Nick
Years ago

The NBL - heading up or down?

A while ago I was reading that the NBL was on its way back to the top. People were saying that the league is improving a lot with the additions of the Gold Coast team, a team in Asia, a new team and new rivalry in Melbourne, and a free to air TV deal. Now I'm reading that the NBL is short of cash and is getting bugger all media attention and publicity. Is the NBL getting less pre-season media publicity that it was last pre-season? Have things got worse on that front? I also read in "The Basketballer" magazine that the NBL was receiving heaps of corporate sponsor interest and loads of companies were interested in getting on board but the NBL is once again struggling to get a major naming rights sponsor. No matter what, you must admit the NBL has made significant improvements with the additions I mentioned above  the Singapore Slingers, free-to-air TV deal, and the new Melbourne rivalry. We've added these things to our league but we still seriously lack cooperate support, publicity and popularity. How do we get people interested in the NBL and along to the games without the $ for a serious advertising?

Oh yeah and does anyone have the crowd figures for the past few seasons?

Topic #12738 | Report this topic

Blue Max  
Years ago

Aaaah, did you say "improving a lot with the addition of the Slingers? If you call no home ground support and nearly not having the funds to put a team on the floor for this up coming season, only their 2nd season in the comp a "great leap forward" then you are looking through rose coloured glasses.

As far as the Gold Coast is concerned, the NBL has "been there, done that 10 years ago. Any one remember the Gold Coast Rollers? It didnt work then, why would it work again?

IMO the NBL will keep on admitting new teams, no matter how much their buisness plan stinks simply because they need the ca$h.

The admission of a couple of new teams in the last few years is no big deal. Teams have been coming and going from the NBL scince its inseption. It probably says more about the mismanagement of those teams and the NBL itself, rather than how good they are going.

The NBL has been in big trouble for approx 5 years now and I just cant think of how they are going to pull themselves back up to the stage they were at in the early to mid 90's.

If they keep on allowing new teams to join that dont have a prayer of being competitive in the next 5 years then further interest is going to decline.

Thank god for the likes of Groves and Hemerling. Without these guys cash I have a feeling that our top line Bball fix would be the local stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Have you ever wondered why season tickets to this up coming 6ers season are the cheapest they have ever been? Having been a season ticket holder since the Dome was built I can say that my family has paid almost double for 4 tickets in past years.

The NBL was at it's "peak" back in the early 90's. The problem is once you have reached the top, it is a long way down.

Reply #148420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Have you ever wondered why season tickets to this up coming 6ers season are the cheapest they have ever been?' - What are you trying to say?

What about free to air tv coverage, surley that a step forwards, Blue Max.

Reply #148513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the league heading??

Either expand to become an Oceana/Asian league with 6 teams from Australia/New Zealand and 6 teams from Asia

or

Forget Asia all together and have 11 teams from Australia and 1 from New Zealand

Either way must have a plan

Either way must get free to air TV

Either way must get GM with a clue.

Reply #148539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon,

why cant we have:

11 teams from Aus, 1 from NZ and 1 or 2 from Asia?

Reply #148604 | Report this post

Blue Max  
Years ago

(#148513)
That would be becaus they are very worried that interest is falling away, so they have dropped the pricing as a carrot to have you renew.

Worked for me!

Reply #148644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:11 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754