Isaac
Years ago

Funny Hummer Championship NBL

Australia's most exciting new automotive brand, HUMMER, has been unveiled as the new naming rights sponsor of the National Basketball League competition, which will now be called the 'HUMMER Championship NBL' for the 2007/08 season.

Full story

Topic #12780 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

"In the League's extensive discussions with HUMMER in the lead-up to this announcement it became clear that the psychographics of NBL fans and HUMMER purchasers were a perfect match," Burton explained.

"They are individuals who relish the idea of not being mainstream, who love fun and don't mind being noticed. The synergies are obvious and we are very excited about this incredible new partnership

The link is about as smooth as an Anna Coren segway.

I often wake up in the morning and think, "If I were a car, I'd definitely be a Hummer."

Reply #148894 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Your psychographic profile must be off the charts, thedoctor.

Reply #148897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pssst, "segue"?

Reply #148903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently, Heal is at launch.

Could be a pic coming up of Hammer in a Hummer

Reply #148904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hummer Championship NBL"

Very strange wording there...

Reply #148905 | Report this post

ASIO Agent  
Years ago

Does that mean the rookie of the year will get a baby Hummer????

Reply #148906 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

much as i hate the hummer and all it represents...hallelujah...we have a sponsor

Reply #148908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should be the NBL Hummer Championship

Reply #148909 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

From my favourite site, dictionary.com

'segway

'noun
'(trademark) a self-balancing personal transportation device with two wheels; can operate in any level pedestrian environment'

I love these things, as made famous by GOB from Arrested Development (my favourite show)

Reply #148912 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

"Incredible ... I'm have an incredible year"

Reply #148922 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

Horray for word of the day TP!!!

Anyone`s money is better than no-ones i guess...

(P.S. - They better pay up...)

Reply #148930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love a hummer right now.

Am I allowed to say that.......

Reply #148936 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Segway = segue? Really? First time I've written it. Who the hell decided to spell it like that?

This has eroded my psychographic profile somewhat.

Reply #148937 | Report this post

Dirty Day  
Years ago

I honestly thought it was Hammer Championship NBL at first.

Reply #148954 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Why wouldn't they also adopt the Hummer slogan 'Like Nothing Else' and splash that over the logo?

Reply #148959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ - wondered if that was possible too. Great slogan. Have we got rid of "It's all fun" yet? ;)

Reply #148962 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Not happy Jan! Never heard if such a vehicle. That's all the NBL needed to lift its profile, a sponsor that is just as unknown in Australia as the NBL is. Now we can really get lost in obscurity.

Reply #148986 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

oops, of, not if.

Reply #148987 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, pretty sure you're not the target market! These things are very popular amongst celebrities and the like - a fairly premium brand new to Australia.

Negative connotations are their position at the pinnacle of gas guzzling and being an icon of excess, but it's a sponsor and it's a positive brand amongst much of the target market.

Reply #148992 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

EC - thats one of the reasons GMH was looking to sponsor something - they are releasing a pricey, unknown vehicle into the country - so unless your a holywood star follower, big into NBA players lifestyles or a 4wd nut you probably wouldnt have heard of a Hummer - perhaps a humvee from wars.

Arnie has 7 of these beasts (one for each day of the week) and is now helping push eco friendly technology into a Hummer.

Reply #148994 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

So they are targeting a select market and they try to find this market amongst a sport that only attracts between 1500 and 5000 people to each game. Good luck to them I say. If anything, we can take heart from the fact that they think the classy type potential customers would be those that follow basketball.

Reply #148995 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm curious to know why you would say I am not the target market apart from the fact that I have never heard of the vehicle.

Reply #148997 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

"Top of the line of Utility Sports - unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgV9Kp8QzOA

Reply #148999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, my mistake - maybe you are male, 30-45 and have a tiny penis?

With regard to your reply to DJ, you neglect to mention that their naming rights sponsorship was probably far more affordable than any similar alternative.

Reply #149000 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That's a bit sexist. I've been driving a 4WD for the last 4 years and you know my gender. I'm actually looking right now to trade up to a bigger vehicle, so I guess I missed your point apart from the fact that I am not male, so the size of my penis is irrelevant.

Reply #149002 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

"She blinds everybody with her super-high beams, she's a squirrel-squashin, deer-smackin driving machine!"

Reply #149004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Target market, not only market. Primary target market for NBL is probably male too, but you're allowed to come along.

The NBL doesn't pick a naming rights sponsor because you've heard of it before. They select it because it remotely fits their ethos and, more realistically, is going to give them money.

Reply #149005 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thanks for the invitation to come along. I can't imagine my life without basketball and now that I've heard so much about the Hummer, perhaps I need that in my life as well. How much are they? I need to check my piggy bank to see if there is enough in there. PS, hope they throw in one of those T shirts with the deal.

Reply #149009 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's a few different models, smaller ones in aust.
That one Isaac had on t-shirt is big overseas model.
They'll do alright and good on 'em.
People will buy them and a bit of an upturn in NBL this year. (some people want that big overseas model. I work in the shipping industry,and a bit of demand if I can fit them in shipping containers)

Reply #149010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we should be thankful that there is a major sponsor.

Could be the Ansell NBL Championship for all I care as long there is $ in the league.

Reply #149013 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The Ansell NBl Championship. Don't let Bo Hamburger near this one. What would the league slogan be?

"We've got it covered!"

"The NBL - only one thing you'd rather be doing!"

Reply #149029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBL....see, we're not f%cked!"

Reply #149030 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

The Ansell NBL Championship: Pyschographic Prophylactic.

Reply #149039 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

No, it would be the Ansell Championship NBL (because us Hummer luvin' basketball types like weird verb usages)

Anyway, what would be wrong with the current slogan:

'The Ansell Championship, it's all fun!'

Reply #149047 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

What does Hummer mean in the US? Lets hope the NBL doesn't suck this year. Maybe the outgoing boss thought it sucked and that is why he did the parting deal?

Reply #149256 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754