skip
Years ago

Maher Ranked #1 PG on NBL.com.au

Just noticed Matt McQuade has started his annual player rankings in their positions.

First up are the point gurads and this year he has ranked Maher at #1. Davidson & Sutton also get a mention at #8 & #17 respectively.

Full rankings at http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=5459

Topic #12713 | Report this topic

Flip  
Years ago

Not to rag on Maher as a player, Cos we all know that he is awesome!!! I just don't think he is the number 1 point guard in the league. Just because he is purely a number 2. If he was our number 1 point guard why would we go after and get 2 back ups.

I just don't think Maher is the number 1 point Guard in the league, I think he is the number 1 Shooting Guard in the League though.

Reply #148052 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought Davidson could probably edge out Gibson.

Flip, who else would take that spot though? Bruton maybe, but Mee and McDonald (like Maher) are at the tail of their careers?

Reply #148055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Flip, he is a shooter in this league and a really good one. There are better point guards, that are true point guards. CJ Bruton, can't believe i'm saying this but Heal. True point guards are leaders on the court as well, for the future Mills is the no.1

Reply #148057 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon, if as you say "true point guards are leaders on the court" is there a better leader on the court than Maher?

Agreed Isaac, there really isn't anyone else that could be put above Maher.

Reply #148064 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

If Maher is a shooting guard he has done a stellar job to average over 7 assists per game in the last 3 years .
He is flat out the best guard in the league over the last 10 years and yes that reign is coming to an end but if we can get 25 games x 2 years out of his ageing body we should be well happy .

Reply #148070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This has been announced as Maher's testimonial year FWIW.

Reply #148071 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

whoops , cheers Isaac .
Might get me out to a few more this year then .

Reply #148072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Testimonial year doesn't mean last year does it?

Reply #148073 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

no it doesnt but usually means it will be this year or next

Reply #148075 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Flip, whether he's a 'natural' 1 or 2 is irrelevent. What is relevent is that he lead the league in assists last year and was the main (sometimes sole) playmaker for us. In fact, if memory serves, he has been the point since Charles Thomas was here. He probably would have started at the point this season if it weren't for Newley leaving.

Davidson would've been brought in to help him out at the point, as Brett has slowly been breaking down, I'd say due to the work load he carried every time he has stepped on the court over the last several years.

Reply #148092 | Report this post

PG  
Years ago

I love maher, grown up watchin and modelling myself on his game, but it's sadly true, his reign is coming to an end... I think either d-mac or kavossy would have to be best 2 in the league right now though, kavossy would be so much better if he pumped up his apg to 6-7 rather than looking to shake guys off the dribble. Those stats on the link are interesting to look at though, didn't think maher would look so good on paper!

Reply #148113 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Once you start having testimonials it doesn't look good for your long term prospects in the sport!

I though Gibson was the only person truly not in the correct position and (as much as I am no fan) I think MM was a little too harsh on Kendall. Seriously flawed at international level, but versatile in the NBL.

People have been saying for years that Aussie basketball has been light in the PG area, and sadly the depth on that list really confirms it. 4 of the top 5 in the country are at the very twilight of their careers in Maher, Mee, Heal and D-Mac. And at 32, CJ is not far behind. There is a lack of guys in their mid twentys knocking on the door to take their positions.

Reply #148121 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I cannot believe you are talking about Heal as a POINT guard.
Phil is probably the best point guard we have produced and IMHO epitomises what being a point guard is all about.
Contrast his game at the point with Heal's. Heal is not fit to be compared on that basis. He has the pure shooters mentality - its all about HIM, not the team.

Reply #148133 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sector 7G - when Sydney won the 'ship with Shane at the helm, he led the league in assists. It pains me to say, but he was a scoring point guard that year - an awesome one at that.

Reply #148143 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm with you. Some of the current crop (Maher, Bruton, Heal) and a few of the past points (Grace, Gaze?) are quite useful and versatile point guards who could score.

Reply #148144 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

NBL and International level are 2 different things NBL wise the young /coming through / next generation are a little thin.

This list does not talk about guys that will be Boomers point guards like Mills / Markovic etc.

So whilst at NBL level there is a concern over the quality when space is vacated by the Maher's and Heal's of the world i dont see any need to worry about the future of the PG spot here.

Reply #148154 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I guess the worrying thing Kent, is that guys like Mills, Markovich etc, all our young PG's will probably head NBA (if possible) or Europe. I doubt we will see them back in the NBL for a while.

In terms of International team, we have quality as Kent listed above at the PG spot coming through, it's just that it is getting thinner in the NBL.

Reply #148166 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

And Heal still managed to dish 4.6 assists a game last year too. Heal is a shoot first pg and perhaps more naturally an sg, but he knows how to control a team. I enjoy disliking the guy, but he knows how to get it done.

Reply #148169 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

The best thing with Maher and his high assist count is that he doesn't and never has monopolized the ball as much as a Grace , Heal , D-Mac .
I am by no means bagging these great players just pointing out what a great passer Brett is for a guy who the offence runs thru not the other way round .
You notice over the years how many times guys , Rees and Coops included would knock down jumpers on a Maher penetration and kick out almost as if he was shooting himself .
That comes from good technique , great timing and juicy spin . An underrated part of a PG's assist tally.

Reply #148215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'juicy spin' rotator?

Reply #148218 | Report this post

flip  
Years ago

Ok Maher lead our team in assists. But look where we finished, When you talk about a leader on the court. Well sorry we lacked it last year. So sorry don't agree with that one Rotate on This.

His assist to turn over racio was good with 2.6 turn overs per game. But we lacked any floor leadership because we struggled getting the ball over the half way line. I mean we finished second to bottom with the best PG in the league. Nope sorry don't beleive it.

Reply #148234 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

CJ makes the game look so easy (just like dad)
davidson will be a future no.1/

Reply #148239 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Cornerstone of the team YES.

Great point guard no.

His best spot has always been SG but he has had to do more, and as he gets older you rob Peter to pay Paul.

The harder he works as the PG the less his output as a SG.

Reply #148516 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754