BD
Years ago

36ERS v Bullets - 4pm Sept 9

Both teams are coming off solid wins with a number of people stepping up for either side. Expect Maher to suit up while Chappell will stay sidelined. Meanwhile for Brisbane Kiwi Dillon Boucher may also be watching the game from the bench while ex-Wildcats big man Justin Brown doesn't seem to have made the trip down.

Adelaide on Friday started with: Brad Davidson
Matt Sutton
Darren Ng
Adam Ballinger
Axel Dench

Maher is expected to suit up and most likely will replace Sutton in the starting group. With that in mind the 36ers may struggle in the 3 spot with either Maher or Ng having to match up against Sam 'MVP' Mackinnon or Ebi Ere.

Brisbane's starting group last night was:

CJ Bruton
Brad Williamson
Sam Mackinnon
Ebi Ere
Dusty Rychart

With Justin Brown not making the trip and Boucher in street clothes last night there's added pressure on Rychart and new recruit Tall Black Craig Bradshaw in the paint against a taller Adelaide front line of Dench, Ballinger and David Cooper.

I'd expect to see both teams play their usual entertaining styles of basketball as well as going deep to the bench with plenty of minutes for guys like Jordan Dodman and Erik Burdon (Adelaide) and Williamson and Reece Martin (Brisbane) getting a chance to show what they can do.

While I like the look of Adelaide I think Brisbane at this stage are that little bit better and I'm expecting a close win for the Bulllets.

At $5 for Adults and $2 for Kids lets hope a big crowd gets down to the Dome.

Topic #12685 | Report this topic

Chewy  
Years ago

how many people went on Friday considering the Power match was on and the united vs melbourne game was on at Hindmarsh?

Reply #147761 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

are the tickets hooked up to certain seats or can you sit where you like?

Reply #147765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

me, you sit wherever you want.

Chewy, Friday had a reasonable crowd considering what else was on. Enough for the people there to make a bit of noise when the 36ers scored.

The games have full stats bench, courtside announcer, etc. For $5 and free parking, it's easily worth going. Even if just to see the rookies like Dodman and Burdon get a chance out there.

Reply #147767 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Random question but, is Lindsay Tait injured? (From the Hawks)

Reply #147771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIW, centrebet just moved adelaides odds to win the season out to $17.00.

Reply #147773 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Grab $17 36ers are going ALL the way. (Brisbane today top team and 6ers may win . go close.

Reply #147776 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

1st quarter.
Sixers 33
Bullets 30

Reply #147783 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

half time
Sixers 56 (ballinger 14, davidson 16)
Bullets 66 (sam mac 13, gibson 10)

Reply #147785 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

3/4 time
Sixers 78
Bullets 87

Reply #147787 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

full time.
Sixers 100
Bullets 108

Reply #147788 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just a few silly passes in last few minutes (instead of shooting).

Reply #147789 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

What was the individual scores for the sixers?

How did Maher go?

Reply #147792 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

I was at the game and I do like the look of our new squad. Burdon played some minutes if anyones interested and looked really comfortable. Dodman, believe me this hurts to say, looked good. He monstered a couple offensive of boards, scored 7 and wasnt afraid to throw his body in. Ballinger had 22 and 8 (14 at the half), Sutts was solid with 8pts 6rbs 4ast and 3stl, Davidson 21 and 3, Dench 14pts 4rbs 4 ast.

Im so glad that basketball is back, go 6ers.

Reply #147794 | Report this post

bigred  
Years ago

go the bulletts!!

Reply #147795 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

For you 'bigred' -

McKinnon 26pts 6rb 2ast 1blk 2stl
Bradshaw 14pts 7rbs 1blk
Gibson 15pts 5rb 3ast 1blk 1stl
Bruton 12pts 5ast

Reply #147796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burdon deserves all of Copeland's minutes this season... and if Phil doesnt see that... well that wouldn't surprise me.

Reply #147798 | Report this post

bigred  
Years ago

thanks for bullets scores, where can I access box scores or am I asking too much

Reply #147800 | Report this post

Shane  
Years ago

Was impressed by the crowd for the games yesterday (there was about 100 - 150) .. now I know what the atmosphere is like at a Slingers match !

Reply #147803 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

not agreeing or disagreing anon but doesnt burdon play a different position ?

Reply #147804 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

How many was there tonight?

Reply #147805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher injured his groin again by the looks of things.

Reply #147808 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I don't reckon Mahersy injured it again, i think more of a precaution, if he hurt it again he would have had ice or treatment - didn't have either. It looked more like he just had a shower at half time - looked like it was planned.

I was impressed with Dodman, I saw him a few times for Sturt and I reckon he played heaps better today than I saw him all season. Darren Ng has bulked up a fair bit definitely not sumo beef up, still just a ninja :) I think things are definitely shaping up better than last year - just have to get Maher and Chappell fit and even better

Reply #147811 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I got to say i love Brad Davidson and what he brings to the sixers. Pre season game , he gets what looks like a corked thigh after a clash with Mick Hill.

Time out is called and Brad springs off the bench to challenge Hill at the scorers table.

Lots of finger pointing etc but all in all i like what i see from him.

Fair to say that if he was around during the Hill incident Abney would have been stretchered off the court.

Reply #147820 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A fit Maher and Chappel playing was all the difference needed today for the 36ers to get the win. we are also missing Mottram. Considering they played the league champions with not only a pretty full lineup (not sure how good Justin Brown is) but also a team that is in their 2nd year together with little change. The 36ers looked really good today except for the last few minutes. They were never really stifled by the Bullets and kept up with them pretty much the whole game. For what its worth they did outscore the Bullets in both the 3rd and 4th quarters. I came away from this weekend's games pretty happy with what I saw, I'm just disappointed that we still haven't seen the whole team together. By the way, the officiating was pretty crap at times.

Reply #147822 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I remember watching last years pre- season game against Perth and I thought we might have a shot at top 4. Then we end up second to last. Same sort of thing happens in AFL pre-season. Obviously we have a much better team then last year but just making the point that we can't get too carried away just from some pre-season games. Either way its going to be a great season :)

Reply #147828 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Justin Brown has a broken foot and will miss the start of the season. Dodman should go back to footy he is not going to make it in the NBL.

Reply #147851 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

One thing that can be comfortably said, Brisbane will be a powerhouse again this year. I am amazed at how well coached and drilled they are. They will also continue to worry teams out of it with their full court press too. When the press was on, we would have been lost had it not been for Davidson.

Honestly, not much intensity in the game after half time, it was more an opportunity to let the young blokes have a go. Dodman was impressive (exceeded my expectations by so much) but is still perhaps a little slow for this level. Burdon also looks a find (great penetrating drive a.k.a Patrick Mills there). When it comes down to it though, neither are getting a shot in the real games this year.

I like the looks of a core group of Davidson, Maher, Ballinger, Dench, Chappell, Cooper and (hopefully) Mottram. I love how Davidson gave up about 30 kgs on Ere when he was posting up on him down low, but he still worried Ere out of the ball. Brilliant stuff. We also ran with Cooper, Dench and Ballinger for a while - first time I have ever seen the Sixers play tall and it has some potential.

I still have reservations as to the depth of the rest. Copes looked like he was never in it, but played very sparingly (looks like Smyth has got that right). Ng can be brilliant, however sometimes also looks lost. And as much as I like him, Sutts will need to get his head screwed on a little tighter if he is going to be our (backup) pg of choice. He has pretty good court sense, but makes lots of rookie mistakes.

We should have a good year (and work our way back in the 8 at least). I think we will end up about 5-6 on the ladder. I think the main issue of the season will be how well the guard rotation works after Maher and Davidson leave the court.

Reply #147852 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Davidson would have to be one of the pick-ups of the season at this stage.

Reply #147859 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Does anyone know what's actually going on with Brett Maher injury wise? I really hope he doesn't have a shocking run of injuries and is forced into retirement like Mark Rucciuto.

Reply #147863 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I just read this "Brett Maher came off the bench early in the game and played the first half before resting during the second" on the 36ers website so thats a relief.

Reply #147868 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Also encouraging was the return of captain Brett Maher from a groin injury.

He only played in the first half but looked sharp before being rested after the break.

AdelaideNow Article

Reply #147870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, he would've showered at half-time and then sat out the second so no concerns I don't think.

Reply #147871 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I also think Phil wanted so see how the other guards would fare against the Bullets pressure defence.

Reply #147882 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

My 2 cents:

Darren Ng has clearly bulked up in size, but his core strength is still very very questionable - he looks like a rag doll out there sometimes, and can be moved quite easily. It is hard to see how he can make an impact at NBL level without being too much of a liability.
Brad Davidson looks great - consistently makes the right decision and looks to be in a great system for him. I expect somewhat of a breakout year from him.
Adam Ballinger and Axel Dench suit the Sixers system as big men perfectly. they will not go missing like a Horvath (due to not seeing the ball in the post) because they can get looks from the outside also. Great fit. Same applies to Motram, who will hopefully be happy chasing offensive boards and being a defensive presence, and does not need the ball in the post.
Very impressed by E Burdon. Defensively he looked sharp and offensively he looked comfortable. I never thought this kid would come this far when I played against him a couple of years ago, but I believe I've been proven wrong.
Dodman - will come of age. Maybe not this year, but eventually.

Overall, the chemistry of the team looks far better than last year already - the players seemed to have clicked. Top 4 not out of range

Reply #147888 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Those bagging Darren or at least questioning his ability to play at the NBL level due to his size clearly did not see how easy he got his 27 on Friday night.

Reply #147891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't believe Davidson challenged Hill over the corked thigh incident.

I saw Hill mouthing off a bit around the scorer's bench.

Reply #147942 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Hill told Phil to get on with the game, when Phil was questioning the 24 sec violation

Reply #147947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he wouldn't be saying "move on and get over it" if the 24 sec vialation went against his team.

Reply #147965 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It was a blatant 24 second violation though. Someone threw up a brick that hit glass only but the bench accidentally reset the 24.

Reply #147985 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

hahaha. kent, i like u...but davidson sending abney to a stretcher...ahaha...dont see it

Reply #147987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jules, don't underestimate the little fella.

Reply #147992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who, Kent? :P

Reply #148009 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Saw the same thing Kent and discussed it with some one at the club this morning. The team was impressed that Brad took Mick Hill on as he thought the knee he gave him was below the belt.

Reply #148012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Fitz......Davidson took on Hill over the mouthing off incident towards Phil and NOT about the knee he got, although sure that didn't go unnoticed.

But the words said were in direct relation to Hill's disrespect for an opposing coach.

Reply #148017 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

If you are talking about interesting foul calls, what about the unsportsmanlike foul called on Ng?

I know there is a new rule interpretation and all about contesting the ball, but last time I checked a defender was at least entitled to get in front of a player and draw a charge. Sure, Ng's attempt was a little crude, but you couldn't say there was any malice in it.

On the other hand, you can break a guys arm by coming over the back of them during a dunk attempt and not get an unsportsmanlike foul. The rules of this game make sense to me... *sarcasm*

Reply #148018 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

XY - I think you'll find the NBL admitted making a mistake in the Abney incident.

And I'd say Darren's foul was unsportsmanlike - Brisbane had 3 players away and Darren just body checked the player with the ball. There was no way that would have been anything but a dunk. Fair call I say.

Reply #148023 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Always been a mystery to me. Over technical refs.
(like that call on Ng plus strange travel calls)
Then big whacks get let go.

Reply #148024 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Lockstock, what difference would it have been if he had reached in and fouled? Is he no longer entitled to do that? If so, the new rule interpretation sucks. FWIW if you can get to the player then you are entitled to challenge them for the ball or the block. If by doing so you endanger the other person or foul the player in an unacceptable way (such as tackling with no intention to go for the ball or to get position in front of them) then it ought to be unsportsmanlike. To prevent a defender challenging the player because they could be 0.2 of a second late in making position is a bad rule interpretation.

Reply #148051 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ng does not have a single unsportsmanlike bone in his body. I laughed at the absurdity of that call.

Reply #148098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought it was pretty obvious that he just wanted to stop the play. Must not've sold the refs on his "legitimate attempt" at the ball enough.

Reply #148100 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Fair enough. My issue is more whether every 'deliberate' foul this year is going to be called unsportsmanlike. Should make the last two minutes of each game go quicker...

Reply #148168 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I always thought that once in the bonus, teams should get one shot and possession for each foul. Would stop defensive teams fouling to try to get back in the game. Seems like such an obvious solution to what I see as a blight on games that are otherwise great contests.

Reply #148171 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Doc, I have said this to numberous people on so many occasions. There is nothing worse than a team being down by 10 and just fouling for the last 2 minutes. It really just ruins what is generally a good contest.

Reply #148179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754