David Kerr
Years ago

Other courts around the league - buzz from fans

I was at the Sydney game at the Entertainment centre and wasn't that impressed with the crowd turnout or the entertainment.

Ticket pricing was good.
court announcer was an improvement.
Music was at times inappropriate during the game (loud techno beeps in one important bit int the game).
Meet the fans & drinks with players at the bar after the game is a great move.

I am a little sick of the kiddie type entertainment at games. I would rather see money spent on at leat having one giant replay screen at the game. Sydney have no screens.
Before the game, they should do a history of the two teams playing, the head to heads, etc. Get the crowd hyped up a bit. Have better intro's. Surely they can get a sponsor who can put up a screen.
Judging by what i saw, they will be hard-pressed to get decent crowds this year.

Topic #12886 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Was that the Kings-Blaze game? What was the crowd number?

Reply #150051 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Crowd was 3951 which is OK. I've been to 2 interstate games, 1 was at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and the other was at The Cage. David Kerr, when I was at the Kingdome there was a screen and it was showing all the game action even though the game wasn't on fox. I seem to remember I even had instant replays which are extremely handy and the 36ers should look into if possible. It was a 36ers vs Kings game and the crowd was OK, my guess would be about 4000, (everyone seemed to show up in the last 5 minutes!) but 4000 doesn't look that good in a 10,000 seat stadium. Hate that stupid lion mascot. Cheerleaders were very $exy! I really didn't like the look of the Sydney Entertainment Centre, it made me really appreciate the Dome. There are no seats at one end of the court so the seats are shaped like a horseshoe, the place looked hideous because everything, seats and all, were purple! I was awesome seeing the Sixers play on the road but we lost by 50 points!

I also went to a Townsville vs Melbourne game at the end of 2005. Could believe how freakin' small the Cage is. There are shite all seats in that little shed and for those of you that don't know it holds 3,500, lees than half what the dome holds (7,800) and there still about 700 empty seats! Anyway it was a very impressive game what with Larry Abney throwing down a reverse dunk and Rashad Tucker throwing down and off the backboard jam! (anyone remember that game from watching it on fox?). The non basketball stuff, however, wasn't very good. The scoreboard was crap, very small, had hardly anything on it! There was no big screen. Can't remember what entertainment was but I do remember it was crap.

Reply #150055 | Report this post

David Kerr  
Years ago

Nick, yes the Ent Centre did have a nice big screen a couple of years ago, when Phillips sponsored the league. Now, there is nothing. The glory days in Sydney were when the Homebush superdome used to sell out, they had a laser show and US style intro's.
I went to a Perth game last year and that was a great atmosphere, passionate fans, close to the action and sell out crowd, stadium is on the small side.
Sydney crowd, not sure, haven't seen figures, lucky to be around 3,000. They have blacked out a lot of the seats so it doesn't look so empty.

Reply #150057 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The sixers did have instant replays happening on Friday and as far as I know will continue to have all season.

Reply #150058 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip - could be more replays I thought, but was very impressed that they had the video going (with at least some replays) from game one for the existing screen and new corporate plasmas. Definite thumbs up to the club and their supplier.

Reply #150059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard somewhere that Perth are going to move back to the Perth Entertainment Centre in a few years. I'm not sure if that would be a good move or not. Isn't it better to sell out their 4,500 seat stadium than have 5,000 people in an 8,200 seats stadium and have to pay more rent??

Reply #150064 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

How much is the instant replay setup costing.
I was always for a simply game feed on delay, so in affect its a replay. Cheap and easy.

But good to hear instant replays in full swing at the Dome!

Reply #150095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure and may be contra for all I know, but do know someone who got something similar priced at $5k/game.

My original budget idea was a few fixed cameras (overheard, above shot clock, etc) going through a hard-drive recorder set with a 5-10 second delay. Dodgy, but it'd work.

Reply #150096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754