svenbali
Years ago

Can we strengthen the junior comp?

I think few could argue that junior basketball suffers from not having a strong weekly competition and that there is a fall off in interest and in numbers in the girls area.
Is it possible to maintain the status quo in terms of where players now play but create a system whereby the competition is made more effective?
Travelling past blame and the weaker clubs being responsible for their predicament, is it in basketball's best interests to widen the gap even further?
A simple illustration would be Sturt andForestville's domination of the U14 girls for several years and the lack of competition these two team have thru out the home and away series which does nothing to improve basketball in our state evidenced by their Nationals performance which is solid but not spectacularly successful. How much
better would they be if they had weekly competitive games?
The same could be said across most grades which are dominated by a few teams from 3 or 4 clubs.
How much stronger would our State teams be if competition was of a higher standard through out the home and away series?
I believe that BSA should signal an intent to
zone in the future and give clubs a two year notice of that event, allow present players to stay at their club of choice but then work towards creating country/metro areas of recruitment for clubs.
If zoning isnt the way then there needs to be a reduction in clubs thru amalgamation or withdrawal because playing non competitive basketball with 50 point plus wins does no body any good , neither the winners who lack competition or the losers who get thrashed week in week out.
Simply saying weaker clubs need to pour money into juniors wont work, nor will believing weaker clubs will become stronger and its cyclic. Basketball has moved on and its not necessarily in the right direction and strong leadership is needed to make it stronger.
Having super clubs winnng everything is great in a local sense but is a large part of the reason SA has slipped on a National level.

Topic #12704 | Report this topic

mmm  
Years ago

Less clubs=less choice, less areas covered.

The weaker clubs are actually in areas that should provide them with massive recruiting power.

Regionalise parts of the competition, introduce domestic comps but don't decrease clubs, if anything increase them.

Reply #148004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The weaker clubs are in lower socio economic areas and cant afford subs, games, travel etc.

Reply #148006 | Report this post

Firefox  
Years ago

An increase Clubs is a good idea so long as it is accompanied by pro/rel.

Not a good idea to decrease an already lop sided competition.

Reply #148008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro/rel is the only solution.

Reply #148010 | Report this post

endofanera  
Years ago

"A simple illustration would be Sturt and Forestville's domination of the U14 girls for several years and the lack of competition these two team have thru out the home and away series". Forestville have had 2 strong groups in a row, North held a similar position in the 4 years prior. Sturt have been consistently there over a long time. It is a great recruiting carrot!!

Sturt have an unhealthy obsession with U/14 club Champs.

They recruit kids in for just that year or 2. As seen this season as in previous years they then fall away and the kids change clubs.

Many Sturt U/14.1 girls do not continue to play after u/16!

A great junior program needs to balance Basketball with Life and Education.

Travelling 3-4 hours each friday afternoon and again on Sunday, is hard to say compliments this balance.

Promoting and relegating will provide a more even competition if we still have 4 dominant clubs. Any centrally based club will derive great advantage in this environment, more distant clubs will only draw from the local area.

If I was living out of the city and needed to choose a club, it must be one of the better programs, that has consistently been, North , Norwood, Sturt and Forestville.

Reply #148013 | Report this post

Pulteney 64  
Years ago

If it's the only solution, why hasn't it been implemented yet?

Reply #148014 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

BSA (on another thread Div. 3 4 5 to stay or go)
are working on this. Travel for U16 is a problem.
District will be Div 1 and 2 and div 3 4 5 plus church social played in regions. In consultation with clubs stadiums.

Reply #148016 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

I would like to hear peoples responses to the issue raised earlier with clubs being located in lower economic areas of adelaide. I'm sure there is massive potential in these areas, but until there is a way for players subs etc. to be lowered, there will continually be this huge seperation in standard.

Reply #148025 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

A prediction (you heard it here first):

Zoning will reduce the number of kids playing basketball.

Why? At the moment, if a kid who wants to start playing district BB is turned away from one club, they can try another. If a zone is in place, there is no choice.

At the moment, a current player (or parent) that is sick of one club, can try another. Zoning = sick of your club, play soccer/football/netball.

The other thing about zoning is that the current strong clubs probably draw a reasonable proportion of their players from the local area. By the time you include exemptions for current players, siblings and a parent/child rule imposing a zone may have little effect.

Pro/Rel arguments always come up. The downside is, for every relegation one or two kids will quit basketball rather than play in the lower division. Any team at the top of a division is in favour of promotion, no-one is in favour of compulsory relegation when their team is the one concerned.

Voluntary relegation is already available eg Centrals U16 girls finished eighth in Div 1 in Summer, dropped to Div 2 and have been able to secure a grand final berth.

Three things need to happen to solve the woes of basketball:
1. Find a way of funding ABL teams that doesn't involve junior parents paying for it.
2. Following on from the first point, make the game cheaper to play. While people grumble about travel, cost is a deal breaker.
3. Build more courts - there aren't enough in Adelaide to satisfy demand.

Reply #148031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Restrict player movement. This notion of having to give alearance afetr a handful of weeks is ludicrous. It takes time to change and for a weaker club who is putting in the effort to have a standout player move to a stronger club as soon as he starts developing does not help even up the competition. I hear all the moans now, training better, travel etc but perhaps we need to make it more difficult to shift and, dare I say it be poached.

Have an independant grievance council to hear legitimate cases for why people need to move. Perhaps the rule only applies to certain levels; Div 1's and ist year Div 2's. Perhaps the clearance is given automatically after 12 months not a handful of weeks.

I would be interested in looking at a couple of the real strong clubs and have a look at their say U10s next year and see how many came from other clubs. Perhaps City/South is not the panacea we are led to believe it is.

Reply #148032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make a rule that players moving clubs can not play div.1 for their new club for a winter season. Would make sure the players are moving for the right reasons.

Reply #148038 | Report this post

Bench girl  
Years ago

If we restrict who kids can play for, surely they'll just drop out if they can't play for who they want to?

Whether that be someone moving to a stronger club or from one to a weaker club (to perhaps play div 1)? It does flow both ways.

DaddyO - you've made some excellent points.

Reply #148045 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Are there large numbers of players flocking to the stronger clubs from the weaker clubs? My guess would be that there are more clearances between the larger clubs than there are players moving from the smaller to the larger clubs, simply because of the number of players. However, the impact of losing a player is far greater in a club with one team in an age group than a club with five or more teams in an age group.

The overall numbers would suggest players are dropping out of the smaller clubs rather than moving to the larger clubs.

Does BSA publish details of player transfers?

Reply #148047 | Report this post

tangerine dreams  
Years ago

U10's getting clearances to other Clubs - now I have heard it all - what on earth would prompt a parent to move a child from one Club to another when they are still in U10's do they think that their child has this enormous potential that the club they are at is overlooking them.

I agree with the poster above though, if you move clubs you should be put into a lower division than what you are currently in and work your way up to the higher division, with consideration after a probationary period of say 3 months. It would be fairer on the kids already at the new Club and would prove how much they really want to be at the new Club. Some I think may reconsider and stay at their existing Club. I cannot see how kids moving clubs relentlessly helps anyone. Clearances should be harder to obtain than the present system. BSA should do something about it now - they will be processing clearances all over the shop as the season draws to an end.

I dont know if BSA publish transfers to the general basketball public but perhaps they should so we as it's "stakeholders" if that is the word they use are made fully aware of the reality of club hopping. Even if it was just numbers of kids moving into and out of clubs and age groups. They dont have to give names. Perhaps if they weren't allowed to shift mid season either, stay and work their problems out might teach the kids about problem solving rather than running away from the problem, which is what club hopping teaches.

Reply #148067 | Report this post

this is THE model.

all clubs can nominate a div 1 team if they wish (keeps political peace).

Over summer the two top div 2 teams from the GF are offered to play Div 1 as second teams.(keeps the results based peace)

After winter they have to play summer again and the next top div 2s.

this could apply over all grades if desired.

--------------

one problem is I see south may have no div 1 u14gs, no centrals or ? mavs - means the comp is going to be thin - surely the stronger clubs in u14s sturt / forestville should be allowed a second team in tehse circumstances.

--------------------------

the only way to strengthen is harder competition.
regardless of how many clubs.

Reply #148077 | Report this post

sorry - all member clubs can nominate div 1

Reply #148078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One problem I see here is that when teams in div. 1 realise they will not make the div.1 finals for Summer, they will drop players down to bolster their div.2 side. They will then qualify for the div. 2 final and get another team into div. 1 for the winter season.

Reply #148091 | Report this post

Hoops 48  
Years ago

The bigger problem is BURNOUT!!

If you make the summer a qualifying, pressure comes to bare on all clubs at the wrong time of the year, and compromises teaching of skills vs winning!!!

Not the right plan sorry.

Reply #148123 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sturt two (2) teams in div 1 and 2 would solve a short term problem.

Reply #148124 | Report this post

Hoops 48  
Years ago

How is that?

If you are suggesting that the sturt 2 team would enhance the top teams in a grade you are wrong.

eg Sturt 14 boys would in no way beat the Sturt 1 team the West u/14 or Nwd u14, so how will it improve the results at Nationals?

1 extra game per round?
Its no panacea!!!

Reply #148127 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Needs a bit of thought, ( maybe no centrals div 1 in the short term)

Reply #148130 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

Unless you are going to put juniors onto playing contracts, then they can move to which ever club they please.

Restricting this or having a "play a lower division for 1 season" rule will mean kids will look at other sports if they are not happy with their club.

The relegation rule IMO has its merits.

Why oh why cant a club that has a strong div1 & 2 team play 2 teams in div 1 if they have the talent and numbers?

At the stronger clubs a div 1 team for 1st years and one for 2nd years would be an interesting idea.

Reply #148132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pogo
Your comment, 'Restricting this or having a "play a lower division for 1 season" rule will mean kids will look at other sports if they are not happy with their club' may be true, but I think it is a rule some of the stronger clubs need to implement for their own well being. Recruiting players for state champs, Melbourne classics etc. is still going on and this rule would eliminate that.

Reply #148134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tangerine Dreams,

Believe me it happens - so much for strong clubs developing players.

Reply #148158 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

My personal opinion is that we should be seeing each stadium have its own competitions a couple of week nights after school. These to run all year round - except school holidays. Term 1 & 2 being a season and then Term 3 & 4 being a second season. These would be "social" competitions and could be school teams or a team of friends etc. From the competitions in their own stadium they then pick 20 of the best players per age group and we have a championship competition for each age group and a reserves competition for each age group.

Something like that

Reply #148160 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I think that 2 Sturt teams in Div 1 is a great idea. It guarantees that at least half the Sturt Div 1 players will not win!

Multiple teams for one club weakens the competition, it doesn't strengthen it. A game between two teams from the same club is a scrimmage, even if it's on a Friday night with refs in uniform. Without other strong clubs you don't have any competition, and a championship win is meaningless.

To take it to the absurd, what if the eight strongest teams in an age divsion all come from the same club? Would you bother running a championship at all?

Reply #148227 | Report this post

an  
Years ago

why should the sturt players have to split up just because the other clubs arnt as strong.. thats seems unfair, just because they have lots of good players doesnt mean that half of them should have a championship taken away.

Reply #148243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daddyo - you obviously haven't been watching the games between teams from the same club over the last few years. Most i have seen are real dogfights.

I think the question that is asked is about how to strengthen the competition - it has been answered on numerous occasions.

The other question is whether what is happening now is working and sustainable?

Personally i don't think it is.

Reply #148252 | Report this post

"One problem I see here is that when teams in div. 1 realise they will not make the div.1 finals for Summer, they will drop players down to bolster their div.2 side. They will then qualify for the div. 2 final and get another team into div. 1 for the winter season."

good point - then make it that the div 1 team must finish in top 5/6 if 8 team comp or top 6/7 if a 10 team div 1 comp before any div 2 teams from their club are placed as second div 1 teams.

if not it will be offered to the 3rd placed div 2 summer finisher.

if it doesnt work from there no more offers lower than 3rd in div 2 and it is capped

Reply #148279 | Report this post

they would have to "core" existing div 1 players so this dropping business would not happen...

Reply #148290 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

(#148134) Saying that "it is a rule some of the stronger clubs need to implement for their own well being" Is all well and good; however I can say that it does not seem to happen at the club my child is at (one of the bigger clubs) Most of the girls in the age groups in question have played together for some years.

Yes they have recruted some girls, who hasnt?; however tell me the difference between recruting for the future and recruting for the Nationals, State champs, ect? If a club is not activly recruting, then someone isnt doing their job.

Reply #148346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No problem with recruiting as long as it is just not for a short term gain. e.g Melb Classic, State Chanps etc.
Fact is some of the 'bigger' clubs do do this.

Reply #148349 | Report this post

Jerry McGuire  
Years ago

148349 , Yea recruiting 15 yr old kids is kewl. Im for it because it will cover for our clubs coaching deficiencies and lets us pickup the benefits of the hard work of other clubs and coaches. Our Div 2 players who have been loyal and earnestly working for years for a spot, well... stuffem.

Tell them how good they are, boost their ego so they want to move. They can then focus on their basketball instead of school, develop a massive ego that makes them uncoachable they then fail school and by the time they get to 20 yrs of age they suck at basketball. You reckon that's good?

Reply #148357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What most ignore is that God makes Div 1 players, not coaches but good coaches take Div 1 players to the next level.
Recruiting is a synonym for 'poaching' in most cases, which though denied by all, is standard operating procedure.
'Recruting' often relieves smaller clubs of their one good player but of course larger clubs suffer in turn losing to equalling large fish but these top clubs have enough quality players to offset the losses.
The lower ranked clubs have at best a starting five in most age levels of Div 1 quality but more likely 3 or 4. A player leaving such a club or being 'recruited' leaves an enormous gap.
In most age groups across the girls , a Sturt versus any of the lower ranked teams is not a contest(of course there are exceptions)and this applies as a generalization for all the top four clubs versus the rest.
Is it valuable for Sturt or Forestville etc to have 2/3 teams capable of playing Div 1 , not doing so?
Is it remiss of these clubs to keep them rather than to suggest they seek to play Div 1 elsewhere? Of course it isnt but it is a problem. Several teams capable of Div 1, play in the two's and the Div 1 comp suffers for it. Players slip thru the net annd quit because they don't get the opportunities and despite the rhetoric , playing Div 2/3 means just that and no amount of up talkin of the quality of trainings will convince me otherwise.
Though I at first supported the top clubs having additional teams in Div 1, I've changed my mind because clubs will disappear. Good I hear you say but look at the many examples of rationalization and ask yourself if they worked.
Unfortunately we have become obsessed with winning Div 5 trophies rather than work on creating the strongest , toughest and most vibrant Div 1 comp in the land.
We may continue to lose more girls teams yearly unless we take steps to provide competition weekly. BSA needs to lead the way and ensure that happens. Whatever that form is, pro/rel or zone or mergers or all of it, it needs to happen soon.

Reply #148395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suggest all those quality players playing Div 2 or below start seeking alternative Clubs to ply their trade in Div 1 as the rumour is the elite competition will become Div 1 for each Club.

All other competitions will be run out of the respective stadiums and it won't be at an elite level.

If you want to play at the highest level then you need to get into Div 1 which may mean moving to another Club.

Reply #148400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elite Div 1 and 2 and anything below regional- its on the cards.

Reply #148485 | Report this post

me 3  
Years ago

If you put the feeder teams into social ball you miss the chance to have them play for your club.What is to stop another club coming out to the social games to get players if they have an injury or player quit.If these players are playing Div 3 or lower you can bring them up into your club team without the risk of loosing them to another club.If you scrap the lower divs there goes basketball from this state and we will never have a chance of competing on a national level.This needs a big rethink just look at local Footy since both Adelaide and Port have entered teams.You could say pre Adelaide that our SANFL was strong but now its not,crowds are down meberships suffer ETC take a wake up call BSA and dont do this.

Reply #148553 | Report this post

me 3  
Years ago

If you put the feeder teams into social ball you miss the chance to have them play for your club.What is to stop another club coming out to the social games to get players if they have an injury or player quit.If these players are playing Div 3 or lower you can bring them up into your club team without the risk of loosing them to another club.If you scrap the lower divs there goes basketball from this state and we will never have a chance of competing on a national level.This needs a big rethink just look at local Footy since both Adelaide and Port have entered teams.You could say pre Adelaide that our SANFL was strong but now its not,crowds are down memberships suffer ETC take a wake up call BSA and dont do this.

Reply #148554 | Report this post

jumbotron  
Years ago

you have a stutter me 3

Reply #148564 | Report this post

JUST NOT CRICKET  
Years ago

I certainly would take my son to another club if he ends up playing div 3 or below ball, he has too much potential talent not be playing district He plays social ball now anyway.
The risk of losing potential players is put at risk with this proposed system. a lot of kids (boys mainly) are late developers which means they may not grow/develop until they are 2nd year U16's. By this time the kids might have given up playing ball and move onto something else. Other side of the coin - the stronger clubs will have Div 1 kids that are burnt out or just had enough by the time they are U16's second year.
Perhaps the potential here is that the stronger clubs will suffer if this system is proposed, because the late developers may get into Div 1 at another club and may not have fully developed and had been overlooked by current club who are hell-bent on promoting the same kids from Div 1 year in year out but do not take into consideration attitude and work ethic at trainings and games.

Reply #148588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the idea has a lot of merit if we follow the Vic system and play qualifiers for the elite comp and apply pro/rel - otherwise there is very little to be gained for all parties.

Reply #148593 | Report this post

me 3  
Years ago

not a stutter its a post sponsered by Burbon (hic)

Reply #148599 | Report this post

lefthanded  
Years ago

socio-economic = bullshit excuses
just visit Dandenong.

Zoning ? is wrong on so many levels I won't even start.

Here's an idea teach junior players U14 and below BASIC FUNDAMENTALS. Don't be Phil Jackson and have ten different half court sets, when you players can't catch or dribble left handed.

All players leaving u14 should have a core set of skills including.

R\L layup footwork
R\L hand finish
the ability to dribble with both hands make dribble moves and not have to look at the ball.
R\L hand passing
the ability to play in stance in O and D.
ie, defend on ball, deny and open stance of ball
or, offensively catch and play out of a strong stance and use pivots/footwork to create passing lanes.
1 and 2 dribble jump shots.

When ALL your team has these skills it is then time to implement more structured basketball.

thoughts?

Reply #148622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have missed the point entirely lefty!

Reply #148625 | Report this post

lefthanded  
Years ago

The number of u16's and u18's playing DISTRICT basketball with NO SKILLS WHATSOEVER! Could be the reason junior comps aren't strong.

Way too many div 2 quality players playing div 1 ball.

Anon,
I didn't realise there was a point, apologies if I missed it again.

Reply #148837 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Teaching juniors fundamentals is a fairly basic way to strengthen the comp. As is promotion and relegation .. fairly basic stuff... like coming in out of the rain... which a few people do not want to do.

Reply #148895 | Report this post

arnotsbiscuits  
Years ago

Are coaches more likely or less likely to teach fundamentals if they are facing relegation Camel 31?

These relegation clubs are the ones who are the problem!!! They are the ones who nees to spend the extra time on fundamentals...but they won't if faced with relegation in dec /Jan.They will be treating oct/november as a finals period IMO

Reply #148898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood has probably the most teams in the comp yet they significantly underachieve at Div 1 level because numbers alone dont give you quality.It also illustrates you cant make a silk purse out of sows ear. We often hear how better coaches succeed when in reality the top ranked 2 or 3 clubs have a depth of Div 1 players who would succeed irrespective of who coached them.
A form of snobbery exists that self promotes itself and sells the fantasy that certain coaches work miracles when in fact they work with much better players to begin with.
Move any of these wonder workers to any of the lower clubs and these gurus would not raise the standard of the group markedly.
In fact some of the better know coaches pick and choose groups to coach based on if the group is a premiership contender or not.
Stacking clubs with multiple Div 2 teams of quality is detrimental to the comp and works against the logic of competition. There needs to be a system where all the talent has the opportunity to play and compete at Div 1. That means movement to fill and strengthen existing understrength Div 1 teams. The result would be a better comp where most weeks hard fought games were played.
Get over which club is best or worst and set about fixing the glaring weakness of basketball in SA.
BSA needs to cut the number of clubs or zone or pro/rel or do all of the above or we will end up a 3 or 4 clubs comp.

Reply #148907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There needs to be a system where all the talent has the opportunity to play and compete at Div 1.

That means movement to fill and strengthen existing understrength Div 1 teams

Or promote "stacked" div 2 teams and relegate "understrength div 1 teams".

Reply #148914 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

"Norwood has probably the most teams in the comp yet they significantly underachieve at Div 1 level because numbers alone dont give you quality."

No-one ever said this at Norwood.
These to facets are mutually exclusive, take Eastern Mavericks as an example. 2 years ago they were treated as a joke. Next year they will have competant teams from u12- u16 at the least, and they only have 17 teams!!
Norwood have that many teams because that is the number of children in the area that wish to play.
It is also the only income stream for the Club.

Try improvement as a KPI and you may find part of the reason for so many kids playing at Norwood

Reply #148923 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The Aust.football league are able to strengthen bottom teams with a player draft system. We can't have a draft in junior basketball. That is why I am pro relegation. And..I think if a team is bottom and facing relegation and their basic skills were not good,then I would give more time,at training,on the basic stuff. And if I were div.3, in the new system, I would love to have a crack at the bottom div2 team, under a pro/rel. system.

Reply #148966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There needs to be, as close to level playing field as possibe before anything like a competition exists. Unless a BSA led directive instigates real changes to 'recruiting'. zoning or pro/rel larger clubs will pilfer players in pursuit of club glory at the expense of National success.
Sturt and forestville have a mortgage on the 14's and club championship thru targetted recruiting for that specific purpose although their girls dominance at this level hasnt neccessarily translated to 16, 18 and 21 success.
Perhaps its time to limit the number of div 2 teams to one, in girls age groups, in each club but what really matters is a wider spread of the talent to promote competition muust be achieved.
Kids lanquishing in multiple Div 2 teams within certain clubs never seem to progress and join the growing drop out rate in girls basketball.
There can be little doubt weighted clubs contribute to such loss.
If the clubs keep self interest as their creed BSA needs to convince clubs to merge, remove or delete the number of clubs, introduce pro/rel and or Zone.

Reply #149078 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754