would love a picture to prove it if anyone's got one!

Reply #14451 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #14452 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More:

NBL: Ex-King hits jackpot

His NBA profile

He was averaging 15, 5 and 3 before the Malice in The Palace. Career high is 42 (vs Washington in March this year).

Reply #14453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754