joe mayo
Years ago

umpires camp

i was recently talking to someone quite familiar with the vbl. he brought up a point which i thought was a great idea. he told me that the umpires undergo a so called training camp before the season begins, so as to drill all the umpires on rules and how to let a game be played. this then brings about a more consistent standard of umpiring so that teams then know how physical games can be and how they can prepare for each game. do we have anything like this in the central league? if not it is possible, i think it would greatly improve the standard of games. i have seen so many times games where players can be physical and not many fouls are called then the following week, same physicality but lots of fouls called. i think if all referees are on the same wave length then it will benefit the players and also the referees. if players know what their up for each week as far as the reffing goes then it can only improve the games. what does everyone think?

Topic #1276 | Report this topic

bob down  
Years ago

which umpires are camp ?

Reply #14548 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

I think more training camps should be implemented for umpires from under 10's right up to the top level,
so I agree totaly Joe.

Reply #14583 | Report this post

baggy  
Years ago

Going back in time, and I'm talking early to mid 70's, when Greg Love and Mal Hemmerling were heavily involved, I used to attend Umpires Camps at Mylor in the hills. They went for an entire weekend. I lived in the country so it was a major event. My memory is lots of umpires from all over SA attended and they even had a couple of district teams attend so game situations could be created. This must have obviously stopped this, but it certainly helped me at the time and would be a great event for beginners/junior umpires in particular.

Reply #14594 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I remember going to one at Tatachilla - Trevor ran it that year. Friday night we went to 36ers game, on the Saturday night everyone went to the various stadiums and umpired at least 1 game and was given feedback on that game. During the days there were theory sessions and we sat an exam at the end. They were a great experience not only for learning but getting to know other referees.

Reply #14596 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

I was 13 or 14 yo when I went to Tatachilla. They are a great idea, but costly and there has been a lack of interest for the past few years.

Reply #14677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754