Tigers Fan
Years ago

Big loss for the tigers in 2008

Massive news out of the tigers camp recently. A very long serving player of the club has decided to part ways with his beloved tigers due to disappointing circumstances. This is a really big loss for the club but will be a big bonus for the club who gains his services in 2008. His leadership over the years has been a strong point of the tigers team and i cant believe that he will not be wearing the black and gold next season. The person in question shall remain nameless as it is not my place to say.

Topic #12641 | Report this topic

Tigertales  
Years ago

Here we go again!

Reply #147185 | Report this post

Chimp  
Years ago

Sounds juicy, tell us more!

Reply #147191 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Having a fun time in China on their preseason trip too (saw this story belatedly last night): link.

Reply #147195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL

Reply #147196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tiger Woods? The species? Tamil Tigers?

The Melbourne Tigers ran up against the Chinese team last night and were quite easily disposed of by Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian. The game streamed on Chinese TV via SopCast and I caught most of the second half.

Yi killed them.

Funniest part was Anstey getting called for a foul, choking a follow up dunk and then pelting the ball down the court in frustration only to be whistled for a tech and removed from the game.

Reply #147197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my mail says that Clarke, Gerlach, Brown, Braithwaite and Hodges brothers are either retiring or are going elsewhere.

Reply #147198 | Report this post

Gee that narrows it down

Reply #147200 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I can confirm that Mapunda won't be at Woodville next year, and will be heading back to North Adelaide.

Reply #147201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well considering I heard both Lalic and Gerlach were close to leaving last year you would think its all bad news for the boys at tigerland!

Reply #147205 | Report this post

Sungi  
Years ago

Not bad for 2008 at North

PG - Zorich
SG - E. Burdon
SF - Mapunda
PF - Hambour
C - Rychart

Bench
Rowe, Quigley, L. Burdon, Kies

Reply #147220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Ryan Kerston coming back as well ??

Reply #147227 | Report this post

chchchange  
Years ago

Any other known changes at other clubs out there?

Reply #147228 | Report this post

someone must be  
Years ago

Only a few years ago two clubs combine to make Southern Tigers. The potential to be a one of the powerhouse clubs of the competition. Alas all is lost with the slide of all teams, numbers, competitiveness and passion.
Who is reponsible?
Who is accountable?
Who is in charge of getting new juniors to the club?
Some would say who cares?
There are a lot who do care both inside and outside the club. But you dare not speak up with suggestions of help because you are told to leave.
The loss of the ABA key player is not loss compare to the heart of the club that has been destroyed by egos.
It is not tough at tigers now.
Who is looking to the next 2 to 3 years?
You think is tought now......
Who's responsible???????
And for the record, our boy is like the key tiger listed above, wearing new colours next season and we wish he didnt have to.

Reply #147229 | Report this post

lickitysplit  
Years ago

My predictions:
Gerlach: Forestville, wants 2 win
Lalic: Forestville, wants 2 win and Gerlach is there.
Bowley: stay put but angry as always
Goodenough: stay he only just came over
Clarke and Hodges boys: retire, prolly could never play at a different club
Braithwaite, Boal and Brown: stay, prolly think cha ching more mins
Smith: stay just coz dont know him

Reply #147232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone other than Fildes leaving Forestville? If not who is going to miss out on the minutes if Lalic and Gerlach were to come over?

Reply #147235 | Report this post

predictions 08  
Years ago

Lalic will stay, Gerlach is gone, T Hodge and Clarke to retire, B Hodge to have iron groin and young guys inc Brown to stay and finally put up what they have been talking about and to get court time/opportunity which is something they have been asking/assuming/promised over time....

Reply #147237 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

And the Assistant Coach has gone too!!!
Wow, I hope Heath knows what he's doing...

Reply #147241 | Report this post

chchchange  
Years ago

You would sorta hope that if there is any truth in all this that the tigers are already aware and this isn't the first place to read it. Could make it hard if the changes are not signed and sealed for those players to have any respect if they stay on now, cause rumours like these usually have credit.

Reply #147243 | Report this post

chchchange  
Years ago

#147235 You suggesting between the lines that there could be some unhappy Eagles team members if they get shafted....

Reply #147244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are losing Fildes to college, and B. Cambell is going to live up in Cairns, so there are 2 spots on their bench to fill, with both these guys playng good minutes this year. Wornam has also gone to college leaving another spot.

Would think H. Harvey would take one of those spots, possibly Gerlach the other, along with any other big guy they might be going after from this league or another...Could fill it with a junior but they havn't really got anyone ready for abl for another 2-4 years!

Plus wornam and Fildes could be back mid year to play like the Norwood boys did this year.

Reply #147246 | Report this post

chchchange  
Years ago

They also have another player that was seen talking to the coaches who isn't on the current forestville roster, so looks they are covering all bases and options.

Reply #147249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

h harvey good enuff for abl? big call you saw how he cudnt compete last season, he wont be ready for abl for a few more years

Reply #147255 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I was wondering how long this issue would take to appear on here.

As i understand it, the movement of players could be small or large, depending on how every individual feels about their own playing situation.

Reply #147258 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Harvey's ready, he was doing fine this season, he'll do fine next season. and I'd say there's two guys ready to make the step up .. don't see any need to bring in Gerlach.

Reply #147260 | Report this post

hoops 75  
Years ago

big call. who are the 2 guys ready to step up?

Reply #147261 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

The ones who've been training with the ABA squad for the last 12 months, and playing decent minutes with reserves.

Reply #147276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure gerlach and lalic are more than just bench players

Reply #147282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

147282, So was B. Cambell, but he just wanted to win and sacrificed his own glory for the good of the team. Thinking Gerlach might do the same. lalic I doubt would be neither needed or wanted at the eagles for the 2008 season.

Reply #147285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melvin, you failed to actually mention the names of the guys who could step up from the eagles reswerves to ABL level. I saw their reserves team play their elimination final against the bearcats a few weeks back and didn't see anyone new worthy of an ABL shot.

With Fildes and Wornam OS, the only other kid would be Harri Harvey that is up to ABL standard. The others from what I have seen are either 3-4 years away or never going to make it!

Reply #147287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harvey is heavily overrated mate, he is good but there are so many that are better than him, whats he done this yr in u20s? sweet bugger all!

Reply #147288 | Report this post

Yeah, and...  
Years ago

Hey, here is an idea for the tigers.

You know that big bar you guys have down there, that always seems to be closed on Friday nights (when I have been there latley) Well why dont you open it up and actually serve some diriks in there.

In conjunction with the mountain of volanteers you always have cooking the BBQ outside, get 1 or 2 of them to man the bar.

$1.50 - $2.00 for a snag with sauce, then go in and buy 1 beer for $3.50 and you have the start of a good nights takings.

The BBQ is a great idea; however you should make more profit from the bar if you market it right. As it is in a dead spot in the stadium it does need to be pushed.

Come on guys! you have the facilities; you have the bar; you have a great group of volanteers; you have a kick ass canteen; the rest is up to you. Money = profits; profits = sustainability.

Reply #147304 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

If you're making your assessment solely on that EF, then I can understand your opinion - but that game wasn't a clear indication of where the players are at. I'm avoiding mentioning names, as when any name is mentioned on here, people just open up on them, whether it's warranted or not (as per Harvey, as seen in this thread)

Reply #147319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, and... dont worry that is on the way- need to sort things out re licencing but i agree the bar is an underutilised facility and it has been talked about. We are so lucky to have fantastic volunteers but you can also go to the well once too often so in that regard maybe the bar is a different issue. But hey we always like taking money from other clubs (in a nice way!) and i beleive we offer a good night of food and drink as everyone has SUCH A LONG WAY to travel!!

Reply #147327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just what I thought Melvin....no one.

Reply #147338 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

On Harvey, are there any other players from this years U20's team that is playing ABL? because when I have seen that team play there are 3 maybe even 4 players that seem to be better than he is. In one game that was going down th the wire, he was riding the pine till their red-haired pg was fouled off....? Surely one of these guys should be getting some of this hype? That is unless they are already playing aBL, could anyone shed some light on this??

Reply #147343 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

Hey VC the 'red head' is still deciding between the point and shooting guard spots. He can shoot the ball but is perhaps a little undersized for the 2 spot at ABL level. At point he still needs to refine his game a bit. He will be a player to watch though, especially for this seasons 20's finals and the next season. Harvey IS a true point, pass first, team first, if he was sitting there was a reason.

Reply #147368 | Report this post

hoops 75  
Years ago

If he truely is an ABA player surely there should be no reason for him sitting even if he is having a shocker he should still be in there best five.

assuming gerlach takes cambells spot With the loss of Wernham and fildes both reasonably big who are the other 3,4 and 5 men who have been doing well?

Reply #147382 | Report this post

Yeah, and...  
Years ago

(#147327)Agreed. You guys do a great job with the canteen & BBQ. I hope you sort out the issues with the bar because I know of 2 other clubs that rip huge profit margins from their bars.

Clubs do need money!

Reply #147412 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Ok well who is this 'red haired' kid and why doesnt he get any of the praise Harri gets (nothing against the kid, hes a great baller, but for his size, not exceptionally good IMO) when he seems more valued to that U20 team than H.H. is??

Reply #147485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isn't more valued than harvey. It's no secret that the Forestville u20 coach has always made some weird coaching decisions all the way though his career. The red haird kid may make ABL one day, but not this year or the next would be my opinion. He has potential, but really isn't a good enough ball carrier to be a point guard at ABL level, and just isn't a good enough shooter to be off guard. He does have a strong body though, so if he keeps at it he could get there in 3-4 years i think.

Harvey on the other hand is ready to play minutes (prob about 15mins a game) at ABL level right now. Lightning quick, descent passer, good shooter, just needs to work on his decision making and learning to use his teams strenghts a bit more.

Reply #147617 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

"all the way though his career" .. so you've been watching 10 years worth of games, have you ? and would you care to elaborate on "weird coaching decisions " ?

Reply #147658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the u20 fville coach sure has made some crappy coaching decissions, hes only made all 3 sa grand finals this year, yep totally he needs to get the sack

Reply #147661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blind freddy could get that team into 3 grand finals!!!

Forestville should be doing everything they can to get Gerlach. He would be the perfect fit for the Eagles as he is a very good defender and that was definately something the eagles were missing last season...some one to guard the leagues best 2 men. This was most noticed in the preliminary final when Burdon when off for 36 points!

Maybe Harvey is ready to make the next step, but there is no one else anywhere close! Would be a good move for Gerlach too. get back to a winning team, surrounded by people/players who can help him become a better player, rather than him having to try and make everyone else around him better.

Reply #147679 | Report this post

Shane  
Years ago

It is a team rule that if you do not rock up to training, your minutes are limited, no matter who you are.

Reply #147695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

harvey has 'taken a year off' of basketball to focus on his year 12 so to speak, which obviously isnt going to do his basketball a whole lot of good in the short term.

Reply #148851 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

That's actually a year off of ABA, not a year off from Bball - he's still playing 20's 1's, so it's not gonna have that much of an impact on his game.

Reply #148950 | Report this post

bigboybubba  
Years ago

Clarke at Centrals. thats what the thread was originally supposed to be about not some guy that wont have any impact at ABA level for years

Reply #150292 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754