ANON12
Years ago

Anstey: Boomers never have best side on the floor

(Mod: Removed the first part as it's already covered in another recent thread.)

Found a question and answer from Chris Anstey on the Aussie Hoops USA website which explains a lot about Goorjians archaic(?) training/selection criteria.

QUESTION
With your proximities to the game this question may be a little difficult to answer. A third of the Boomers training squad announced recently (July 12) being from Sydney? Does this not seem like 'jobs for the boys' as Goorjian is indeed both the Boomers and Kings head? The Worlds team from last year also had five of the twelve members from the Sydney Kings. Some of the selections are warranted but really Ian Crosswhite, and to a lesser extent Russel Hinder, and Luke Kendall, as good as these players are, are they world class? And for a little more evidence I believe Luke Martin, whilst a King was also a Boomer (where is he now). Also do you know any gossip, substantiated or otherwise about whether Sam Mackinnon will be suiting up in the NBA next year?

A: CHRIS ANSTEY
My personal opinion regarding the Boomers is that as the training camps are conducted right now, Australia will never have it's best team on the floor together as most of it's best players are around 30 years old. After long basketball seasons, the bodies of a 30+ year old players don't stand up to 5 hours on court a day plus another couple of meetings and recovery. I know that's the reason I can't commit to it, it killed my last NBL season. It's the reason Cattalini doesn't play, Brett Maher may be the same. Older players know how to get the best out of themselves, and sometimes it's not running themselves into the ground. Anyway, I hope the young guys who play do well obviously, and hope that we have a full squad to choose from next year, as opposed to this year without Bogut, Nielsen and CJ Bruton.

Topic #12594 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

Bugger, he didn't actaully answer the most interesting question - the gooj's shocking selection for the "Sydney Boomers". If I ever see Hinder, Crosswhite or Kendall on the Boomers team again I'll kill myself!!

Reply #146587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that he named Maher and Cattalini specifically, who although selected years ago when they were younger, were never giving fair court time by Goorj.

Reply #146588 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I am not a Hinder fan but he actually did ok against NZ. I know it was only NZ.

Reply #146590 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Confirms what many suspected - quality veterans are just not putting their hand up because Goorjian's boot camps don't suit them.

Reply #146591 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

What are people opinions - if Goorj left the team and was replaced by someone a less biased would guys like Cat and Maher play for the Boomers again?

Reply #146592 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Goorj doesn't realy suit us

Reply #146593 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The more experienced guys would at least make themsleves available as they would not have to go through the problems that Anstey discusses.

I still do not see why professional players would need to be drilled for hours on end.

Could you imagine Goorj trying that with Bradtke , Heal , Vlahov and Longley?

If you are in the team there is a fair chance that you know what you are doing at both ends of the floor as well as probably being in shape.

A few simple team rules, some shoot around a bit of scrimage for chemistry and bang you are done.

Reply #146595 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Also anon that was Barry Barnes that benched Cat and Brett in Sydney not Goorj.

Reply #146596 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

"The more you invest in something, the less you are willing to give up." - Brian Goorjiann.

Reply #146601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

let's start a "get rid of gorj" petition.

Reply #146606 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good job guys, just believe everything that Anstey says. After all, he is an expert and he knows everything....sigh.....

Reply #146607 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Whats wrong HO got out of the wrong side of the bed or something??

Anstey is only saying what everyone bar Basketball Australia say & think. What can you dispute in the answer to a question, he is just stating fact - except for the bits about Cat and Brett - which are pretty much on the money anyway.

See the bit that says "My Personal Opinion" finally a player has come out and said what they think of Goorj, I personally think it is a red letter day for Basketball in Australia - not everyone loves Goorj ;)

Reply #146611 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

HO it is not just Anstey, he is the first one to admit to why the players dont turn up to camp.

Reply #146612 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

interesting how anstey avoided the sydney boomers question, is there a link to the full article or is that it

Reply #146641 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

anstey was pretty spot on on all topics. suppose gorjy boy finally "sat down" who would be a decent replacement for him?

Reply #146647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea goorjan shouldnt coach here,
ive had a trainin session with him once and he's a nutter!

Reply #146672 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Is that you Bryant Matthews?

Reply #146689 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And, if so, did you give him the finger?

Reply #146694 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

wow

Reply #146696 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Also Maher got selected to World Champ's in 1998 and all Smacker Barnes did was play Shane the selfish .

Reply #146709 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

guys like hinder and crosswhite are no-where,repeat 'nowhere' near the level of international basketball..sure they have great performances in the NBL but the difference between the NBL and FIBA competetions is immense..especially at events such as the olympics playing against teams like the USA,Argentina and all the strong european nations.

Reply #147750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754