Isaac
Years ago

AAP to scale back NBL coverage

Spotted this on thedaily.com.au

And finally to the sport that seems to be creating the least amount of interest of all of them  basketball. The 2007-08 NBL season starts next weekend, not that you'd know.

In fact, Australia's major news wire service  Australian Associated Press  which feeds stories to nearly every daily paper in Australia, has announced it will scale back its NBL coverage this season.

Instead of covering every game every week, like it does with other sports, AAP will now be doing a wrap of the round and covering one or two games a weekend.

Might not impact Adelaide where Boti will write his thing regardless, but will it have a significant impact elsewhere?

Topic #12726 | Report this topic

camel 42  
Years ago

Suggest Sydney would be affected primarily - there's no dedicated writer like a Boti, or a Tim Keeble in Wollongong, or Grantley Bernard and Stephen Howell in Melbourne for example.

Sad state of affairs, but that's where the sport is at with the mainstream media these days. What we need is a Frank Lowy to come in and splash some money around - wishful thinking I know.

Reply #148212 | Report this post

Dog 59 is my hero  
Years ago

RIP - NBL

Reply #148213 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

shame shame shame

Reply #148217 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Where is Tim Morrisey these days? I thought he was pushing NBL in the press in Sydney?

Reply #148220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought the same, but can't find an NBL piece in the sports section on the SMH site.

Here are their sports categories:

AFL | League | Union | Golf | Football | Tennis | Cricket | A-League | Motorsport | Horseracing

No sign of basketball...

Reply #148221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morrisey writes for Sydney's Daily Telegraph i think. Most sports readers by the Telgraph cause it does seem to cover more sports. Just had a look and they don't have basketball listed either... That will change though when the season starts proper. I think people don't realise the season hasn't started yet, all the news agencies will hop on board when it does start, it will be weird if they don't.
This is sad, is it that Basketball isn't marketable any more? What is Fox doing this year? We live in an Internet age thankfully and i can always get my fix this way. Like others have said though, without continuing interest in the game, crowds, marketing, media interest etc, RIP basketball in Australia.

Reply #148242 | Report this post

Sergay  
Years ago

I have seen a place where it rains in colours; where fingernails are food; where 1 second can take a life time; where grown men reach into the sky and pull themselves into the clouds!

What is this place?

SEPTOBIA!

Reply #148430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spotted this on OzHoops:

This got a mention in the Herald Sun's The Pulse today (don't think it's online).

It said that AAP announced a few months ago that it would scale back its NBL coverage due to budgetary reasons, and will not be covering regional games in areas such as Cairns, Townsville and New Zealand. The NBL tried to change their mind, but have failed. There's a quote from Marc Howard saying that AAP are doing a disservice to all of their subscribers. It finished by saying that Fox Sports will be covering 2-3 games a week, and that the Nine Network is expected to decided "this week" whether to show a highlights show on Sunday mornings.

Reply #148447 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Marc Howard of the NBL:

AAP have reversed their decision to reduce their NBL coverage and the league will be back on Channel 9 and WIN this season on Sunday mornings.

Reply #148490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754