Nick
Years ago

The ABA and A-league - Need Free To Air Coverage

The ABC have shown a lot of "less popular" sport over the years. They can do this because they are not a commercial station and the less popular sports like WNBL, SANFL and Lawn Bowls because they do not demand a lot of advertising and the ABC can afford to show them. Why doesn't the ABC show some ABA? Channel 31 crossed my mind but it's so hard to pick them up on your TV let alone a watchable picture that it would be rather pointless. Perhaps one game a week. Admittedly there's not very much interest in the ABA but like I said, the ABC does not need popular sport and DO show unpopular sport. I know it's perfectly easy to head down to your local stadium and watch a game but I'm thinking from more of a "get basketball in the public eye and generate interest" point of view.

If there's one sporting competition that should have some free-to-air coverage and doesn't is the A-League. As we all know the A-League has become extremely popular in Australia drawing an average crowd of 16,000 in 2007 and they are still growing. To give you an idea of how much the crowds are growing in the A-leagues inaugural year in 2004 the average crowd was 10,000. It's not unusual to see a crowd of 50,000 in Melbourne! Foxtel are currently showing every A-League game so they obviously understand how much interest there is in Australia's best football competition. If free-to-air stations are interested in showing the NBL then surely they are interested in the A-League!

Topic #12875 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

I think you will find that Foxtel has the exclusive rights to every game of the A League for 5 seasons - so even if the commercial stations wanted to show it they would have to do a deal with Fox

Reply #149931 | Report this post

Ostrich 41  
Years ago

Also i believe the ABC is required to show a certain percentage of women's sports per year and a certain percentage of sports that are not main stream sports.

Reply #149937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754