Bizzy
Years ago

Phil Jackson Inducted into HOF

Last week Phil Jackson was inducted into the Naismith Hall Of Fame, along with Van Chancellor, Mendy Rudolph, Dikembe Mutombo - recieved the Basketball Human Spirit Award.

Phil Jackson IMO was an amazing coach, he seemed to coach in a way that was so different from every other coach. I think he said it best:

"I never consider myself to be an X and Os guy as far as a basketball guy," said Jackson. "Tex Winter, my assistant coach and colleague for the last 20 years, really loved the details and execution of basketball and would sit with me and we would do film sessions and we would do planning together. But the reality is basketball is based on chemistry, guys who want to play together, want to share the work together, want to sacrifice for each other and learn how to do that. I recognized that at early age and that was really a part of what I was participating in when I was a New York Knickerbocker player and that's what I took away from that experience."

You read the full article here

You can also watch his Hall of Fame speech on NBA.com.

Where do people think Phil Jackson ranks on the All-time coaches list? I would have him top 2 or 3, I don't think you can go past the late Red Auerbach. Phil was lucky with the teams he was given, however IMO he turned teams of stars into teams of winners.

Where do others rate him?

Topic #12748 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

Equal first with Red.
Both coached teams with unbelievable talent, but in totally different styles...

Some of the books written on/or by Phil are amazing reading, one switched on guy.

Probably Riley third, Larry Brown and Bill Fitch have the numbers, but also left some of their last teams in a pretty bad way.

From left field, even though his teams don't win championships, you go to love Don Nelson's ingenuity..

Reply #148451 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Nellie is a very good coach, nothing like a bit of run 'n' gun for offence. Kind of similar to the Sixers offence IMO.

As much as it pains me to say it but Riley would be third, and I would put Red and Phil equal, it's hard to compare the two when the league was in such different shape when Red won 9. Like comparing Wilt to MJ (ELG no need to respond, it's just a comparison).

I have read Jacksons The Last Season & More than a Game books, amazing reads.

Anyone recommend any others?

Reply #148455 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sacred Hoops.

There is another good one, just cannot think of it..

Reply #148461 | Report this post

Rileys had more talent than Jackson, its unfortunate that he coached his lakers in a much more competitive era than Jackson coached his clubs.

p.s wilt number 1!

Reply #148495 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ELG more talent in coaching, or more talented teams that he coached?

Reply #148503 | Report this post

Teams he coached. When you look at it, there was MJ and pippen, and roleplayers. In the lakers team you had magic, worthy, kareem, cooper, and the second best white player in the 80s, Rambis

Reply #148509 | Report this post

And that is NOT a shot at Jordan, guys.

Reply #148510 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pretty sure there'd be a Rambis basketball card out there that says "second best white player in the 80s" - might be in that "White Players, by Decade" series? :P

Reply #148514 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Definately helped Jackson with a watered down league after expansion, however Phil may have been the man to get the Lakers over the Celtics...

Plus I think it helps to be more of a "people person" than the dictating coach that Riley has been known as (see Goorj and boot camps) Riley had his team turn against him whereas Red and Phil never have (excluding the spoilt brat Kobe)...

lol at the insert "white guy" series.......

Reply #148517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754