MILKY
Years ago

NBL License - What are the costs?

Anyone know how much an NBL team license costs? and any ideas on how much it costs on a yearly basis to run a team?

Topic #12686 | Report this topic

me  
Years ago

Licence is $1,000,000 paid over 3 years.

Depending on where you run the team you would lose around $250,000 a year.

Obviously it could be more or less depending on sponsorships and crowd sizes.

When Tigers won the title they made over $500,000 profit but a lot of their front office is ran by the owners building company so it takes up a lot of their costs.

Reply #147764 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

i was thinking of about possibility of having a fan-owned franchise...where you have shareholders who are passionate basketball fans who are active in making decisions about the club.

referendums about the team's name, about the coach, about certain players, etc.

would you also assume that you also need 800 grand for player salaries?

Reply #147768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you want to miss the play-offs, sure.

Reply #147769 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

forget the playoffs for now. basketball teams in sydney are an absolute joke. people in the city don't go to the games because they can no linger hack the way they are run, and nobody from the city wants to support a western-suburbs based team.

so i'm just thinking what the costs are. a mate suggested the idea to me of having a team completely owned and controlled by fans.

Reply #147770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fan run clubs will never ever work. For starters, no sane coach would join the club.

Reply #147775 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

not so much fan run as fan-input

you'd still have your ceo's and all that sort of thing. but things like playing venue i guess, and colours, and stuff like that.

i guess leaving player selections to fans is a little crazy. but other stuff, just so that the fans can feel part of it more that the kings allow you to

Reply #147777 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Green Bay Packers in the NFL is the only sporting franchise in the US's professional sporting leagues that is not "owned" as such.

This would be the closest model to what you are proposing.

When the Newcastle Falcons "first" fell out of the NBL they attempted to set up a fan based ownership model (Packers style) - needless to say it did not work.

It can only work where the substantial income base for a team is media based revenues - (Broadcast/Internet etc.) - not happening here my friend.

Reply #147848 | Report this post

Yeah, and...  
Years ago

What does an NBL license cost? In the case of the last few inclusions to the NBL I would say credibility!

Reply #147849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real problem is you have a semi professional sport masquerading as a fully professional sport. Clubs falling over every few years is testament to this.

Reply #147878 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

Milky -
"you'd still have your ceo's and all that sort of thing. but things like playing venue i guess, and colours, and stuff like that."

Lol, let's start a fan based club so we can choose colours.. that's the best you can come up with?

Reply #147990 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754