nutter
Years ago

Rodman down under?

Just heard on the news that Dennis Rodman may be heading to Australia to play a one off game for the South Dragons. Would be good if that game was played in Adelaide. Unfortunatly i highly doubt it!

Topic #12611 | Report this topic

L3fr3if  
Years ago

would have to rest one of their imports for a game then.

Reply #146765 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

it is the one game u hope rodman goes nuts and punches his coach.

Reply #146766 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A UK league pulled the same stunt and got world-wide news coverage for UKP20-25k. Interesting gamble.

Need 4,000 sales at $15 a hit to cover a $60k outlay. Even if they only got 2,000 extra, they'd cover part of their expense.

Reply #146767 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I would go see it if it were a Melbourne based Dragons game

Reply #146769 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

How do they get on with all of that under the cap, etc? Or would the NBL let it off as an exception to the rules given the once off nature?

Reply #146777 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Is this the same team that MJ is going to be coaching??????

Reply #146781 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22337861-23769,00.html

Rodman to make NBL cameo

By Grantley Bernard, August 31, 2007

SOUTH Dragons is set to pull-off an audacious publicity stunt by signing former NBA bad boy Dennis Rodman to a one-game contract.

The Dragons is believed to have offered Rodman - known for his tattoos, piercings, dyed hair and erratic behaviour as much as his basketball achievements - about $80,000 for the one-off game.

Reply #146782 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Booga....YEAH BABY!!!!! Should have 5 balls for that one.

Is this actually worth it? I'd probably go for the novelty value, but I'm a Dragons fan. I probably would have gone anyway.

But the guy is 46, most of the GENERAL public would think he's only a head case and not understand that he was also an outright star.

I just don't know if people in the general populace would actually care enough.

Interesting move. I would have looked at paying a bit more and seeing if they could borrow Lebron (although pretty sure the Cavs don't like the Dragons any more) or another LEGIT player.

Reply #146787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kev, no cap issues - this would only be for a pre-season game.

Reply #146796 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I think it's a great publicity move to get the old school bball fans out of the woodwork. Fans that have dropped off in Melbourne through the various clubs folding over time.

I wouldnt be surprised if they charged more with perhaps tiered level pricing.

A good way to get casual bball fans out to see the Dragons and perhaps get them along to more games.

Reply #146813 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

$80K for a pre season game? If the South Dragons can afford that, then they can afford to flout the salary cap. If they can be seen spending this much on a pre season game, then they will spend over the cap for the "real" games. Anyone paying extra money to see this player making no difference whatsover to this team is an idiot.

Reply #146831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WE NEED THE MARQUET PLAYER RULE IN THE NBL, look wat is done to the a-league players like dwight york, juninhio and many others awesome rule its time the nbl took it on board

Reply #146848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got money to splash around on this circus but still refuse to pay out money owed on existing contracts that were terminated prematurely.
Yep, high, upstanding moral fibre those Dragons!

Reply #146849 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Is that you Scott?

Reply #146928 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Not sure which of the three is sadder???

a) Dennis Rodman still pimping himself based on what he did 10+ years ago (at the age of ~46???)...

b) The fact that the Dragons actually are considering this...

c) There are potentially (otherwise why do it???) people who would consider this a "kicker" to get them to a game...

Sigh...

Reply #146948 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

to be honest as much fun as it would to see mr bad boy play i'd rather hang out in town and see if the myths are true.

Reply #146967 | Report this post

Rino  
Years ago

Hopefully the dragons game is played in Adelaide on October the 6th , cause I cant make it!

Reply #147006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, don't be ridiculous.

It's marketing. Forget about the salary cap and contrast $80k on Rodman against $80k of back of bus ads (waste of money), radio ads (probably not much better), etc. They could get him over and get on the news for free 3-4 times over the course of the event (lead-up, day of game, day after, etc). If they sell a few thousand extra tickets on the day and then pick up a few more season ticket sales over the course of the year, they could well pay off their expense.

Pretty much everyone is spending over the salary cap.

If Dusty Rychart retired, but made a cameo appearance for North in a pre-season game one day, and you went along to watch, would you be an idiot?

There are a tonne of people who followed the NBA during its peak in Australia but no longer go to NBL games who would go to this event - I think you'd even get a few people coming in from interstate for it.

One OzHo coaching in Melbourne said he got to training and all his kids were immediately asking if it were true that Rodman was going to play for the Dragons - these are all kids who don't go to NBL games.

Reply #147145 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754