me 3
Years ago

preliminary final week

This is going to be a big week for some teams.At least no games are at Morphetvale or Port Adelaide this week .Those refs have done their damage

Topic #12695 | Report this topic

dfgsfgf  
Years ago

Nice sour grapes you have there.

Reply #147903 | Report this post

Camel 61  
Years ago

No kidding me 3, Morphetvale was bad, for finals BSA really needs to mix up all the refs from all the stadiums.

Reply #147907 | Report this post

Barry Bonds  
Years ago

Coached and saw a few games at Mars on Saturday, was impressed with the officiating. Alot of them young refs aswell

Reply #147912 | Report this post

Fully Agree  
Years ago

Not sour grapes - had the same experience - is there any formal complaint system about referees not being up to standard. They are getting paid so therefore should provide a standard of service, which they did not!

Reply #147946 | Report this post

me 3  
Years ago

Good we won and I thought we were hard done by

Reply #147948 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

I believe that come finals time all rosters should be done Centrally and umpires moved around from Stadium to Stadium. Teams have to travel why not the refs move to the next closest stadium.

I believe that looking at M/Vale which had both Under 12 Boys and Girls Friday Night and there was two junior refs umpiring together. Should not happen get a senior on the game to keep a cool head and not get caught up in the adrenalin as easily as the kids did.

The other court had a Junior with a Senior which was a smart move as the Senior carried the Junior who didn't seem up to the games the Junior Ref was on but it didn't advantage or disadvantage either side as the Senior covered for there partner well.

Reply #147955 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What do you call a Junior ref- the 3 at MV are all Level 1's. Is it better to have green shirts on the finals as we had to put up with at Pas on sat? There are many parents who want to blame everyone else when they lose- human nature i guess but give the refs a break.

Reply #147977 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

These does it dosen't matter what Level you are anyone can do whatever course they want and we need umpiring numbers so kids are being fast tracked quicker than what they are ready for, but with the shortage of refs in the age group 20-30 these kids under 20 are being rushed through.

The two young refs at M/Vale Friday Night on Court 3 were up to doing the games they did but in my opinion they should have been with a more senior ref (someone in that over 20 age group) to help them adjust up a cog for the intensity of finals and the added pressure of sudden death games.

Green shirts umpiring Saturday morning finals is a difficult one as some are up to it but others arn't. I don't see it as a problem if they had a lot older ref with them to control the game. Possibly in my opinion Green shirts shouldn't do finals but umpires don't grow on trees.

Reply #147980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Punter but at the moment there is that shortage due mainly to the crap the refs receive from coaches and parents. The ones left in the 20yo age group are now refusing games because of the abuse and so the younger ones are, as you rightly pointed out, being rushed through and give them their due they do their best. However constant sniping on this forum and in the stadiums makes a lot of promising youngsters walk away. And so what do we do? There isnt always the older ref to partner the younger one unfortunately due to numbers but I agree that in finals it should be that way if possible so the game runs smoothly while giving the younger ref experience. Remember the only way they will learn is by experience and I think you will find that no juniors who arent up to it will be given prelim or Grand finals.

Reply #147984 | Report this post

smart move  
Years ago

I would say the green shirt refs are being used as they are cheaper for BSA to use than older more experienced ref's who most likely are starting to demand too much money. This way BSA is able to still cash in on games for a whole weekend and save costs on umpiring. They probably are not too fussed on the standards or who is up to it, but some people do need their chances. There should be something of a response system where coaches can write down what they thought of the officiating, but their comment must be included with the result of that game too, to negate any negativity from a major loss.

Reply #147988 | Report this post

who me  
Years ago

So when an umpire hits 20 hes/she automatically know how to umpire better? Just because they are an older ref does not always mean they are better. Iv pleyed plenty of games were ive had younger umpires and they were fine quite often better than alot of the older ones.

Reply #147989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who me I think the argument was between "senior" and "junior' which sometimes is a perception anyway. No one can honestly say a ref at 20 is necessary better than an outstanding 15/16yo, it all depends on coaching, development, opportunity etc. Dont know that I agree that BSA is using green shirts as a money saver- a lot of more experienced refs havent been seen in the 1st few weeks but as prelims and grand finals come up they surely will be putting up their hands.
As for the coaches having a response to the refs, thats why the UIC is there at the stadium and I think some of the coaches Ive seen recently should have a long look at themselves and how they come across in their behaviour- some shouldnt be let near young children! Lots of sour grapes from parents who dont know the rules and remember if you get rid of the refs you dont have a game. Everyone gets more wired up this time of the year but behaviour needs to be looked at on all sides- players,coaches, parents, officials.
Anyway good luck to all teams left in the finals.

Reply #147996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Who me' I would agree. I have been around a long time and have seen some very good young refs lately. Recently had two green shirts umpire our game at Hillcrest and whilst being a tad nervous initially they both ended up doing a very good job. There is a young kid at Pasadena with curly black hair who is very very good. Reads the game well and is confident in his calling. Even the two young refs we had M'Vale where I always get nervous did a very good job.
Maybe they're too young yet to get tainted!

Reply #148001 | Report this post

me 3  
Years ago

I didn't say they were bad at Morphettvale others said that I said that they cant have an influence on the results.Only 5 teams from sothern got thru to this week .I saw the great effort of the U12 Girls for Southern. They had their coach Quit at the start of the season and when Ian took over he did not know any of those girls at all .Great effort that.One of the Great performances this year .I would like to have my daughter play under a dedicated coach like him WELL DONE IAN.

Reply #148340 | Report this post

me 3  
Years ago

too bad Ian could not get them up today Maybe Next season.

Reply #148631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754