penguins
Years ago

Pioneers advertise coaching position

Pioneers have advertised for SEABL Mens' coaching postion.
See www.mountgambierpioneers.com.au

Interesting only just advertised but closes in 7 days? Is this really going to give interested and suitably qualified candidates the chance to seek out information plus consider their current position versus' a change in location?
Or is the role already stitched up but the club has to be seem to be open and transparent?

Topic #12720 | Report this topic

penguins  
Years ago

Also can't seem to see the role advertised anywhere else except their web at this time.
No listing as yet on Basketball Aust or SEABL or Basketball SA, makes it a little tough for people to know about the role if it isn't out there.

Reply #148135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Media release on website mentions that it will be posted on BA's website and the SEABL.

Reply #148142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rick Castle?

Reply #148148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wondered the same, but I think he's intent on trying for four wins next season with Otago?

Reply #148149 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

Is Castle even that good..seriously??? Has anyone on here been coached by him or observed him coaching???

Reply #148175 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I noticed ages a go that Ricks job in NZ was up for grabs. So maybe a chance?

Reply #148178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't have the background.

Reply #148192 | Report this post

Hoops81  
Years ago

Seriously there is only 1 person who can take the club to the next level locally, and if the committee don't take that option up then they aren't serious about the clubs future.

Reply #148201 | Report this post

Darryl Starick  
Years ago

Reason only a week for applications was the club decided, we need to get things moving quickly, such as putting a team together for next season, and a new coach obviously needs to be involved.
I can honestly say, nobody has been aproached at this stage and the club will choose the most suitable candidate on offer.
The Pioneers Basketball Club in 2008 and onwards will be foccussing on improving on-court success and developing players for the future.
No matter who is appointed, public opinion will vary.

I am more than happy to talk to anybody about this matter.

Darryl Starick - President

Reply #148206 | Report this post

Moose 62  
Years ago

Hoops81 - Who are you talking about ????

Reply #148207 | Report this post

Hoops81  
Years ago

IMO the only local that has that level of experience and qualifications is Sonya Knight.

To recruit a new coach from outside the region at this late stage would be next to impossible.

I'm not sure Knight would be available though, I know she has had Gems commitments in recent times.

Reply #148214 | Report this post

c.o.a.c.h.?  
Years ago

Hoops81.....hahahahahahahahahaha...hahahahahhahaha...hahahahahahahahahhahahahaha...

sorry just get off the floor.

You obviously dont know the situation with Sonya coaching down here. There is a reason why she doesnt coach anymore.

Reply #148250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You obviously don't know Sonya

Reply #148258 | Report this post

c.o.a.c.h.?  
Years ago

nope, know Sonya very well!

Reply #148288 | Report this post

it doesn't matter nba carlos will be moving up to the job after he wins the 'ship in div5 under 16's

Reply #148293 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Getting the team sorted for next year obviously needs to happen as quickly as possible, only one week to apply though?

Given that the potential pool of SEABL calibre coaches is pretty limited anyway, it's a pretty big call to decide you're willing to leave current team, uproot family, kids out of school, quit current employment etc in one week.

Reply #148362 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

If you want the job and the opportunity to coach in the second best league in Australia than its an easy decision.

Reply #148531 | Report this post

Informer  
Years ago

My guess is you will see one of two people apply. A former Coaching staff member and a former player/local. Both living in the town so no relocation required.

Reply #149089 | Report this post

Hoops81  
Years ago

If that's the case and the latter happens which is most likely given the make up of the board this year, then my guess is there will be some vacant spots on the roster up for grabs.

Reply #149234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So were those two assumptions the only two applications for the coaching position?

Reply #149284 | Report this post

Sweeper63  
Years ago

Possibly so, there were 2 other expressions of interest from experienced ABA and SEABL coaches but not serious is my money.
The former member of coaching staff is the most qualified and experienced applicant, but won't get the job.
The ex player has the numbers at board level and the support of a prominent local businessman and ex major sponsor.

What smarts is that the local city council is spending 20 grand to support this corrupt rabble.
You won't see me in the crowd next season if this garbage continues.

Reply #149379 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Sweeper63 it will be that much better without your so called supprt in the crowd next season. Good to see you go.

Reply #149411 | Report this post

Sweeper63  
Years ago

So Coach you think this is a good situation for the club to have put itself in?

You think a group of players playing just for the sake of it, no faith in the coach or board is going to be good for the spectators?

I want to see players with passion regardless of how many games they win.
I want to see a club that does the right thing by it's members and players just because it's the right thing to do.
The committee has a choice here plain and simple.
Do the right thing for the club and team or don't and end up back where you were in 2005.

Reply #149420 | Report this post

Moose 62  
Years ago

Hey Sweeper ....
How do you know the applicants???? You are obviously involved in the process.......
Otherwise ..... YOU ARE ASSUMING....

Reply #149435 | Report this post

Sweeper63  
Years ago

I'm not part of the process Moose.

I hope there actually is a fair and transparent process, but I doubt it.

God knows I wish more than anything to be wrong on this one.

Reply #149442 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

how do you know the players wont have faith in the coach?

Reply #149482 | Report this post

Hoops81  
Years ago

Well "coach" if the former member of the coaching panel gets the nod and I hope he does, the guys will play for him, no issue there he is respected.
As to whether he has the ability to step up to that level is anyones guess and is probably irrelevant to discussions here.
I doubt he has the numbers at board level though.

If he doesn't get up, I worry about who they will get to actually play and how long that group can remain cohesive into the season.
Definite starters IMO would be Sedlock, Wilson, Import1, Import2, Stratford.

Jeffree, Irvine and Mason would at best be maybe's, Kosch out, Berkefeld out, Jones out (all football).
To pull together a decent side the rumours of some 2003 starting 5 returning had better be true.

Reply #149933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #150026 | Report this post

whereto  
Years ago

Word around town is that the ex player / ex board / local business man was busy chatting a few weeks back while out painting the town. Zip coaching experience at this level which IMO will only see the issues of the past seasons revisited.

Success will only come from a highly qualified coach at SEABL level who brings a new perspective to the club. Any respect the playing unit has for the above person should they be a candidate will soon get lost as inexperience repeats last seasons disappointment.

I agree Sweeper, the board has the opportunity to make a difference here with their actions. They are a hard working group who give heaps but none of this will matter if they go with the wrong person.
The council dollars I think are performance/results based.

Reply #150044 | Report this post

Sweeper63  
Years ago

Council agreement according to the press release at the time was only for 2 years.
By my calculations that would mean it expired as of the end of '07 season.
By the way I think you'll find the candidate is not "ex board" as he was elected in 2006 for a 2 year term.
To be on the board and an applicant for a job in the club at the same time is a massive conflict of interest in itself.

Reply #150063 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The down right truth of it is that the club can not simply afford to bring in an experienced coach for the dollars they can offer. Best case scenario would be that if someone was to move into the area they would need to find themselves a job to be able to afford to move.
Thus they are really left with local people. There has been more than two applcants and some from overseas and interstate, but the money is the issue.
If the truth behind who the two local candidates is on the money then both applicants don't have senior level coaching experience so it's a risk either way.
The process is simple yet thorough, with people outside the board being brought in to be on the interview panel, so there is not going to be any biased. The process in my experience is extremely professional and there is no conflict of interest, the best candidate will get the job. It doesn't always come down to experience, it comes down to your interview. Take the Melbourne coaching job for example, Dean Bailey or Kevin Sheedy???

Reply #150076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Unfair.)

Reply #150099 | Report this post

DJ21  
Years ago

Reply #150281 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754