Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Dragons, Oct 6

Adelaide host the South Dragons this Saturday night. Thought it might be worth getting some discussion going well ahead of the game.

Izzy posted the following in another thread and I thought it might get some responses if it was in a more visible place:

What are the odds that South Dragons play a zone this week. Beat the Sixers last year with it and after Melbourne's success, it would have to be coming. If the Sixers have no idea how to attack it this week then some serious questions need to be asked about the coaches.
I see some similarities already in the coaching philosophy/style between last year and this year and this is worrying. The most obvious is all ten players getting court time. Once again nobody knows where they stand. Watch players get pissed off as their minutes fluctuate wildly from game to game as the coaches clutch at straws from week to week. Have some balls, go with eight players and get them consistent minutes with a definite role. Yes somebody misses out, one or two get pissed but it's better this way than having everybody pissed off. The look on Mahersy's face when Ballinger was finally put back in at one stage against Melb. was priceless.
Also, have the aggets to tell Dench that 3 rebounds last week and this week in 20+ minutes aint good enough for his size. Don't do it, and as long as my arse points to the ground, he will settle for the soft perimeter shot. YOU as coaches have to get the extra out of players when it is not their habit.
Pulling ourselves over a win against Wollongong (who could very well finish bottom) and then trotting out the now regular excuses for the game against Melb. doesn't bode well for a win this week. Training this week should be ferocious. Will it or do we want to be 'understanding' again Phil. Unfortunately the bed has been made and any attempt to get tough will come across as fake and the players simply laugh at it.

The Dragons have been tipped anywhere from 4th to 9th coming into the season, but are 0-1 after dropping a game to West Sydney first up. What tactics would you try against them? Should they use a reduced line-up? What are your tips?

Topic #12977 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

I have always struggled to understand the way that on the rare occasions Phil calls a time out, he has to discuss what to do next with his two assistants and then spend the last ten seconds delivering a fix it all to the players. Even at the 1/4 and 3/4 time breaks, he spends most of the time talking to the other coaches. Sure involve them in the process and seek their opinions, but isn't it the players that one of the 3 coaches should be talking to?

I agree with the points Izzy/Isaac make above about player rotations. The combinations are reactive and definitely against Tigers, did nothing more than cause a heap of mismatches and expose us further.

A loss to the Dragons this week will have us all wondering if we actually are any better than last year. Everybody looked at this year with a great deal of optimism when the team was put together. Newley was never going happen this year, but the rest of the team looked strong enough to challenge a top 4 place. If they can't live up to the expectations, is it Chappell of Phil who should be accountable?

Reply #151005 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Adelaide have the Stomach, legs and guns to shut down the Dragons.

Cortez is as selfish as Heal when it comes to taking a shot.

Reply #151006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the Dragons are very good this year and the 36ers (especially at home) should win easily if they learn from the Tigers game and Chappell is one game better.

If Chappell is still a bit off the pace, then I think Ingles could render him largely ineffective with his defense?

Reply #151007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding player rotations, it seems an absolute must to have either Maher or Davidson on at all times - without at least one of them on our offense is disorganised and we cough up heaps more turnovers. Same can be said with Ballinger at the 4 - he goes off we have no inside presence on offense and no consistent rebounders. This was demonstrated last week with limited boards shared between Cooper, Dench and Mottram. Great, we have a bigger line-up this season. Not much good if they don't contribute! Speaking of which, anyone heard of a solid screen?

Reply #151013 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

I was at the South/Wests game a couple of weeks ago and South were out of sync and made it hard on themselves, but they have had alot of time on the training track since and will be better for the run. West Syd were good in that game there imports are class acts and will cause many teams trouble during the season (ask Scott Fisher). The 6ers are handicapped by some bad coaching and unless that lifts they will go down by 10.

Reply #151018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Burdon will just slam em with three pointers, tey got no chance

Reply #151019 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I would expect a zone for sure from Melbourne, particularly if/when one of their import forwards get s into foul trouble.

I would expect that zone to be extented into a half court zone trap once the 36ers go to their bench. Every other team does it, why should the Dragons be any different against us.

I have no problem with a 10 man player rotation, required until Chappell and Mottram can play more.

Reply #151020 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

My preferred player rotations based on time on court for the Sixers would be:

Guards: (96 total)
Maher - 35 mins
Davidson - 35 to 40 mins (if Sutts or Ng are not performing)
Sutton - 16 mins } Reduce if not playing well
Ng - 10 mins } Reduce if not playing well

Forwards: (96 total)
Chappell (when fit) - 40 mins (until then 30 mins)
Copes - 8 mins (once Chappell is fit until then 13 mins)
Sutts - 5 mins (until Chappell is fit)
Ballinger - 40 mins
Motts/Dench - spelling Ballinger, 8 mins

Centre: (48 total)
Dench - 20 mins }
Coops - 18 mins } Depending on performance on night
Mottram - 10 mins }

I agree with #151013 that either of Davidson or Maher must be on at all times, and both on down the stretch. Preferably have Ng on only with 4 starting calibre players on court (Sutton defensively can fill the holes a bit better).

When looking at it this way, we have a gaping hole until Chappell starts pulling his weight (I am not saying that he won't). Lets face it, we are used to having a three pronged attack over the years, with 20 point games from both imports and Maher. Until we have Chappell contributing at least 15ppg we will be struggling to acheive winning margins.

Davidson, Ng, Dench and Copes and have the ability to chip in with the odd 20 point game, are more likely to average (a useful, but not game winning) 10 ppg. Coops, Motts and Sutts will likely only score sparingly. Between all of them however, they will not often cumulatively score more than 50 points in a game.

So we rely on Maher, Ballinger and Chappell to at least score 50 between them each game, and probably 60 for a winning margin. We can't realistically do that until Chappell gets his game together.

Reply #151027 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

just one thing on sutton and i guess someone who has watched him at the level below might be able to answer, when he shoots he looks confident and proved in the last quater he can shoot.

why then when he is open he hesitated and looks for the pass and often passes to a player in trouble/under pressure.

in no way am i bagging him i think hes has a promising future just a little perplexed as to why
he doesnt shoot more

Reply #151032 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Do u think that some of the others seem to be doing this as well ?

Reply #151035 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Im expecting a blow out. 36ers will have learned a lot from last weeks poor effort, against possibly THE form team to compare yourself too. Dragons haven't got enough depth to deal with a hungry 6ers team, and this season, the 6ers have the skill to turn it all around immediately.

Reply #151037 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

I reckon Dragons by 5

Reply #151039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely agree with thomo about Sutton. In the warm ups etc he usually shoots fantastically but during matches more often passes even when open. This is probably the weakest area of his game and maybe that's only to do with confidence. Defensively and running the point he is fantastic for a rookie at NBL level. I would play Sutton over Ng almost any day

Reply #151041 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i tend to agree anon, but the onlything in NGs favour is his confidence to shoot and take it to the ring if needed would love to see sutton do that more

Reply #151042 | Report this post

professor hoops  
Years ago

Well congratulations to all you Smyth bashers i have just attended a function at the arts centre where they launched The Freemasions Health for Men.Smyth was the emcee and was fantastic everyone enjoyed his honesty and humour.A large group of us asked many questions regarding the 36ers he answered all questions and we were very impressed with what he told us.We did ask why he took so long talking to Steve before going into the timeout he answered by saying it gave the players a chance to cool down rehydrate and then be able to listen clearly to the instructions given.When a player comes to the bench players are normally running on a high they need a few seconds to slow down mentally and emotionally this allows the players to do that.It also allows the instructions to be clear to the players.One of the Professors said they had completed a study on this and the method Smyth was using would clearly get the best result from the players.Players do not listen to the coach who rushes straight in and cannot retain mutiple instructions.He also spoke highly of the new owner and said the Club was clearly heading back to where it once was dont lose this guy we all agree you will regret it.We also know you guys who have an agenda wont change your attitude.Good luck to the 36ers and there coach.

Reply #151064 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

right....

Reply #151071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another seduced.....

Reply #151097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to agree with you Professor Hoops.

Although some of you might not agree, but Smyth has his own coaching style and it's NOT to impose himself 100% on the players, it's NOT to tear them down and build them up (a la Joyce).

There is a leadership group within the team and I believe they all agree it's working well.

Some of you should take the time out to actually pose intelligent questions to Smyth about why he makes certain decisions instead of bagging him out.

Seems when anyone has a bad game (coach or player) you call for them to be instantly sacked.....

Reply #151121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember though.....just because somebody says it is so, doesn't make it so.

Reply #151122 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Professor Hoops (Smyth) - No one is saying Smyth is not a nice guy. In fact everyone knows that and thats probably one of his down falls atm with the team! No one is questioning whether he lets his players rehydrate or not :P We are questioning:

* His offensive strategy
* His defensive Strategy
* His substitution strategy
* His ability/inability to motivate the team
* and his inability to call a time out at the proper time

All valid points!

Reply #151134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch the NBA games and their coaches do the same.... ie. take time out for the players to get their heads together/rehydrate first.

Reply #151252 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Ah c'mon, you can't use them as ammo. Look how they went in the last Olympics.
Their coaches must be crap.

Reply #151293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha no pleasing you......... the NBA coaches are crap???

Reply #151337 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754