me
Years ago

Interresting comments by Chuck about the NBL

Link

Good article, he admits that having each owner on the board is a mistake.

Take Adelaide for example. Mal Hemmerling the club owner is the chairman of the NBL board. He is the one that over sees the competition but this is the same person that is signing off on paying Maher way over the highest amount that an individual can earn.

Topic #12769 | Report this topic

D16  
Years ago

Did you by any chance look an see when that was written?!

Reply #148810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This has been posted before. I think Mal has removed himself from that position, but not sure. Don't believe he's listed on the NBL site any more in their directory.

Read this one - Pigs vow to stay alive

I thought it was a bit too negative:

IT IS the most volatile sporting competition in the country. In 29 years, an astonishing 28 club brands have come crashing down in the National Basketball League.

And West Sydney Razorbacks were 45 minutes from joining the extinction list last season.

But after six months of rebuilding - including signing an entirely new playing roster - the Razorbacks will start their 10th season in the NBL when they host Townsville Crocodiles at Olympic Park on Wednesday night.

The Razorbacks' plight is an example of the sport's constant fight for survival.

Just days from the start of the new season, a replacement hasn't been found for commissioner Rick Burton, who resigned last month.

The league hasn't signed a major sponsor. The Australian Sports Commission is reviewing basketball's structure.
I wasn't sure that they were looking for an immediate replacement for Burton or necessarily a naming rights sponsor given the review of the league structure?

Reply #148812 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

FWIW there was a snippet in the gossip column of the Weekend Australian's Sport section on Saturday: the name they were touting as Burton's replacement as Commish was none other than...

Andrew Vlahov.

*sounds of crickets chirping*

Reply #148902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754