Dog 59
Years ago

Whirlpool Forum

Founder being sued.

THE founder of one of the nation's most popular online discussion forums is being sued by a software company after publishing allegedly "false and malicious" comments.

www.news.com.au

Topic #12725 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

Much like the glut of liablity suits of recent years have driven up the price of insurance to the point of being ridiculous (and put many small businesses on the scrap heap), this suit has the potential to make forum owners run and hide.

If this case succeeds, Isaac could be sued by Shane Heal for comments made on his forum, or Smyth, or the 36ers.

The public forum that the internet provides should be used by companies as a positive opportunity for feedback.

If 2Clix product sucks (and I don't know that it does), surely the companies best way to fight that is to fix it and then use the publicity to show that they are a progressive forward-thinking organisation that values public feedback.

This lawsuit is dangerous. And it's potential effect on forums around Australia (if not the world) is HUGE.

Reply #148198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's a joke. Whirlpool.net.au is a useful site. Head over and read the comments that the company in question is whining about - they sound like legitimate feedback from frustrated customers to me.

If there were only a couple, then it might just be a disgruntled ex-employee or similar, but with that many - where there's smoke, there's fire.

Reply #148199 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I have a feeling, you're right Isaac. I doubt it could just be a couple of haters, sounds like the product blows.

Reply #148200 | Report this post

Disgraceful!!  
Years ago

You would hope it is a joke Isaac, you arrogant knob! The amount of slagging in this Forum of people's character is a disgrace and I would love to see forums have tighter controls. I can not beleive people are allowed to come on here and abuse and put down other individuals with no accountability. And don't use the IP address as a comeback because anyone go to any general community location at a library or cafe and type what ever shit they want to. What could have been a great forum, is just a place for people to whinge and put people down. No wonder most people do not bothering replying to it anymore.

Reply #148223 | Report this post

^^^
Definition of irony.

"I can not beleive [sic] people are allowed to come on here and abuse and put down other individuals with no accountability"

Like you referring to Isaac as 'an arrogant knob', for example?

"What could have been a great forum, is just a place for people to whinge and put people down."

Um, isn't that pretty much all your post was doing?

I think you'll find that the people (and definitely not 'most people') who don't reply anymore are usually the ones who only come on here to stir people up; the kind that nobody misses.

Reply #148229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's funny about that is tracing back through your recent history gives a post that I would consider sniping.

Twice you've commented that traffic has dwindled and people no longer comment - that's funny - almost 1,000 posts this week which is above the usual average, and we're in between ABL and NBL seasons.

You raise the IP issue, but people are NOT posting from community access points. It's schools and home computers.

If you are upset about a post, use the mechanism provided to lodge a complaint.

Back to the topic at hand, if the company feels that people have done them harm, pursue those that made the comments.

If you read the comments they are upset about, like I said, all seem like pretty legitimate criticisms to me.

Before long, it will be illegal to write a bad review about something. Peter Costello recently said that the government would legislate to stop community groups and others from boycotting companies for a cause such as the environment, a minority, etc - that is absolutely incredible.

Reply #148231 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I go to a party (not that I get invited to Parties)and talk to someone about a software product that I have troubles with and, sure, I go on a bit of a rant.

A person who works for that company overhears my conversation and reports it to his boss.

Does that company have the right to sue me for potential loss of income for voicing my opinion?

Of course not.....the Internet forum is no different.

As I said. If your product sucks, fix the product. Use the publicity to promote the fact that you took positive steps and scream to the world how good you are at responding to customers issues. Don't persecute the person that pointed out that it sucked.

I actually think that the hoops.com.au and ozhoops.com.au crowd are pretty well behaved and those that aren't pretty much just get ignored and eventually fade away.

Reply #148303 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

BB is tightening his grip my fellow forum friends .
It is astonishing to see basic rights of consumer grievance being questioned by a company that should clearly divert their legal department spendings into product refinement .
I have noticed quite a number of incidences over the last few weeks throughout the world where the right to speak freely or question power in a civil and controlled tone is being met with heavyhanded bullying by the powers that be .

Reply #148318 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Ahhh the horror of big brother, if you think im referring to the tv show (which is a horror all its own)then spend a few days, read the books 1984 and Animal Farm by george orwell). and you will see we are well on the way..even if a little behind the predicted timeframes.

the people of this country have allowed themselves to be scared and bullied by their politicians.

Terrorism has already won the war, for we are seeing our rights being killed off on a daily basis and this is yet another example, so sad.

"If you havent done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear".

The above is the saddest comment trotted out by the ignorant, stupid and irrelevant...

well folks...as long as we all sit on our arses and do nothing, we will slowly see that everything we do will be considered wrong (eg forum abuse) and we will all have much to fear.

You gotta fight...for your right..to...

Oh and by the way...if you have enjoyed 1984 and animal farm...can i suggest a 2000's version...zip down to your local DVD place, rent a movie from the appallingly cheap weekly rental area called "Iddiocracy".......well i liked it :)

Reply #148505 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/lawsuit-over-forum-comments-withdrawn/2007/09/19/1189881557140.html

Lawsuit discontinued.

Reply #149056 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Well said me !

Reply #149057 | Report this post

RazorHarrison  
Years ago

I disagree. Whilst the concept of a forum that promotes freedom of speech is essential, that is NOT what whirlpool is. Instead Simon, and his dictator MODS modify information to suit their own cause. Have you ever actually read the number of "hidden", "off topic", "inappropriate" posts. Ironically, many of them provide the other piece to the puzzle that makes "community" forums essential.

Anyone whos seriously believes any of the rubbish on whirlpool is sadly mistaken. It's users are been lied to by the mods who are pushing their own agendas. You think Simon and his crew really hide all that stuff to "protect" people, or is it more probable that they are "protecting" their own personal financial interests?

Reply #266038 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Nice Razor, raise a thread from the grave!!!

:)

Reply #266046 | Report this post

RazorHarrison  
Years ago

Sort of ! :) What most people don't realise is that Simon Wright (Owner and founder of Whirlpool) is an iPhone Developer. Whilst I am big advocate for free speech, I absolutely am NOT an advocate for a forum that is so heavily moderated and regulated that its intent is only to sell/promote/trash specific products/companies. For example, get on Whirlpool and trash Apple products. Your posts will be hidden so quickly you wont even know for sure that you posted them! Now in truth, I think the iPhone and iPad range are very good products, but, if someone hates them, then let them speak. But here, at forums.Whirlpool.net the concept of free speech seems so yesterday. Most people these days know that the dribble on that site is just crap, but there are SO MANY examples of posts that contain exactly the same content been was hidden for one company/product and left for another. So many examples of companies getting trashed and left in one thread, and trashed and hidden in another. The reason is simple. Wonder why? Whirlpool receives "sponsorship" from certain companies. Those who are sponsors are ensured that they are promoted and any negative comment is censored, and those who do not are freely trashed. This isn't a forum, it’s just a marketing tool and anyone who doesn’t realize that is missing the whole point.

Reply #268767 | Report this post

Chris Roubis  
Years ago

Totally agree with you Harrison..
Whirlpool forums reviews are so fraudulent and comments are very bias... Simon Wright and his Moderators use the forums to push their products by bogus reviews & comments under alias names..

I don't think I can copy and paste all the comments on my blog to this forum...but if you want to read more about the "Whirlpool Forums boys club", go here:
http://www.chrisroubis.com/?p=293#comments

Reply #284697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"our chief weapons are surprise and fear"

Reply #284921 | Report this post

K10  
Years ago

Whirlpool admin use your signup information (name addres occupation email address etc) to track you down and intimidate you if they don't like what you have to say. When I made this complaint to the Forum owner the response was to "go shove it" and "bring it on" when I told him it was illegal and called cyber stalking. Gross missapropriation of data, gross breach of trust, terribly unethical behaviour (much like their ghost accounts and sanctioned only product opinions) Be very careful if you ever do decide to visit whirlpool. Take any info with a grain of salt and realise that the forum owner condones cyber-stalking.

Reply #306480 | Report this post

DodgyDodgy  
Years ago

What Razor, Chris and others have said about Whirlpool Forums is so true. At one stage I actually quite liked the forum but I've noticed that over the last several years it's impossible to get your posts on unless you are either :

a) Recommending one of their preferred partner products.
b) saying something positive about one of their preferred partner products and/or services.
c) Saying something positive about Simon Wright, and how much of an intellectual guru he is and how amazing and technically advanced whirlpool forums is. Do this, and you'll get a positive review, dont do this, and your in the dog box.

I hate the way that it works. I hate the way that they treat people. I hate the BS about how Simon Wright and Whirlpool forums keep such a tight reign on on forum. They call it a community forum, but it's not! It's a dictatorship under the false pretense of a community forum.

The more I read about Whirlpool Forums the more I hate them. Dont trust anything that they say.

Reply #307543 | Report this post

Ariel 65  
Years ago

This is so true even today - A MOD was compassionate about the Animal rights protesters invading QLD farms - sin binned me for 10 days reason "Hate speech" when I linked to sites quoting liberal politicians calling them green collar terrorists.

Reply #742121 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Two years ago

The things that come up when you set to "latest action"!

I've been offered a small settlement by my life insurer, AIA, in exchange for signing a gag order/ Non Didn’t sclerotic sure Agreement.

AIA and I just have disagreements over whether terminal heart failure and Cardiogenic shock (which has a mortality rate of 76-91% in equipped Intensive Care Units) qualifies as a terminal illness. We also disagree on alleged misrepresentation of the insurance contract. I think leaving out “this may include standby assistance” in questions to Drs is misrepresentation (this alleged misrepresentation temporarily cost me almost $20K, but the Ombudsman acted and AIA paid it a year later).

AIA don’t like it when I use review website/s to simply state my experiences ( hence the gag order). Maybe it’s because thousands of potential clients see this.

I think they need to fix their systems (XXXX is investigating their alleged systemic issues). They think it’s better to silence my experiences. Senior management staff there agree I’ve had a “shit start” and “terrible claims experience”. It’s probably just a matter of it being cheaper to fight me and silence me than actually follow Australian laws governing Financial Services Organisations, disability discrimination and their own insurance contract and pds.

That’s just my example of big business vs public fora and dissatisfied clients. I’m experimenting to see if it gets flagged. Isaac can easily trace this comment. (The CEO of AIA, Mr Damien Mu,knows who I am but refuses to take responsibility).

This has nothing to do with basketball btw. I think peeps here should support the NBL’s efforts to grow. It’s only a game and entertainment, not life or death.

Love your work with the forum Isaac. No one is perfect at running a league or forum. At least LK and you put the effort in to give us a league and a place to discuss it.

Reply #889423 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

^^^ yep, good luck.

Reply #889424 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

UTH I'm glad you fought the bastards and won. Best of luck with your health.

Reply #889467 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754