Max
Years ago

Patella Tendonitis

does any1 suffer from it? (i know i do) and what can u do to get rid of it. I know stretching is important(i do that alot) but is there any other exercises i can do or any special tips to help me and others as i know this is a real common problem.

Topic #12714 | Report this topic

anony  
Years ago

Hi Max - my son has been having probs with his left patella since January this year, he has been to GP, sportsmed, chiro, physio, podiatrist, they keep giving him stretching excercises which assist have had orthotics which also assist somewhat, but overuse tends to flare it up. The ligaments and tendons are not keeping up with his growing he is 12. He wears a knee protector as he tends to continuously knock this knee and ices it after a game. He has also had a lot of problems with his feet a condition called Sever's has had this for 18 months or so but it seems to be settling but we have had to restrict the amount of b/ball he plays. Unfortunate thing is it affects his fitness and running where he once was one of the fastest at training he now runs at the back of the pack, and the only thing I think that will completely solve this condition is time.

Reply #148093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont mean to scare you anony but if ur son loves his bball as much as i did growing up dont be surprised if it never goes away. Had it for 5 years now and at the stage where i learn to live with it.
I'm curious to see just how many people recovered 100% from patella tendonitis just based on doing exercises and stretches issued out by a physio?
I know several people whose knee problems healed instantly after orthotics but i never got that lucky.

When i was 14 i took a winter season off and regularly (once a fortnight) saw who was at the time the physio therapist for the 36ers. There was a gym their and a trainer had me 2-3 times a week on weights. It was mostly Quad and calf building exercises. Building muscle around the knee really helped and tendonitis didnt bother me at all for a while until it came back 2 years later. It was a place across the road from the sidegate of hindmarsh stadium. i forgot the name, i think its hindmarsh stadium. My best help to you is to reccommend that.

It is a real annoying injury...the worst part of it is regularly hearing from experts 'the best remedy is rest". grrr that still makes my blood boil

Reply #148110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stretch,stretch and stretch some more. I'm not just talking the muscles around the immediate area I'm talking the whole body! The way your whole body moves mechanically is the issue here, don't just focus on the legs. Try yoga, free up the spine and watch the pain magically disappear. Guarantee it works!

Reply #148136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rest rest rest.
Tendonitis only heals with rest.

Reply #148159 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Didn't Patella Tendonitis play for the Greek national team?

Reply #148170 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Yeah I think he was the one who scared Barlow in to throwing the ball away Doc!

Reply #148174 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

rest, water exercise and yoga.

Reply #148191 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

I had and was lucky enough that icing and rest solved the problem. Couple weeks of this and it has never reappeared.

Reply #148687 | Report this post

Rambo  
Years ago

Had this years ago. A patella strap or 15mm tape under the patella all the time and diflam gel helped heaps. As well as reduction in the amount of physical activity. I was participating in about 28 hours of sport per week. Cut that down to about 15 for a few months. Good after about 8 weeks.

Reply #148940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754