Kriss
Years ago

Best Rivalry In Basketball

Can't wait for the nextPistons-Pacers game!

The sport needs more rivalries like the Pistons/Bulls, Lakers/Celtics, 6ers/Tigers.

My all time Fav- Knicks and Bulls 90s style! The Oak/Starks Vs MJ/PIP

Topic #1269 | Report this topic

Big Pete  
Years ago

All those mentioned above are classics, Bulls vs Pistons were the greatest. Followed by Bulls vs Knicks.

Remember Pippens Dunk on Ewing and then kinda kneeing him and giving him one to go on with, how a riot didn't break out after that is beyond me.

Reply #14404 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

It's a shame there is such a high turnover rate of players in the nbl, rivalries are harder to promote but the wildcats/6ers and tigers/6ers are always great games.

West sydney final V 6ers was great as well when there was a bit of biffo with farley and dwight!

Now that shit gets the crowd pumping

Reply #14407 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Chuck Person V Larry Bird

Reply #14409 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Boty Nagi VS Brian Goorgian!

Reply #14410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Williams vs Michael Kingma for who is the worst NBL player in the history of the league.

Reply #14411 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The longest Australian would have to be the sixers v perth.

I would think the average spread between these 2 teams since the mid 80's would be the closest in the league.

Many OT games and a lot of deciders less than 5 points with only a few blow outs in between

Reply #14414 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

PERTH V 6ERS WERE ALWAYS GREAT.

ESPECIALLY LATE 80'S INTO EARLY 90'S.
MANY 1-2 PTS WITH HANSON FOR PERTH HURTING ADELAIDE EACH TIME.

Reply #14417 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

Used to be great rivalry between 36ers and Magic/Titans especially around that back-to-back championship years - before game 1 of the first Grand Final series I dont think we had beaten them for some time (was it 8 games or 8 years - cant remember Ill have to pull the DVD i know that said about it on the commentary - during one of the games)

Reply #14419 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Mark davis - James crawford

Adelaide vs Perth have always been great.
any team that an ex adelaide player now playing for them always revs up the crowd.
Mark bradke still gets boo'd now which is great.
I remember when darnell arrived in street clothes with the cairns taipans, the ovation he got was awesome.

Reply #14424 | Report this post

Kriss and Big Pete need to wind back the clock even further... How a thread of this nature can omit the rivalry of Lakers vs Celtics is beyond me... Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Honourable mention also goes to the rivalry between the Lakers and the Pistons... more then a few championships between those 3 teams through the 80's and early 90's.

As for the NBL, Mark Bradtke can single handedly be thanked for the Adelaide v Tigers rivalry. Honourable mention number 2... Adelaide fans vs Shane Heal ;)

Reply #14434 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Come On now Jay, I said Celtics/Lakers- I meant the glory years of the 80's

You think the Celtics-Lakers games mean much to the average fan now?

Rodman Vs Malone in Wrestmania XI Rodman with the Count 1-2-3!

Reply #14435 | Report this post

The K Man  
Years ago

Definitely Bulls v Lakers & Bulls v Pistons in my book.

Jordan v Gerald Wilkens in the playoffs against the Knicks!

My memory may be fading but i refer to Big Pete's post above re: Pippen dunking on Ewing & catching him with his Knee....My memory is that it was Jordan who did that. Can anyone confirm, I have it on video, but only have a dvd player these days?????

Reply #14461 | Report this post

The K Man  
Years ago

Jordan v Dominique Wilkens in slam dunk contests 85,86,87. Think Spud Webb won 86.
In my opinion Dominique remains unchallenged as the master of the Windmill dunk.....ahhh the good ol days!

Reply #14463 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

woodville v west

Reply #14466 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #14469 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

2 point bucket v 3 point bucket

Reply #14480 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I can confirm that K Man, Jordan is that high on the elevation he just about hits his elbow on the rim throwing it down and then stood over the top of Ewing while he was on the groung giving it to him

Reply #14485 | Report this post

Big Pete  
Years ago

The Pippen dunk I refer to was during Jordans time off, it was also featured in SLAM magazine as Dunk of the Month (Issue 3 I think, someone check), it was definitely Pippen elevating from the left side and slamming it on Ewing and riding him into the ground, was an awesome display of dis-respect.

I also too in my posts mentioned "as above" refering to the Celtics vs Lakers match-ups, they were classics, the 76ers should get a mention during that era too I can vaguely remember Dr J. But its the Bulls era I remember the most, and watching Don Lane on ABC host the NBA. Remember the NCAA they use to show on ABC, thats class, ABC should start showing the Final 4 again and the lead ups.

Reply #14509 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

The Knicks and the Heat had a pretty fierce rivalry going back in the 90's.

Reply #14511 | Report this post

the light  
Years ago

forestville vs sturt

Reply #14527 | Report this post

Rogue  
Years ago

Don't think that two clubs which work together could be listed as 'best rivals'.

They have their differences but they clearly do a fair share of information swapping too.

Reply #14528 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Pssst...Kent.....

In 73 times the 6ers and Perth have met during league history....according to the NBL, only one game has ever gone OT, and that was last year where Adelaide scored 13 in OT to Perth's ZERO.

Reply #14530 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson V Lisa Leslie.

Hair extension thrown into crowd. Awesome. There's something about tall, athletic, basketball-playing women getting nasty that....excuse me, I'm getting off the point...

Reply #14543 | Report this post

Rogue,

Sturt and Forestville are developing a massive rivalry.
But a healthy one.
Any yes its because they are moving in similar directions, and they recruit from similar areas.

Best Future Rivalry in local ball

STURT v FORESTVILLE

Reply #14634 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If we're turning local, what about Southern v South. Given that at least half the Senior Womens team at South is ex-Southern (NCT) there isn't a lot of respect between these two clubs. South also have a fair share of ex-Tigers juniors. Not that Tigers are complaining about the off-load of problems there!

Reply #14670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA vs Auditor General

Reply #14673 | Report this post

king kong  
Years ago

reggie miller v spike lee/masison square garden crowd

Reply #14688 | Report this post

old skool  
Years ago

local could've been:
Sidney Goodman v Paul Mesecke
Masooke didn't loose too many of the match ups!

Reply #14710 | Report this post

Big Dipper  
Years ago

Wilt Chamberlain VS Bill Russell/Bosten Celtics

greatest rivalry ever.

these two battled over the years.

Reply #14737 | Report this post

the light  
Years ago

rogue

forestville and sturt, no rival hey? maybe ask some of the players "which team do u like beating the most?". im sure the forestville players would have sturt in thier top 2, and vice versa.

Reply #14752 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

lakers vs celtics either 80's (magic bird) or 60's (russel chamberlain)

Reply #15082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lamond murrey vs lamond murrey

Reply #16439 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

UNC vs. Duke in college basketball in the USA.

Reply #66078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I concur- UNC/DUKE

Reply #66079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #117833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754