Years ago

Chris Blakemore - What Happened?

What ever happened to Chris Blakemore?

I remember him playing for the 36ers from when I was younger, as I'm sure do a lot of other long-time fans.

He was the 1993 NBL Rookie of the Year, so he obviously had some talent. I remember that he stuck around with Adelaide for a while, and then went to play for the Newcastle Falcons (I could be mistaken), and then I didn't hear much about him after that.

So then, what actually happened to him? Did he just fade out and eventually not get a gig in the NBL, got surpassed by others etc.?

Topic #12867 | Report this topic

Dymez  
Years ago

A work colleague of mine actually knew chris very well back in the day thru what was back then the ABA. And he said the party lifestyle took over his life, he started using drugs, binge drinking, and basically wasting all his talent away... I remember watching him when i was in juniours, training at mawson lakes uni. (formerly the levels) and that guy could throw down!!

So sad to see someone who seemed to have the talent 2 make it in the NBL go out that way. Funny you bring this subject up tho "3" I was just going thru a shoebox of old trading cards the other day and I've got a pretty shmicko Blakemore rookie card! What a waste!

Reply #149870 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Chirs Blakemore was just 19 when he joined the Sixers, he was a young kid with plenty of bulk and immense potential. Blakemore was named the Rookie of the year in 1993 and in 1994 was named the NBL's most improved player. His agility for his size was rare, his upperbody strength almost unseen in the NBL. Blakemore played three season's with the Sixers (1993 to 1995), before being cut when coach Mike Dunlap underwent a major overhaul of the team.

Blakemore showed plenty of potential and went on to sign a deal with the Canberra Cannons for season 1996, however it wasnt to be as Blakemore went down with a knee injury and saw only 5 minutes court time in 3 games. Blakemore underwent the knife and returned to the NBL in season 1998 for the Brisbane Bullets, but once again it wasnt to be as his knee gave him troubles again and he failed to get on court for the Bullets.

In 2000/01 Blakemore played in the Australia Basketball Association (ABA) with the Albury/Woodonga Bandits. The Bandits won their conference in that year and Blakemore averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.

Blakemore was in Albury/Woodonga working as an instructor for the Defence Force.

Reply #149873 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

I grew up in Whyalla playing footy and Ball with and against this guy. Even at the age of 10-12 he was MASSIVE! In fact if I recall correctly, he had a growth problem and his parents actually had to put him on drugs to stop his growth. I always wondered if they should have let him grow a bit more first! The knee issues probably mean the body couldn't have handled it anyway. Pity, he was a good guy in those days.

Reply #149883 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Yeah - i was a huge fan of Blakemore in my teenage years (anyone remember the UNBELEIVABLE drop step two-hander dunk he did circa '95 and the lameass fistpumping celebration down the court - yin and yang baby!!!) ... Til that elbow on Catt (1995 playoffs???) - which was one of the cheapest shots i have ever seen... Which (ironically) led to him being shown the door (along with other aforementioneds), only to be replaced by Cattalini!!!

Reply #149896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I recall someone on this forums said he became a bouncer after NBL?!?

Reply #149901 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I saw him on a Thursday morning shooting around at Flinders uni circa 1999, hope this helps.

Reply #149902 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

I think he is hanging out with Harold Miner, Kym Taylor, Calvin Talford, Tonny Jensen and Brad McKinnon.

Reply #149914 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Folks, I will be paying tribute to this great man at Sixers games this year, I will wear his officially game worn signed singlet I have of his from back in the day. If you see me I expect a high five and nothing less...

Reply #149921 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

lockstock can you fill his singlet? or are you swimming - you know you have to do it justice!

Reply #149923 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't have the guns nor the barrells pinned to my chest unfortunately. I'll only eat country style gravy for the next 5 days in an effort to get into shape

Reply #149927 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Oh , so it was the gravy CB was pumping to turn super beefcake on us hey ?.

Reply #149947 | Report this post

flinders 77  
Years ago

he is currently studying social work at a uni in northern Victoria...don't think he plays anymore

Reply #230376 | Report this post

Harro  
Years ago

what you up to Chris. Im sure youl know who this is. I Still live in the same town .ha ha.peace.

Reply #346422 | Report this post

Hanno  
Years ago

Chris, what u up to Bro, would love you to update so we can see what you are doing

Reply #394705 | Report this post

Bingo  
Years ago

Think Blakemore is currently working as a fluffer in adult entertainment.

Reply #689919 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Hi Bingo - The local sheep farmers are a bit worried to read that you have found a workable imaginary erotic fantasy to help with your sexual dysfunction issue, do we need to get you back to actively checking in to the local station each night again , to sign into the register as suggested by the magistrates court back before your problem arose (or didn't - as the case may be)??

Reply #689933 | Report this post

Jockie  
Years ago

Fluff this then Blakemore!

Reply #757266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754