ANON12
Years ago

GAZE TO COACH AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce that Andrew Gaze will lead a team of All-Stars on a tour of China.
Luckily for the Chinese, he'll be in a suit and tie.
The iconic Victorian is the new head coach of the ABA All-Stars, a representative team comprised of players from the second-tier Australian Basketball Association.
The ABA All-Star team will play six games on their 11 day tour against teams from the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), China's equivalent of our NBL, who are in final preparations for their domestic season.
"It'll be a good experience and hopefully we'll have some fun," Gaze said.
"I don't have high expectations given the limited preparation time we've got, but we want to be competitive against what is some pretty decent opposition.
"They are on the eve of their CBA season and they're looking for a decent workout, so it's important for us to provide a level of competition that will assist in their preparation."
Gaze did not count out a long term goal of coaching the Australia Post Boomers.
"I'm not interested in the short term but I've enjoyed my coaching experiences at the junior level.
"Right now I'm doing a lot of other things.
"These types of programs, where you can give ABA level players some exposure to international competition, are important as part of the bigger picture to develop basketball in Australia.
"There is a deficiency in the structure of basketball between junior basketball and the NBL and this tour will provide players a chance to reveal their potential."

The 2007 ABA All-Stars:
Lester STRONG Warrnambool Seahawks
Daniel GEORGE Hobart Chargers
Michael FALCONER Sandringham Sabres
Jason REARDON Geelong Supercats
Chris HOGAN Bendigo Braves
Sedale THREAT Melbourne Tigers
Ash CANNON Dandenong Rangers
Gerard LEONARD Brisbane Capitals
Kyle ARMOUR AIS
David GRUBER Frankston Blues

Andrew GAZE Head Coach
Matthew FERRIS Assistant Coach

COULD THIS BE A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME. IF IT IS I HOPE THAT A TEAM OF THIS TYPE COULD AT LEAST HAVE 1-2 SA PLAYERS INSTEAD OF BEING DOMINATED BY VICTORIANS. SURELY BASKETBALL AUSTRALIA SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED PLAYERS FROM ALL ABA STATES. BUT THEN AGAIN A GAZE IS COACHING AND THEY HAVE DIFFICULTY SEEING BEYOND THE VICTORIAN BORDER.

Topic #12705 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Please stop shouting...

Reply #148015 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

I am aware of what you are implying. It was deliberate to try and make a point. The "Eastern" states still view SA as a basketball backwater.

Reply #148019 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

LOUD NOISES

Reply #148020 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Oh, and is that THE Sedale Threat??

Reply #148021 | Report this post

Rodney  
Years ago

No NBL players are allowed to partake. I guess that is why there are no Cairns players because they had all NBL players.

Reply #148026 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Lockstock - yes. He is 73 years old next week.

Reply #148035 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Why is this called an Australian team someof these guys are american???

Reply #148039 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Just wondering who people think from this state could make the ABA allstar team.

thats people who arnt playing in the NBL.

Reply #148054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hi gaze

i love u

Reply #155699 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

gays love u to my little anonymousse x

Reply #155758 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754