Ron
Years ago

Clarification on Maher breaking Davis's record on

Congratulations to Brett, who on Saturday, will play his 482nd NBL game for the 36ers.

Can I just confirm with those in the know that this is DEFINITELY a record-breaking achievement, not a record-equalling effort.

The reason I ask is that although all the press, the NBL site itself and the media guide has Mark Davis with 481, I've found that nblstats.com and Isaac's 36ers historical stats to the left have Davis at 482, when you add all the games for each of his seasons from 1985-2001. Isaac's links are as follows:
http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/48/
http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/49/
http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/50/
http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/51/

Also, articles in the Advertiser from 15/10/2001 and 20/11/2003 mention Davis having played 482 games for the club.

Obviously Brett will extend the record well and truly by the time he retires, but can anyone clarify beyond all doubt that the record will be falling on Saturday night.

Topic #12988 | Report this topic

Steve Sands  
Years ago

Yes your right, everything I have gone through, is 482, best get that right for the night. Also the club is using the word 'milestone' as in AFL and other codes it is actually an 'achievement' and it will continually change, where as a milestone is a set target mirrored and acknowledged by NBL and adopted by teams, Brett has achieved a 'record' set by another player.

Hope the club clear this up and also congratulations to both players.

Reply #151149 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Reply #151178 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

woohooo..congrats Brett, playing the record breaking game right here in Perth..you will hear the 3 of us cheering the achievement.

Reply #151181 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

so..can anyone confirm the facts here, following is a section of Boti's column today..which still says davis on 481???

"October 04, 2007 02:15am
IT is a long road from wide-eyed rookie to the iconic face of a basketball club but it is a path Brett Maher steers all on his own from Saturday.....

....When he runs out onto the Distinctive Homes Dome hardwood on Saturday night for the 244th time, he will line up for his 482nd NBL game with the 36ers, leaving Mark Davis behind on 481 games"

anyone certain?

Reply #151279 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Who knows.

NBL Official Media Guide - 482
Adelaide 36ers Club - In a speech in recognition of Davis' achievements 482
Boti Nagy Advertiser - 481

NBL Stats, Isaac, Sixers Lounge - pressumably all stats taken from media guide - 482

Reply #151419 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

www.adelaide36es.com - History section
36ers History - History of Adelaide Pura Milk 36ERS

Many of the NBL's greatest players have worn 36ers colours during their career and include the likes of rebounding-champion Mark Davis, current captain and Sydney 2000 Olympian Brett Maher, three-time NBL Best Defensive Player Darnell Mee, and dynamic guards Mike McKay, Al Green and Darryl Pearce.

Davis holds the 36ers all-time records for games played (482), points (8752), blocks (301), steals (481), and rebounds (5200), with his prowess in the latter earning him the nickname "Chairman of the Boards".

An import from the USA when he first played in 1985, Davis spent the next 15 years competing for Adelaide and played eight games for Australia after becoming a naturalized citizen.

Davis was the NBL's all-time leading rebounder, a member of the NBL 20th Season Team, a three-time championship winner, and a five-time selection to the All-NBL First Team.

Reply #151420 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

And now NBL Website.

Most games played for Adelaide:
481  Brett Maher
481  Mark Davis
290  Mike McKay
262  Paul Rees
258  Darryl Pearce
233  Scott Ninnis
217  Martin Cattalini
196  Rupert Sapwell
187  Brett Wheeler
174  Mark Nash

Reply #151422 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Just found this. Dated Saturday June 10, 2006

Four enter NBL Hall of Fame

Loggins, Davis, Borner and Kerle receive ultimate honour
The National Basketball League (NBL) has named legendary Philips Championship players Leroy Loggins, Mark Davis and Ray Borner along with celebrated coach Brian Kerle as the 2006 inductees to the NBL Hall of Fame.

Joining Loggins in the Hall is Adelaide's irrepressible rebounding machine, Mark Davis. Known as the 'Chairman of the Boards' during his career, Davis had at least 20 rebounds in a game on 40 different occasions and remains second all-time in the NBL in rebounding behind only Brisbane's Mark Bradtke. Davis won the NBL's MVP award in 1987 and snared three championship rings with Adelaide in 1986,1998 and 1998-99 during his 481-game career.

Reply #151426 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

For the sake of the argument can we say Pudd played 481.5 games?

I can not believe there is contrary information out there about the clubs history. One would hope that the club has got it right though.

Reply #151432 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

That's the nbl for you.

How about this list

Most games played for any one club:
612  Andrew Gaze (Melbourne)
513  Leroy Loggins (Brisbane)
482  Ricky Grace (Perth)
481  Brett Maher (Adelaide)
448  Lanard Copeland (Melbourne)

Link

Anyone missing?

Reply #151435 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

i believe the club and the nbl have got it wrong. it seems davis has had 1 match and about 20 points deleted from his records some time since his retirement.

as far as i'm concerned, davis played 482 games for the sixers, not 481. maher is playing his 482nd against the dragons and then his 483rd against the wildcats in perth, which will be the REAL record-breaker.

maybe it's a marketing and promotional move by the club;- give maher the record in front of his home crowd, against shane heal, have davis there for the presentation etc, rather than have the record fall in perth when no-one will notice or care.

the only other possible scenario i can come up with is that, i beleive, davis earned himself a couple of didnt play (coach decison) in his final season. maybe 1 of these was credited to him by mistake and removed retrospectively. i'm sure someone would know.

Reply #151509 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754