Isaac
Years ago

Free throw shooting

What makes NBA players such superior free throw shooters?

There are currently 18 players in the NBA shooting at 90% or higher, all with a decent number of minimum attempts. In the NBL, we have none (who've shot more than a token minimum).

I can understand the higher assist counts in the US because they're a little more liberal with that statistic.

As for free throws, is it better fundamentals and emphasis on technique, more competition, better trainings, or simply that a higher volume of players are bound to produce those numbers?

What do you think? Is it something that can be translated to developing players in Australia?

Topic #1271 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

they practice more and are the best players in the world, you would expect them to be decent shooters from open 15foot

Reply #14455 | Report this post

biasbinding  
Years ago

ken cole / brian kerle

Reply #14472 | Report this post

The K Man  
Years ago

I think it is a result of volume.

Assuming it is a volume correlation resulting in a larger standard deviation, the flip side should show that the worst F/T shooters in the NBA should be worse than the NBL.
Isaac, have you got those stats.

Reply #14474 | Report this post

lightning man  
Years ago

deanna smiths 64 from 64 last abl is not too bad !

Reply #14500 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

It is a mental think i think. Just like putting in golf. One slight loss of concentration will see the shot miss.

Great free throw shooters seem to have the ability to block out all that is around them and just put the ball in the hoop.

Bill Walton once said on an NBA broadcast the free throws are a state of mind.

Reply #14501 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

i'd have to go with the higher volume of players and the fact that their season just started is inflating the number of players that are ave'ing more than 90%

Reply #14531 | Report this post

slit your guts  
Years ago

but then again, you don't have stupidly bad FT shooters like o'neal and duncan in the NBL

Reply #14768 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

watching Shaq take a free throw makes me feel sick!

Reply #14802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754