Qlder
Years ago

Blaze: How bad was Daniel Joyce!

That was an embarrassing start to the season.
Father left him on for way too long.He obviously is either uncomfortable or incompetent bringing the ball up, take your pick.

What happened when Brendan left Crowe on in the last qtr,bucket load of points when it's all too late.

It's going to be a super long season for the new boys.....

Topic #12823 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

He sucks, badly. When he was guarding CJ you could see CJ's eyes light up and just go at him everytime. It seems everyone knows he's a chump except his dad. You'd be spewing if you were one of the imports sitting on the bench watching him play instead of you

Reply #149414 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Said it before and people got cranky but I am gonna say it again ... worst player in the NBL.

Reply #149415 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What would be worse is if you were an up and coming player with a bit of talent and he was getting on the court before you.
Daniel Joyce best 12th man........

Reply #149416 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

He was simply horrible. Always hard for any son to live in the footsteps of etc, but his father is to blame here, not the lad.

Reply #149417 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Big call SVD - at this stage Ill hold my opinion until I have seen him play a few more games. At this stage in the games i have seem him play live I would say -

1 he did well,
1 he had no effect on the game,
1 he was well below par.

as for getting cranky - Id rather see people criticise the coach for giving him the minutes rather than the player. When on court Junion Joyce gives everything he can and busts his arse - whether or not that is good enough is up to the coach to decide and it appears that his judgement is sometimes way off!

Reply #149418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can not wait to see the next time they interview Joyce Snr about Joyce Jnr.

I saw an interview last year with him in the stands at a Tigers game. Gaze said Daniel was struggling and Joyce Snr got very defensive and then started saying how his boy was doing an outstanding job running the team and getting the ball where it needed to go!!

Remember Daniel missing 3 wide open 3's and Gaze said "well it's time to put the que back in the rack son"

Reply #149419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The kid's not going to turn down an opportunity so I won't criticise him for being on court. Responsibility here is with the coach playing him that much. He should've been third option at the point like Kersten in NZ, not second option behind a scoring point guard.

Reply #149421 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

he's young- experience at this level will benefit him. interesting ryan kersten may well have expected to wait to see time but got on and got minutes and sounded like he wasn't hesitant but tried to play his game at that level rather than go cautious. SOJ can't be criticised for having a crack and if you stop taking open shots within your range you might as well not be out there. Lemanis is looking wise for taking an extra point development player who was a query with many!!!

Reply #149424 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I agree lads - I think in the point I made a few months back was that it was his dad that was putting him out there.

The kid can obviously play ball better than most of us but he is not NBL standard and he should not be getting minutes

Reply #149425 | Report this post

Camel 26  
Years ago

He's not up to ABL standard let alone NBL standand. He can't dribble left, shoot or defend anyone!

People shouldn't have to pay to watch that. His Dad is a franchise killer. It won't be long until the fans start yelling abuse at the coach.

Reply #149434 | Report this post

Seriously  
Years ago

flatshot,

But if your range is not outside the key and you are bombing away 3's then you are not doing a good job.

SOJ was 3 from 30 from the 3 point line at a Junior Nationals a couple of years back. From what I have seen, he hasn't improved too much from that.

Remember, there is a reason he is open to shoot. It is because the other team is leaving him open.

Reply #149440 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

It is an insult to Ryan Kirsten to compare him with SOJ he has paid his dues, outstanding junior, 2 years at AIS and 2 years at Div 1 College. Please tell me what has SOJ done to deserve the opportunities he has had. This is not good for the game or more particularly the Blaze.

Reply #149447 | Report this post

sydsixersfan  
Years ago

I was at the sixers games in wollongong last season and even their fans were calling for him to get off the court.

Reply #149451 | Report this post

Pasadena 48  
Years ago

The problem is his father has lost all perspective when dealing with him - he's taken neoptism to a whole nother level. From what I know of SOJ, he's a decent enough kid and as Isaac says, who would blame him for taking this opportunity? Blame the father for his amazingly silly attitude, not the son.

SOJ would have been far better off going to college (even if he's only capable of D2 level), getting dedicated strength and skills coaches looking after him, then maybe coming back after having earned his dues and improved in an environment with less pressure (as far as no one talking about the whole father/son thing).

Instead, he's getting ridiculous minutes in a world-class league and being destroyed by every PG he faces because 1) he's physically incredibly weak 2) he has NO left hand 3) his shooting mechanics are primitive to say the least and 4) his defence is practically non-existent at this level.

I feel very sorry for Coast fans who will have to put up with this garbage every night. Brendan is a good coach, but when it comes to SOJ he basically loses his mind.

Reply #149453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kid not good enough at this stage and may never be. Dad needs to take his parents goggles off. He is not helping the kid by over playing him. I feel for the kid as he is only doing what everyone else would.

Reply #149457 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

All you would need to do it stand in front of him on D because he moves worse than my grandma and cant get past anyone!!! Oh and as everyone has said cant shoot a lick!!!

Reply #149464 | Report this post

dmacmich  
Years ago

Dont people like ever get taught not to play in the same team as a father-son team! It will screw up the blaze for this season and many years to come

Reply #149465 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

father and son blacks at cairns, tigers and the gazes?????

Reply #149468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gaze was exceptional, and the Blacks did it well - Stephen had to sit and wait for his chance and it all worked out OK in the end. Seems not to be the case with the Joyces.

Reply #149469 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

i coached all my kids, can't remember any problems. Joyces may not hit the heights of gazes and Blacks but it will work itself out. Even those blinded by what they want to see will be kicked in the bum by reality at some stage.

Reply #149473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fans sponsors and officials of the Blaze ar already asking a lot of questions about SOJ playing. He clearly is only an ABA level players. There will be some pissed off bench players who wont be happy.

Reply #149489 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

I think youd be better of having Budda in the Blaze instead of Joyce

Reply #149502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this talk about Daniel Joyce makes me wonder why sixer fans are so happy having Darren Ng in the team?

Reply #149512 | Report this post

Dick Vitale  
Years ago

dat shizzle waz ugly.I reckon SOJ couldnt get his game on in da local sunday div 4 mens comp seriously

Reply #149560 | Report this post

DFSFFFFSDF  
Years ago

you cant criticize darren ng. his pre season was excellent. you will see him do alot better than daniel joyce this season.

your an absolute joke!!!!

Reply #149566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did ng do in preseason that was so outstanding in comparison to Joyce's preseason?

Reply #149578 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Father-son combinations will work if the player is an established and experienced player. not when its a young guy trying to earn a name in the league because the fathers just going to do anything to give him the minutes and let him succeed (or fail in joyce's case).
The hawks fans didnt like the Joyce pair last year and i cant see GC putting up with it much longer either.

Reply #149617 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

Joyce should not be a back up point guard. His dad is doing the wrong thing by him. He was awful, but was put in a bad spot by his dad.

Reply #149620 | Report this post

Crosseyed Coach  
Years ago

Father son worked with Barry Barnes and Shane Heal? Or did Barry just love Shane like a son?

Reply #149635 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

In answer to the title, he is VERY bad.

He was so bad the other night I could see stink lines coming off of him on the court.

Joyce has rekindled the flame I have for making an NBL roster... and after watching Wollongong tonight I think I should put my resume out there!!!

First NBL punch up... Crowe vs Joyce's

Reply #149637 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

yeah i reckon youll make it if theres a Mr. Lebroy snr. out there coaching

Reply #150187 | Report this post

Tozzie  
Years ago

Joyce is puttin up decent numbers and has obviously improved since last year in the gong! If u ask me ide say hes done pretty well for himself. Being put on the court for so many mins and now he is actually capitalizing on it, hes not turning the ball over so much, he finds the open man and he is hitting his jumpshots on a team thats 4th in the NBL! What else do you expect from him or from an expansion franchize!

Reply #165357 | Report this post

TimeTravelingGoat  
Years ago

A case of history repeating itself in 2016 with Burton.

Reply #589201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Burton? Rick?

Reply #589246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754