Great idea
Years ago

ABL 18/22/27 games

Apparently, there is a meeting happening in the near future with the club presidents, to determine whether next years season (ABL) will be 18,22 or 27 games.
Personally, i think we must move to 27 games, and here is how i think it should happen. Home and away for each team against every other team. That means 9 home, 9 away. The 9 remaining games could, or should in my opinion, be played at a neutral venue, eg. wayville or dome on either a sunday afternoon, or mid-week.
Imagine heading to wayville on a sunday afternoon for the following fixtures....
1230pm sturt v west
215pm southern v south
400pm forestville v eastern
545pm north v norwood
730pm centrals v woodville.
I am talking about the mens competition here, and obviously some people will want to keep the men women from the same club at the same venue, but i think we do that with the home and away games (18 games), so why not give each of the other teams a look at each other with the remainind 9 games.
I can only see this as a positive, and if you ask any of the old-timers, they will tell you that wednesday nights at apollo when all teams played one after the other, was the best way to have games scheduled.
27 games is an absolute must, and by having 9 games at a neutral venue, it can significantly reduce the drain on club volunteers!!
Please presidents, give state league basketball the boost it needs, 18 games is just a joke!

Topic #12786 | Report this topic

MJ to Pip  
Years ago

And how is wayville or the dome a neutral venue?

If woodville play elsewhere then the dome would be great.

I think 27 games might be pushing it, but 18 is probably not quite enough.

22 is a good number - the extra 4 games could be played at the dome midweek before or after a long weekend so we get rid of the 4x2 week breaks we currently have. The only thing to work out is who plays who for those extra games. by playing the 4 games at a neutral venue the guys and girls wouldn't have to play the same teams which means you could work a fair seeding system based on the previous year's results and try to even out the comp.

Reply #149024 | Report this post

DO it  
Years ago

Its not like woodville are going to be any good. 27 games for me. But no mid week games, just more double header weekends. Play every team 3 times, some you will play twice at home and once away, and vice versa for others. Yes that means that some teams will play 14 home and 13 away and vice versa, but as long as it is rotated from year to year then who cares?

I really hope the clubs don't be soft on this and go for the 18 games because that really is not what the players want.

Reply #149043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its gotta be 18 players are overworked an underpaid as it is

Reply #149045 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

22 games is just dumb....You play each other twice and then you play an extra 4 games. Who decides who gets to play who? Just not fair. Ask people in the AFL and they cant work out why they do it other than they cant play three rounds because of the physical aspect of their game.

27 games with multiple double headers is also stupid. In years gone by we played 3 rounds but that was mid week and over a longer period when we weren't so foolish as to be in the ABA. (Another story but a complete waste of money..)

18 games plus finals is fine. Maybe the GF could be a best of three? 1 game home each and then the last one at the Dome. Would allow clubs to really get behind their respective teams at their home GF.

Reply #149046 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

If I remember correctly, playing for South a few seasons back I remember it was a 22 game season. We were on the verge of making finals and it came down to the last 3 or 4 games for us to make it. Our last 4 games, which were the games we played teams for a 3rd time we played Sturt, Forestville, Woodville (who were all top 4) and maybe a lesser ranked team and we ended up on missing the finals on a buzzer beating 3 by Woddville's import centre in the last game. No doubt if it was Centrals or Southern or something like that we would have made it. That highlights how unfair a 22 game season can be IMO...

Reply #149050 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I'd like to throw this thought into the ring.
Underpaid - probably but most players are out there for the love not the money.

Overworked - definately - but that should be an argument for MORE games not less. Considering the amount of work that goes into the teams in the league, 18 games just doesn't seem like enough. Most teams would train from October to August in one capacity or another which to mean seems to be an awful lot for only 18 minor round games.

27 is the prefered number i feel.

Reply #149051 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Mr Collar,
I could not agree more, i have absolutely no doubt in the world, that if you asked the players, 90-95% of them would want 27 games. Go 27!!

Reply #149052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blue Collar is right

Junior teams play what 50 games a year
Social teams play 50 games a year

and our premier state level comp we play ... 18 games

These guys train between 2-4 times a week so they can play in an 18 game comp. I mean sheesh even the reserves play in a 26 game comp.

The midweek games are a great idea and could attract a new audience.

Also with a team salary cap of 15k I hardly think the money is the reason anyone is playing in the ABL - their playing for the love of competitive hoops at a high level

So lets feed them some more competition - Time to make some changes!!

Reply #149054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a player, and would love to have 27 games!

Reply #149090 | Report this post

bigboybubba  
Years ago

Everyone I have spoke to over the past couple of years would love to play more games. That is what the players want, but will BSA actually listen or just do their own thing because it is just too hard?

Reply #149093 | Report this post

Pasadena 85  
Years ago

But clubs are the ones who would need to resourse the games. And a majority of clubs do not have the volunteers, nor desire to organise more games.

Reply #149099 | Report this post

Come on  
Years ago

Well the clubs should be ashamed of themselves for not being able to get the volunteers and resources to do 4 or 5 extra home games a year.

Reply #149139 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Anon 149054, I would like to know how junior teams play 50 games a year.

Most players in the ABL play more than 18 games a year. Summer/Winter seasons.

I am all for a 27 game season as this I feel is the fairest to all clubs. The thing that most people tend to forget is the programming. The league only have a limited amount of time to run the CABL competition. If they increase the amount of games then it would necessitate the addition of more double headers.

Double headers in my opinion are detrimental to most players and I for one are against this.

Reply #149182 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Points to consider

1) The Clubs, well actually the junior fees will have to cashflow the additional cost from 18 to 27
2) 13 double headers - disruptions to Junior Sunday trainings + extra cost to clubs to hire extra venues
3) Volonteers

27 would work if the games were supported better
If all the Clubs could pull between 300 and 400 / game they would jump at it. If supporter levels stay the same, it will just cost more

The real question here would 27 games increase attendance or reduce it

22 is just stupid

Reply #149195 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Sturty - this is a rough breakdown of my junior teams year (from Oct 06-Sept 07).

Summer season - 11 games + 2 finals
Winter season - 18 games + 4 finals
Eltham Tournament - 5 games
Easter Tournament - 6 games
State Champs - 6 games
Classics - 6 games

Total - 58 games.

I don't think this would be all that uncommon for a division 1 team. Even if you take out the two "optional" tournament (IE - Easter & Eltham) the vast majority of teams will play a tournament over the June long weekend & will fall in the 40's.

Reply #149214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u guys gotta remember aba players bodies are older and injured more then juniors they cannot play as many games, most players are totally spent at the end of the season , so i dont see how 27 games will help anything, crowds will be down imports will demand more cash more injuries resulting oin players havin shorter careers, keep it at 18

Reply #149216 | Report this post

sh*thot  
Years ago

How about two extra teams - riverland, and northern heat, or a country team.

Then everyone can play 22 games without repeating disasters - like lockstock has mentioned.

Reply #149224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 149216 you are obv not an ABL player - whereas I and a few others that have commented are.

Your missing the point totally - fact is we train maybe 3 times a week at a level as high as an ABL game. Any players that are totally spent at the end of the year are more than likely trashed from too much training if anything

The issue is so much hard work goes into a piddly 18 game season. Your talking a 4-5 month preseason, training all year and your worried about an extra 9 games???

Guys 6 to 10 play 30 reserves games for the year also and heaps would be training another 3-4 times a week with Academy or Junior / State programs.

If your still worried I'm sure most ABL programs could easily cut 9 training sessions to play these extra games.

Anyway back to the point - our premier state league comp is too short. Frankly it is demeaning the whole competition. If the clubs are worried about running an extra 9 games then go the mid week - triple header route and save costs and reqd volunteer numbers.

Its the best and most obvious solution and I'll go out on a limb and say 95% of ABL players would support it.

Reply #149245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just for info:
SEABL play 26 in a 14 team comp
Big V play 20 in an 11 team comp
QABL 18 in a 15 team comp
Waratah 18 in a 13 team comp

Reply #149251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

27 would be good as long as there was no summer season. us for example. we start in about a week or something then straight into the summer season. get maybe 2 - 3 weeks off at christmas then 3 trainings a week till the main season starts. during summer players playing div 1 and 2 will have training or games on monday, tuesday, wednesday thursday and saturday morning. now thats ok if your at uni being a bum. but its not great if your on a building site from 7 till 4 or 5 pm then go to training/games. and as for more double headers that is a shit idea. are we not allowed to have a life! double headers SUCK ASS! that is y people like the idea of the shorter season. so they can have a bit of a life. its not like we get paid millions to play

Reply #149267 | Report this post

Come on  
Years ago

If your not up to it mate(149467), go play footy...

Reply #149431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been playing State League/ABA for over 15 yers now and could not think of anything worse than playing a 27 game season! Yes I am getting older and the body doesn't recover as well as it use to but come on 27 games is over kill.

Everyone on this site as simply be talking about ABA and have forgotten that over 50% of an ABA team actually play in reserves also. Players 6,7 & 8 in most ABA teams will play big minutes (20+) in an ABA game and then play 40 mins in a reserve game.

If we look at this season the above players have played 44 games in just the main season alone - this does not take into account summer season plus any trial games and pre-season trainings - therefore most of these players would in fact player more than the juniors do but are also twice as old. Most clubs train 2 - 3 times per week and then there are 2 games per week (if you are not s starter), this only gives people 2 nights a week off. Put the extra games in to make 27 games in a season and these players will get 1 night off per week. THIS IS NOT SMART.

What has also been forgotten in previous posts is that teams who actually make it through to finals are playing more than the 18 games as suggested - take into account also if you are a reserves player and make finals - this could equate to an addition 8 games.

I have also been around long enough to be a part of when the games were played mid-week and I can say that this is NOT the preferred time to play. In finals time there was always a good number of supporters out watching but during the season there were very few. Try playing a 10pm game on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, how many spectators do you think went and watched??? Since games have gone to a weekend there are so many more families that come out and watch and there isn't as much of a segrefation from the senior program to the junior program as there one was.

If BSA want to really find out what the players and club volunters want they need to do an official survey and let the majority rule rather than letting the presidents just have their say.

Reply #149450 | Report this post

don't think so  
Years ago

Whatever pal, 27 games for me! Maybe if you have been in the league for 15 years you should not be playing reserves and leave it for the younger blokes.

I can't think of anyone who is in the league now and has been for 15 years anyway....

Reply #149460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

149460 - if clubs want some more experienced players to play in reserves to help out the younger players then that is the clubs decision. Young players need guidence and leadership on the court and they get this by playing with people who have the experience.

If you can't think of anyone who has been in the league for 15 years then you're not thinking to hard!

Reply #149471 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

- 22 games.
- Less double headers.
- 18 isn't worth the effort.
- 27 is too long and won't attract WNBL players, riksing making our comp a farcial exercise in mediocrity.

18 games (everyone plays each other twice) and a lottery draw to decide who plays each other a third time. Lottery done at start of year - computer spits out the first 18, and coaches watch the other for games drawn from lotto cage - each coach alternates through until they've drawn out the remainder. total chance = fairness for all and removes any criticism of a biased draw.

MHO only. feedback welcome.

Reply #149483 | Report this post

who is it?  
Years ago

15 years, lets see, candidates would be,

Ben hodges. He is 28/29, that would mean he would have been 13/14 when he started so he is out.

Same for Kosmider!

No one from Woodville, North, South.

Cooper from Norwood? Not sure about his age, doubt he would post on here anyway.

Oakley for Forestville is 32 i think, which would make him 17 when he started, but 4 years in college, so he is out.

Ha ha, I think I might have it, Breeding for Forestville! Is that you Darren? Guessing he is about 38 which would qualify him. And he plays reserves I believe. Doubt that he would post on here tho.

Coruthers would be another close one. i have him at about 32/33 years old. Could be him. He plays ressies too! Is that you Shane? Come on mate, if it is, shorely you would love more games! You can't get enough of it.

Mann could be another. if it is then his view isn't worth anything to me. The only reason he would suggest such a thing is because his own body is breaking down on him.

Clayton would be one more. Not sure of his age but he has been around for a while, but he really has done nothing so his view really does not count.

Lastly Palmer for Sturt. Definatley could be him. There was mention of Riverland earlier too. He too sometimes plays ressies. Palmer, just because your club has no volunteers you don't have to ruin it for the rest of us.

Thats all the candidates for mine. I'm going for Palmer. Am i right?????

Reply #149491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, i'm going for Palmer too!

Reply #149706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754