Sungi
Years ago

Top 5 Junior Coaches of 06/07

Here are my thoughts. This is not a bagging thread. Try to stay civil during this topic

U10 Boys
Martin Hinton (Sturt)

U12 Boys
Bob Hunnerup (West)

U14 Boys
James Murphy (Eastern)

U16 Boys
Paul Rigoni (Sturt)

U18 Boys
Ben Gliddon (Sturt)

Care to fill in the girls side. Or offer your own thoughts on the top coaches.

Topic #12615 | Report this topic

Soonhellhaveascar  
Years ago

U10 Girls
Megan Gliddon (Sturt)

U12 Girls
Rob Wise (Forestville)

U14 Girls
Matt Gliddon (Sturt)

U16 Girls
Katherine McPhail (Sturt)

U18 Girls
Troy Schroeder (Norwood)

Reply #146864 | Report this post

Waffle Crush  
Years ago

So, basically whoever came top is COY? Not saying some (most?) of those guys aren't deserving, but it just looks like you've taken it straight from the ladder.

My nominations, not just based on wins & losses, but on improvement & overachieving as well:

U10 boys - Martin Hinton (Sturt)
U12 boys - Michelle Parker (Norwood)/Daryl Crump (South)
U14 boys - James Murphy (Eastern)/Michael Humphrys (Sturt)
U16 boys - Andrew Jantke (Centrals)
U18 boys - Adrian Hodges? (Southern Tigers)

Reasoning:
U10's - have killed everyone, probably won't be any arguments with this one.

U12's - Not sure any of the top 3 teams have a deserving coach for this award, and I think these two sides have improved throughout the season. Honourable mention to the Woodville coach for managing to get 2nd place at state champs.

U14's - Murphy has done a good job with the Eastern boys & had a decent Classic result, however, Sturt has won both Summer & State Champs, so I think Humphrys has to be in there as well.

U16's - Jantke has done a very good job with his group, to the point where they pushed a top 3 side (Norwood) to within 5 points at state champs. Was business-like in dealing with the "poaching" incident.

U18's - Southern have definitely over-achieved for the season. I think Hodges is coaching them now, though I could be mistaken. Seemed to gel after losing a "star" player to another club.

Girls to possibly come later, though I must confess to knowing less about that side of the competition.

Reply #146868 | Report this post

Waffle Crush  
Years ago

OK, quickly with the girls, off the top of my head.

U10's - Megan Gliddon (Sturt). Not too much to question there.

U12's - Rob Wise (Forestville). Has performed well all season. I think Jason Balfour has done well since taking over the Sturt girls, too.

U14's - Matt Gliddon (Sturt). Won finals when it's counted, plus a silver at Classics & runner up in a tough field at Easter.

U16's - Tania Dhu (North). Won the state champs GF & has often got the better of a fancied Sturt side.

U18's - Troy Schroeder (Norwood). Has had his side on top all year & seems to have them playing consistently well. Honourable mention to Steve Boyton, who got his team to top 4 at Classics.

Reply #146888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about under 20's boys and girls?

Reply #146889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"U16's - Tania Dhu (North). Won the state champs GF "

Actually, Tania did not coach that game. Wallis did.

Reply #146929 | Report this post

Waffle Crush  
Years ago

You're right, he did. However, I'm giving Tania credit for the job she's done this year, and her girls have defeated Sturt on other occasions too.

Of course, feel free to offer up your opinions. As I mentioned, I don't follow the girls side all that closely.

Reply #146930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about putting these wonderful coaches into the bottom clubs and see if they can improve them. Judging coaches on positions is easy but it tells you little about if they can coach or not and you need to look at the lists before you hand out laurels.
In the girls, the Norwood coach at 18's has a team of SASI kids as does the North 16 coach.
The Sturt and Forestille teams at 12's and 14's have a zillion kids to chose from so they're coaching the cream also.
So I'd look at the South coach in 14's as doing the best job and the Southern coach in the 16's.
The wests coach at 18's despite his agro has got good results.

Reply #146934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it is not boti

Reply #146938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only two SASI kids in the North u/16 girls team, unlike a country and metro packed Sturt and Forestville teams.

Reply #146939 | Report this post

under 16  
Years ago

carlos from u16 woodville div 5 side. made a group of kids that didn't know each other into a good team

Reply #146943 | Report this post

wiat and see  
Years ago

I think as far as the U14 boys are concerned - wait till Nationals next month and see how well the 2 teams go (Mavs and Sturt) and come back with the winner then!

Reply #146945 | Report this post

Credit to Tania where its Dhu...

Reply #146947 | Report this post

c.o.a.c.h.?  
Years ago

Didnt James Murphy get drunk at the Under 16 Nationals as an assistant coach of the SAC Boys team?

Reply #146949 | Report this post

wiat and see  
Years ago

Did he? you seem to be telling the story! My guess is he wasnt the first and wont be the last....and you were never guilty of an indiscretion...

Reply #146951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there would be a reason those coaches don't coach at bottom clubs - most probably that is similar to the reason those are bottom clubs in the first place .....

Reply #146969 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Soonhellhaveascar

I reckon your 1 from 5.

Reply #146971 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

James Murphy only has a good team, I dont think he is a COY. Blind Freddy could have had those boys qualify for nationals this year.

Reply #146975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#939, I think you mght be confusing the fact that there are 2 state players in north U16 girls but I think you will find there are about 5 SASI girls as well.
#969, I think ego plays more of a part in where coaches actually coach than anything else.
No matter what you believe about coaches one thing remains true, having choice and talented kids will yield better results than a lack of numbers and talent despite who is coaching them.
It is true to say that many of the smaller, lower achieving clubs have no one to blame but themselves because of where they chose or even still, choose to put their resources. Its along road back for those clubs to produce competitive teams even though its a desirable thing for all clubs to have a 'real compettion' thats competitive, most successful clubs can't understand why.
So you have 4 or 5 clubs full to the top with players and stronger talent and the other 4 or 5 clubs struggling with low numbers and and moderate talent mixed with the odd one or two gifted players.
Its very easy to then say the top clubs have the the best coaches because they have the results and this is true in cases but is not a barometer of coaching talent. With respect, its not a coaching achievement to beat the lower ranked teams by 50 points its more of a black mark upon our competition.
The North and Norwood U 18 teams are full to the rafters with SASI players, it would be an indictment on the program if they were not dominant and their success is not coach related but one could present a case their failure would be.
More importantly, the U14 comp in the girls has remained a forestville/sturt affair for years with no other team in the comp capable of providing competition which reflects poorly on the structure of basketball and with the changing of coaches in that area also illustrates that blind freddy and the drovers dog could coach loaded teams where everyone wants to play.
If we remain short sighted the comp will continue to narrow and eventually only 3 or 4 clubs will have any real competition when they play.
Stronger clubs who worked their butts off to achieve the success they now enjoy are reluctant to face the facts that their very success is strangling the comp and unless a zoning is employed it will get worse.
Every club needs to value a stronger comp.

Reply #146984 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Norwood U18g have 3 current SASI players out of 9 players. They have a team that plays as a team & majority are 1st years so well done Troy

Reply #146995 | Report this post

Rino  
Years ago

(#146984)

So the stronger clubs should hand over talented kids and coaches to the not so strong clubs so every one is on an even playing field?

The stronger clubs should feel ashamed of themselves for allowing their juniors to become so strong?

Is this what you are saying?

What would you expect a more talented junior team to do when it gets up to a 50 point plus margin over its opposition? Play with one hand behind their backs?

I have heard this "what does a thrashing do to the kids on the opposing team" crap from one particular family that have been at more clubs than dogs have fleas. When they start at a new club, this is the line often trotted out. The fact is it teaches the kids that if they don't come to "play" then they may as well stay home.

Welcome to the real world my friend! Not everything is fair, not everything is even.

These "stronger clubs" have not become this way through sheer luck; rather many years of hard work. The other clubs can look on in envy, or start doing something about it.

There is no substitute for hard work.

Reply #147005 | Report this post

Too dogs  
Years ago

you are right Rino. the stonger clubs are that way thru hard work.The other clubs need to work harder.However in saying that it ususlly goes in cycles too.

Reply #147008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually the North u/16 girls have 3 SASI players-one 1st year SASI, other 2 SASI/State

Reply #147009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #147012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems that if you don't have any good horses in your stable it is hard to win no matter how hard you try. Especially if eh don't get the flue. On the other hand a team of champions does not always beat a champion team. Finally Troy did quite well as asssitant coach at Nationals!!

Reply #147013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about justin schueller? look was he's done with his 18 boys, they ended 3rd on the ladder lacking height (as usual for north) they have a state 2man playin 4man, 2 of their players r worth 4-5 men, the rest r all capable of 1-3 spots. not to mention he has done all of this while also coaching the championship aba team

Reply #147024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whoever rates ben gliddon as a coach has no idea. his sturt team have 5 metro players, 6 sasi players, he has been given one of the best u18 teams assembled

Reply #147025 | Report this post

waddabout  
Years ago

The 2 coaches for Sydney Boys U16 team that took out melbourne classic this year for the first time ever would have to be near the top of this category... They were awesome

Reply #147030 | Report this post

all ears  
Years ago

it is easy to be a good coach when you have a team of outstanding players

the true COY are the ones that cultivated these squads / players for their current coaches!

Reply #147038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the same North 18 team Schuller coaches destroyed everyone in the State in u 14 s under Adam Todd, then finished a very credible 6th at the 14 Club Nationals, so to finish 3rd in the State is not much of an achievement.

Reply #147289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good program + good coaches = success.
Sturt have 36 teams in winter grand finals....that is more than a wave or a few good kids or coaches....that is depth and obviously a good program. I hate them with a passion but their wave just seems to get higher.

Reply #147303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the same North 18 team Schuller coaches destroyed everyone in the State in u 14 s under Adam Todd

They didn't win State Champs in U14s either!

Reply #147307 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

"Sturt have 36 teams in winter grand finals...."

That is an awesome achievement considering most divisions haven't started playing finals yet!

Or do you know something that we don't?

Reply #147308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woops.....was meant to say 36 teams in finals....i need some nose spray.

Reply #147311 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

anon #147038,

I love this argument. I mean, Sturt must have a magic player tree sitting out the back of Pasadena.

I am sure that the coaching has nothing to do with the 25 State players this year!

It must have been those U12 coaches that improved players understanding of team basketball and increase their level of play. No wait, it was the magic tree.

Without continual player development, it doesn't matter how good your players are talent wise, somebody else will be getting better.

Not all good U12 players will be good U16/18's. But looking at the number of players transferred into State players, IMHO this shows that the coaching philosophies at Sturt are geared towards player development.

Reply #147314 | Report this post

original  
Years ago

Really,

How many of those state players are original Sturt kids? Of those teams in the finals how many will actually take home the goods in the Gf at a Div 1 level.

12 Boys West
14 Boys Eastern
16 Boys Sturt
18 Boys Norwood

12 Girls Forestville
14 Girls Forestville
16 Girls North
18 Girls North

Do not see alot of blue there. Stop rubbing it in peoples faces and be a bit more humble and perhaps other clubs will respect you more rather than hoping you will lose.It is not just this thread but others in the past.

Reply #147315 | Report this post

unoriginal  
Years ago

Do you have a crystal ball? Some bold predictions there, considering Sturt won 4 and were runner-up in 2 of those age groups mentioned when it mattered most, State Champs. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

How do you know "Really" is a Sturt person? Even if he (or she) is, he is only expressing an opinion and far from "rubbing people's faces in it". You disagree and that's fine. I just don't see what you are on about.

Reply #147318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"18 Boys Norwood"

You're kidding, right?

Reply #147362 | Report this post

dfgdfg  
Years ago

U18 Boys Norwood

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Reply #147367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have beaten West every time they have played, so they might get past this week. They beat North by plenty, so they might even get past next week if Sturt win this Friday. But Norwood have no chance of even geting close to Sturt.

Reply #147385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beating west is not much of an achievement

Reply #147684 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754