billo
Years ago

European Champs

For anyone interested Russia has defeated Spain 60-59 in the final of the European championships. Russia's American born SG (I think) hit a shot with about 3 seconds to go for the win, Pau Gasol then missed a chance down the other end and it was game over.

By all accounts it was a pretty major upset, Russia were just pleased to have qualified for the Olympics and then they went on the won the whole thing.

AK47 (or AK7 as he is when playing for Russia - doesn't have the same ring) was named tournament MVP, Dirk was leading scorer for the tourney with Toney Parker second.

In less impressive European hoops I was fortunate to catch world powerhouses Great Britain and Switzerland go head to head yesterday. It was fascinating to watch actually, basically an ABA quality game with a couple of NBA players thrown into the mix. Luol Deng was huge for GB scoring almost half of their points, while Thabo Sefolosha was impressive for the Swiss. Britain's supporting cast was better (and much bigger) so they ran home comfortable winners.

Topic #12785 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billo,

Where did you watch the games?

Reply #149146 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Anon, I'm living in the UK at the moment so the Great Britain game was on Sky TV over here. Didn't actually see any of the main championships (besides one game when I was in Germany a few weeks ago) as that wasn't picked up here.

Reply #149171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754