ABC
Years ago

Junior Grand Finals - Sunday Sept 23

For those interested I'll try and keep an update going as the day goes.

Currently it's Quarter Time of the Under 12 finals.

Under 12 Boys 1: West Adelaide 5 v Sturt 10
Under 12 Girls 1: Forestville 10 v Eastern 2

Topic #12861 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 12 Boys: Sturt survived a 4th quarter comeback to beat West by around 10.

Under 12 Girls: Despite some hard work by the Eastern girls Forestville held on for the win.

Reply #149792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half time of the Under 14 games.

Under 14 girls 1: Sturt 34 v Forestville 29

Under 14 boys 1: Sturt 37 v Eastern 53

Reply #149797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 quarter time ...

Reply #149798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 14 results

Under 14 girls 1: Sturt 52 defeated Forestville 47 in Overtime

Under 14 boys 1: Eastern 61 defeated Sturt 49

Reply #149800 | Report this post

avaguess  
Years ago

how did the u18 div 1s go?

Reply #149818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls Under 16's Div 2
Centrals districts defeated Forestville Eagles
final scores: 40 - 37

congratulations to Centrals, with a good effort from forestville.

Sad to see not all girls on both sides having a run. Im sure they contributed to getting their team to the finals. Both coaches should explain as all team members deserve the opportunity to be part of a final game, not just bench warmers.

As a parent I know I pay the same fees as everyone else and should have the opportunity to see my child play esspecially if my child turned up to all training sessions and games.

Dissapointed in the lack of faith from coaches on the day.

Reply #149835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A full list of winners and runners-up is available here, as are the details of the Keith Miller and Sylvia White medalists.

Reply #149840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern Maverick's was just far too good for the Sabre's, they proved that they are a far better team than Sturt.... Congratulation's MAV'S

Reply #149851 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

only 2 champioships at magic does that mean they are playing at the level more suited to the skills or is the honeymoon over.

Reply #149861 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Nice work Mavs.. A very good win in the end..

Reply #149881 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Booga, still looking to get a bite from us... not gonna happen. Get a life.

Reply #149891 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

not after a bite, just stating a fact! we all remember how u all came on here and state how great u r and that u r the best well i guess the bubble has burst!!!

Reply #149892 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

how many grand final winners did you have booga?

Reply #149895 | Report this post

Saw the Under 14 Boys game and Mavs played very well, but the Sturt boys did a good job go still be a chance with 2 minutes to go. Both teams level in skills but the Mavs kids just bigger and physically dominant and they play very hard. A decent game all round, one in which both teams can take positives from.

Gutsy comeback by Forestville in the girls to almost get over the line. Some brilliant play by Sturt's stars got them the win in overtime.

North almost upset Forestville in 20 Boys. Forestville coach stuck with his court time policy and played the guys that train more regularly, with some of his stars on the bench for lengthy periods. Gutsy move, admirable when the stakes were so high. North went for the 3 at the end when maybe something closer may have been a better option.

The Sturt 18 Boys were awesome with a big win over a North team that has always given them trouble before. Great inside power game and a half court pressure defense clinic. North got it going late when the damage was already done. Very impressive.

Reply #149897 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

No North Div 1 Grand Final winners this year.
Rockets misfired. Mechanics wanted.

Reply #149905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good is the West women's senior program looking?

Won:
U18 Div 1 Girls
U21 Div 1 Women
U21 Div 2 Women
Reserves Women
ABA Women

Reply #149916 | Report this post

rumrunner  
Years ago

Should see a bottle neck with many girls needing to changes clubs over the next two years to get an ABA game.

Reply #149917 | Report this post

and then they will have the imports as well - woodville looking good

Reply #149924 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'd like to know who picked the Keith Miller award, Gavin Kargans!!! Come on lets get serious now, his team won three games and I didn't even think he played that many games for them. In that case you may as well have given it to Jordan Dodman!!! Let's look at a couple of players like Fildes, Wernham, Molitor, Harding, Brown, Florence, the red head kid from Norwood (sorry, can't remember his name), when has an MVP ever come from a second to bottom team???

Reply #149928 | Report this post

Club (Premiers, Runners Up)
Sturt 10 10
Forestville 10 5
North 6 9
West 5 2
Norwood 3 6
Woodville 2 3
Western 2 1
Eastern 1 1
South 1 1
Centrals 1 0
Northern 1 0
Torrens Valley 0 3
Southern 0 1

Sturt still on top. Dominated the boys. Have dropped in girls.
Forestville pushing. Dominated the girls. Won 2/3 of gfs.
North still a force. Would not be happy with its gf strike rate.
West had a good strike rate over the weekend.
Norwood would be disappointed.
Woodville with some better results.
Eastern on the way up but low numbers a problem.
South, Centrals and Southern disappointing.

Reply #149929 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Panther - Ben Howell is the red head from Norwood.

The medals are voted on by the refs in a 3-2-1 format after each match.

Reply #149932 | Report this post

Jump Suit  
Years ago

did the grand finals go to plan? were there any big upsets? undefeated teams losing in the gf?

any exceptional games on friday or sunday? the u14 girls must have been pretty good?

Reply #149936 | Report this post

Giraffe 68  
Years ago

The 14 Girls game was great. It looked like f/ville had the momentum heading into OT, but couldn't get it done.

Sturt's paitence and ball movement was fantastic.

The boys game was also quite entertaining as Sturt made a surge at the end of the 3rd and the start of the 4th holding Mavs scoreless for about 5 or so mins.

Hoop Addict had a good view of the game, he may be able to give a bit more of a run down.

Reply #149945 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Well done mav's showed why you were the top team all year.

Reply #149955 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Thanks Hoop Addict...It doesn't suprise me then that he won.

Reply #149957 | Report this post

William 39  
Years ago

I didn't have as good a vantage point as Hoop Addict, but I suspect he probably won't comment on the game.

From what I saw (although I must confess, I did spend considerable time watching the girls game, especially down the wire), the Mavs really put the pressure on early and had 25 or so points on the board by quarter time.

From there is was about even I think - Mavs winning by low teens.

They seemed a little bigger & stronger than the Sabre boys, and applied lots of pressure in the full court which created turnovers & easy baskets.

Good luck to all 5 U14 teams going away to nationals.

Reply #149959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gav played most if not all games for Woodville. I think most people would say he had a great year even though his team didn't. Get off his case panther, he more than deserved it. Well done Gav.

Reply #149977 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Yep, Gav did play well, and was clearly surrounded by a poor supporting cast, and was the MVP of his TEAM, but it's difficult to say he MVP of the league. You put any of the players mentioned above on his team, and put that much scoring load on them, they would have been MVP .. just seems that the kids on the stronger teams are penalised by having a strong supporting cast, and the real MVPs aren't noticed until they are absent from their teams. Ah well. Congrats to Gav for having such an outstanding and consistent year.

Reply #149982 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

Brownlow is picked the same... Seems to work out for the AFL's top honour?

Reply #149985 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I'm not sure if this is still an issue, but I know in the past there have been problems with some venues not submitting votes for the U20/U21 medals as well.

For example, if the votes from Marion games weren't making their way to the Dome, then obviously, it'd be hard for a South fella to win.

That's purely speculation though, for all I know, each & every game may have been accounted for. I'm sure Arnie would be able to clarify/confirm that.

Reply #150079 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

That's very true "someoneelse", but can you tell me off the top of your head when the last time someone won the Brownlow that wasn't play in the Grand final the following week???
There has been one in the last 8 seasons and that was Judd in 2004 and at least his team played finals!

Reply #150098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice work by the highly underrated West Under 18 girls winning the GF, didn't this same group of players/team also win the winter season in U16s in 2005

Reply #150113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther since 1990 there have been 12 players to win the Brownlow and not play in the Grand Final. These are Judd in 2004, Riccuto and Goodes in 2003, Crawford in 1999, Harvey in 1998, Voss and Hird in 1996, Kelly in 1995, Williams in 1994, Wynd in 1992, Stynes in 1991 and Liberatore in 1990. Judging by your 4 posts you are either a parent or friend of someone you think should have won or just a wanna be that is tasting sour grapes. Gav deserves the win he had a consistent season and did it at both ends of the court.

Reply #150145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So since 2000 there has only been 2 years in which the winner has NOT played in the GF?

You don't know who Panther is.

Reply #150147 | Report this post

tk  
Years ago

It's Panther the guy who took cheap shot for South.

Reply #150170 | Report this post

BIG Baller  
Years ago

well done to all teams that played in grand finals and congratulations to those who won. also congratulations to Sturt and Forestville for having so many teams in GF's

booga i think your comments about magic are getting boring find something else to go on about seems like everone else has moved on but you

Reply #150191 | Report this post

Buns of Steel  
Years ago

aaaah good old magic! Insisting you are not going to bite at Boogas comments, then having a bite at his comments.

Love your work Booga; keep it up fella!

Reply #150211 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think you'll find that in 2003 there was a Brownlow winner playing in a grand final so that year is a little different, it's not often you have three winners.
So really there has only been 1 year since 2000 the winner wasn't playing the GF.
If you had noticed, I named players from a number of different clubs so there is no biased at all and it's not about being a parent or friend.
I'm not saying Gavin is a good player, don't confuse that one, i'm just saying that there were better players out there and it's not that hard to look good on a team which didn't have a lot of talent.
Let's look at the NBA MVP's and how their team faired...
2007-Nowitzki (Dallas Best record in NBA)
2006- Steve Nash (Phoenix 4th best record in NBA)
2005- Nash (Phoenix best record in NBA)
2004- Garnett (Minnesota best record in NBA)
2003- Tim Duncan (SA Best Record in NBA/GF)
2002- Tim Duncan (SA 2nd best record in NBA)
2001- Allen Iverson (Philly 2nd best record in NBA/GF)
2000- Shaq (LA Best record in NBA/GF)
1999- Malone (Utah best record in NBA)
1998- Jordan (Chicago best record in NBA/GF)
1997- Malone (Utah 2nd best record in NBA/GF)
1996- Jordan (Chicago Best record in NBA/GF)

Wow..seems there is a pattern... Steve Nash's Suns have been the lowest placed team of the MVP at 4th for over 20 years!
But a player from a team that finished second to bottom and had only 3 wins for the year, come on let's get serious!

Reply #150214 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Panther, it would probably be better to compare the past records of the teams that have won the medal and the winner...and in 90% of the cases you would have had similar results.

Maybe the Forestville rotation policy hurt?

Reply #150217 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

"I'm not saying Gavin is a good player, don't confuse that one..."

Lol @ this typo :).

I assume you meant you're not saying Gavin isn't a good player...

Reply #150219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #150222 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Lol...yeah sorry that is meant to say..."I'm not saying Gavin isn't a good player, don't confuse that one..."

Reply #150226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Panther don't rain on Gavin's parade. He was selected by the referees regardless of which team he plays for - he obviously caught their eye when his team played the higher ranked teams. He got the most votes from the refs and that is the criteria for the Medal selection - so be it.
Anon

Reply #150228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hay pathetic, or was it panther, easy to confuse... one question, what is that you have achieved? tell us your name and we'll research on your playing history and everything you have achieved... who can honestly complain about Gavin winning the MVP, obviously he can play the game... if he can win it in a bottom side team, he obviously is pretty good to standout above the league... Congratulations to Gav on winning such an impressive award, before you criticise someone again, hows about you think about how stupid you just sounded dissing someone who won an MVP... well done Gavin, all the best for the future

Reply #150263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, that is ridiculous using NBA stats. to make a point about our league. Bit like saying it doesn't rain much in Saudi Arabia that's why we're in a drought.
Give the kid some credit.

Reply #150269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther you are a tool. "it's not that hard to look good on a team which didn't have a lot of talent." That statement means Gavin was playing a team that had (in your words) more talent. I guess the umpires didn't notice the players from that team of talented players and only looked at Gavs team. Get a life. Gav was a worthy winner.

Reply #150287 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It seems to me we have the same person posting 3 different posts, but I like your enthusiasm Gav...I mean anonymous! It's really not that hard to know who I am, you obviously haven't been posting on here very long!
In no way have I "dissed" Gavin as a player personally. But I am saying that there were other players who were better and were obviously more value, considering the lack of success to his team.

Reply #150289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#150263 - if you don't know who Panther is, then I guess you must be new around here.

"tell us your name and we'll research on your playing history and everything you have achieved". Maybe you need to do some research on this forum first. Have a look back at Panther's posting history, and if you know anything about SA basketball, you'll work it out pretty quickly.

Reply #150302 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

and if you don't, ask ya mum.

Reply #150306 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

you know who should have got it? me... yup me... no real reason why, but i should have cause i said so. does anyone really care about who won this award? hell i dont think half the league has heard of it till now. this i ridiculous, gav won it cause he performed above and beyond everyone else fullstop, congrats to the man

Reply #150307 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

LMAO mel gibson!

Sorry Panther, was gold though...

Reply #150310 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

you coulda won it ricey, if you ever stayed past half time ..

Reply #150463 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

gota make them dollars my friend, but its unfortunate that i had to leave most of the time at end of the 3rd to do that

Reply #150471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this Panther wanker and what is his grudge against Gav. Get a life man. Gav deserved the award and panther must be some sap that thought he should win it (or one of his bum buddies.

Reply #152488 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Or their coach, perhaps?

Reply #152493 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754