raytri
Years ago

"Axel was just unlucky"

I was a bit disappointed with Phil's reason for not playing Axel Dench. After playing a starting 5 role in the past two games he has been relegated to 7 minutes, albeit scoring 4 points.
I hope Phil's inability to manage a tall side doesn't impact on his choices in rotation and create problems with new players settling in. It didn't seem to apply to Chappell who also seems to be having problems "trying to settle in".

Topic #13030 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

UNfortunately Axel just isnt that good.

Cant rotate cooper, motts and axel. ONe will have to sit. Looks like its Axel. Phil has finally worked it out.

We dont need a 7 footer to shoot 3s. Have enough shooters as it is.

Need bigs who can defend, rebound and be physical and score inside.

Axel would rather shoot turnaround fade away jumpers on someone half his size from post rather than attack basket.

Reply #151700 | Report this post

rybags  
Years ago

mott's energy and defence gets the nod. plus he plays within in his limits. i like axel but hes not a real banger. go sixers.

Reply #151704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have no problem with it either, dont really like his game that much though, that said he can sometimes make the good pass. On the night i did not even notice he was not playing, and cooper did more than a good job.

Reply #151705 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Play him the 4 spot as a back up to Ballinger then.

Reply #151706 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

Definitely Motts as the starting centre. No questions there.

I would actually like to see Coops play a bit of back up PW to Ballinger, as well as center backup. Defensively Coops should be able to guard any forward, whilst Axel definitely seems limited to guarding the centres.

Reply #151722 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I recall one very embarrassing play for the 'former rookie of the year' when he was backing down a guy half his size (could have been Herbert) but looked very unsure and eventually turned the ball over, when he should have scored easily. Axel just has no real moves down low, his strength is spotting up and shooting and we have guys that can do that already.

When Mottram is playing so well, Axel can sit for the entire game as far as I'm concerned. Mottram was outstanding on Saturday, his defence and rebounding excellent.

I never really liked the Axel signing, he is an absolutely terrible defender with no lateral movement whatsoever and when you've got other defensive liabilities like Copeland and Ng you really can't have more than one of these guys on the court at the same time.

Reply #151731 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Phil had to have known what type of player Axel was and his strengths and weaknesses, so why recruit him and not play him? Of course he's a big guy who loves to stand out at the 3 point line and shoot 3's, we all know that, so don't rely much on his post game or his rebounding!!!

Reply #151742 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I'm with anon151700. I thought after the 1st game that the biggest issue was lack of boards. Motts, Cooper & Dench only had 9 between them. As Coops can block shots, & Motts has good D & lots of hustle, IMO its now up to Dench to lift his game & challenge the other two.

Reply #151788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When Axel signed, we did not have Mottram.

Not bothered who gets the minutes as long as the combination for that game works.

Reply #151902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754