Isaac
Years ago

NBL All Star Game 07/08 in Melbourne

The National Basketball League has announced that the highly anticipated 2007 NBL All-Star Game, which is the premier showcase event of the HUMMER Championship, will be played in Melbourne.

The 2007 NBL All-Star Game will be played at the State Netball and Hockey Centre in Melbourne (known as 'The Cage'), home of the Melbourne Tigers, on Wednesday 12 December.
Isn't The Cage a bit small??
"The Tigers will host the 2007 NBL All-Star Game however the event should prove to be a significant boon to both our Victorian-based NBL teams and fans."

Melbourne Tigers owner Seamus McPeake said his club was thrilled to have the chance to host the event.

"The Tigers organisation are excited at having the best of the best from around the league coming to 'The Cage' for the All-Star Game," said McPeake. "Being chosen to host the event is a vote of confidence in our club a great reward for our loyal fans. But the event itself is all about the larger Victorian basketball community, and that includes Dragons fans, so we will be offering both Tigers and Dragons members' exclusive pre-sale access to All-Star tickets.

The NBL also revealed that it would be including the return of the popular Three-Point Competition to the event program for 2007.

More

Topic #13052 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Great way to showcase the league by having the event in one of its smallest venues

Reply #151994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apparently it only half-sold last time they held it there? Surely they can do better than that if we had 5k or so in Adelaide?

Reply #151997 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

If they couldn't fill a significant portion of the phonebox for an all star match then basketball in Victoria truly is dead. Give it to some place that cares. The Tiges and Dragons between them should have more season ticket holders than you can fit in the Cage. What is the point of holding it there!

Reply #152015 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Run it in Perth IMO. Otherwise, run it at Dragons' home court with really accessible pricing and try for 8k+.

Reply #152016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you think the NBL is going to pay the rental fee for Vodafone???

Reply #152018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No. Admittedly, that was the first thing I thought of.

Reply #152020 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

So #152018, the stated objective of the NBL All*Star game, the 'premier showcase event' on the NBL calendar, is to hold it in the cheapest venue in Australia. They should have hired Wayville and played it there.

Reply #152029 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Nah, play it at Hilcrest. Its rustic and has character.

Reply #152030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is downright stupid. So many people are going to miss out on seeing the game because it being played in a 3000 seat stadium! Brisbane moved to a much bigger venue and sold heaps more tickets and made a profit! Why would moving the All Star game to vodafone be any different?

Reply #152038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll be sending the NBL a colourful newsletter!

Reply #152039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newsletter? WTF? Sorry, I meant email.

Reply #152040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With free to air coverage those people that miss out on the limited tickets will get to see it the next day atleast.

Reply #152041 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Having the game midweek is a BIG mistake! I hope Brett Maher is in the 3 point comp.

Reply #152044 | Report this post

y  
Years ago

actually anon 152041 people will have to wait 4 days

Reply #152047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Newsletter? WTF? Sorry, I meant email.
Maybe it's a newsletter because you're having to send them something colourful on a weekly basis? ;)

Reply #152049 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

They'd get more spectators in if they held it in a Hummer.

Reply #152052 | Report this post

why the cage it should be at vodafone.they should of made it on a saturday!

Reply #152054 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It must always have been intended to be held on a Wednesday. They have deliberately made round 13 a short round to allow for the game. That said, I hope no Sixers make the team as we still have a game 4 days before and 3 days after the All*Star match.

Reply #152059 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Last time All Star game was at the cage it was full, no spare seats, but not necesarily sold out - heard whispers that alot of freebies were given out (I for one had one ;-)

Bad timing to hold it in melbourne 3 days before the local derby Tigers vs Dragons (at vodaphone) that any casual bball fan should be going to!

I agree that Perth should get a shot.

Reply #152062 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

You have to look at accessibility for the players imagine travelling from cairns to perth, if i was a player in the nbl and had to do that trip twice i would not be involved if it was in perth thats a long way if you dont get direct flights, they need somewhere central which is why adelaide last year and melbourne this year.
Good on them for bringing back the 3 point comp as it was needed last year as the event had a bit lacking. The dunk comp and the game were not anything great last year so let hope this year is great and they fill the cage and get some good atmosphere. I wonder if they will charge alot per ticket to make up for the minimal seating..

Reply #152069 | Report this post

they should have at least put it on the holidays

Reply #152075 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

My tips for all star weekend

3 point shoot out winner - Daryl Corletto/Rashad phillips/ Craig bradshaw/hammer shane heal

Dunk contest winner - Baby Shaq Nathan Jawai

Aus team - Ingles, sammy Mac, anstey, saville,khazzouh, Barlow, Jawai, Loughton, Stephen black, cj bruton, worthington
i know i listed 11 people... but they should be the favourites for the aus team

Import team - Phillips, hinson, ebi ere, D.thomas, Abney, Devries, Muurseep, Mike helms, Galen young maybe, cortez, kavossy, redhage

thats 12 imports most likely to make the team.. Possibly either of the sydney kings imports

Reply #152136 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

y, my mistake, another reason to have the game on Saturday! It's like the NBL are doing their best to make as little money as possible - have it in the smallest venue in the middle of the week. A midweek game at the Cage will draw about 3,000 (and it can't possibly draw more than 3,500 due to the seating capacity) where as a Saturday game @ Vodafone will probably draw 6000-7000. If everyone complains about this cock-up by the NBL (the NBL game being mid-week) then that'll make it more likely they won't try it next year. Brett Maher and Ballinger will make their respective all star teams if they keep it up. Maher to win 3 point comp (if he competes).

Reply #152200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to complain go to: "http://nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=feedback"

Reply #152207 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Perth seem to get decent crowds if not sell-outs week in week out but instead the NBL awards the team who averages a crowd of around 2700 with the All Star game. Nice work guys. It's like Adelaide, who gets the best crowds in the country, constantly missing out on Boomers games when Sydney, the city which totally ignores basketball, gets a game.

Reply #152221 | Report this post

Pulteney 84  
Years ago

"highly anticipated" oh YEAH! Been waiting for this one since the Adelaide all star game, WHOO HOO!!

Well I guess it should be a full house!

Reply #152283 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

3,500 @ SNAHC, making a profit
vs
6,000 @ Vodaphone breaking even (there is a reason why the Dragons declined the NBL's offer).

Reply #152548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754