'best PGs in the NBA'

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10376343

it goes

Nash
Kidd
Parker

... Parker? The guy who can't shoot? The guy that somehow got the MVP over duncan (in which Duncan should have AUTOMATICALLY gotten it, just for being there) the guy who is a terrible defender, but has someone in the calibre of Duncan sitting there making up for his mistakes? (a luxury few PGs have)

Topic #13068 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

Yes, the guy who has been the starting point guard in, is it 4, championship teams. The guy who Cleveland absolutely had n oanswer to in the Finals.

I concur with the report

Reply #152329 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Without Parker - Spurs are nowhere near the team we know them as... I used to think he was ###t and overrated til last years Finals, when he gave me a good kick in the cods as with regards to his playing ability... Yeah - he's not a typical PG - but i've never seen such a combo of speed and ability to finish in the paint with contact since (maybe) KJ... When they needed points he was there to give them - in crunch time no less...

Reply #152334 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

ELG U HAVE NO IDEA!!

i am so sick of ur negative (and always bullshit) opinion of the nba - wtf are u on about this time?!?! ur actaully ripping on tony parker?!!? did u happen to catch the finals series???? at all??? like...seriously? have u watched an nba game in the last 5 years?!

bottom line, hes been running the point position for the team of the decade

and lockstock yes i think it was 4 championships...a truely, truely overrated piece of crap parker is...

Reply #152343 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I had typed up a big post on this, but thought I could say less. The only reason Parker gets this attention is because of Eva. Like or lump it, he would just be 'that French guy' if he didn't have Eva (who wears so much make-up it isn't funny and I reckon she's overrated, but that's for another day) in his corner. And lets not forget he gets to play with one of the all-time greats every night.

Yes, he's a good player on a great team, but No.3 IS too high for him, he's just not that good. IMO, he should be ranked in the 7-10 range. Nash, Kidd, Arenas, Davis, Williams, Billups and Paul all better 'point guards' and better players overall.

Reply #152351 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

ELG YOU HAVE NO IDEA SO RITE.. your the one who says parker cant shoot and in another thread the last 5 nba season have been boring.. where have you been parker is a gun thats all to it!

Reply #152358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nash,Kidd, and Billups are all better Point guards that parker in my opinion

Reply #152360 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

worst post of all time twenty four...

ur a joke

Reply #152366 | Report this post

i did catch the finals series jules. It was a good one. im just saying parker would be nothing without duncan, and he isnt the 3rd best PG in the league. stop attacking my every post.

Reply #152372 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

What and Steve Nash doesn't have Marion and Amare,

Hmm get a grip

Oh and show me Nash's and Kidds Finals MVP's or even better Chmapionships

Reply #152378 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I don't think Parker would care if he was rated 3 or 30 for he has 3 more of what KIDD , NASH , PAUL , and WILLIAMS would die for .

DAVIS and ARENAS are not in the running cause they are too selfish as are IVERSON and MARBURY .

TOP 10 PG's at the minute

NASH
KIDD
BILLUPS
PARKER
WILLIAMS
PAUL
ARENAS
HINRICH
MILLER
DAVIS

Reply #152382 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Of course parker is a gun and his ability to finish around the hoop for a point gaurd is amazing. He does however have some holes in his game ie. inconsistant shooter, average defender, average court vision/passing and not a great understanding about how to set up an offense without penetrating. He's not a top 3 point gaurd but is lucky to have duncan around to set everyone up because he isnt great at it. Btw Kidd is no 1

Reply #152395 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Thankyou Jules, really appreciate your comments.

Reply #152397 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Twenty four, what the hell are you talking about? Parker's new wife has undoubtedly raised his profile for the general public, but for hoops fans it hasn't made a lick of difference to his standing as a player.

Parker was unstoppable last finals and a worthy recipient of finals MVP, he's won 3 (or is it 4?) rings as the starting PG and is currently at the top of his game, a worthy top 3 pick in my opinion.

Reply #152398 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

OK, I went back and read what I said about Eva and I probably was a bit harsh. But I still think he gets too much attention because of Eva (the guy was on that ESPN 'Who's Now' and beat Roger Federer for goodness sake! I know that whole thing was a joke, but still...) which leads to some overhyping him. In all honestly, Duncan was the MVP of that Finals series, but you just knew it was going to TP...

Apart from all that, he's just not the third best PG in the NBA. No way. He doesn't average enough assists or score enough points to warrant that kind of talk. If he didn't have Duncan, or at least a superstar big, I just can't see him being anything. Of course, that's not to say he couldn't be successful in a different system, but to me he needs players around him that make up for his shortcomings, which I don't think a top point guard should need.

Reply #152403 | Report this post

tmagz03  
Years ago

how can parker be the 3rd best point guard in the NBA?
im sorry but i agree with ELG here to a certain extent.
im not critisizing parkers great credentials, i believe he is the 'best' at getting to the ring and finishing for a guard. But thats just one aspect of a point guards potential.
Parker does not have a great outside shot (although he has improved majorly over the past few seasons.

When i think of the best point guards they have to be strong and i mean strong in all criterias of the game, not just being a strong driver.
There is no way u could claim parker a better point guard than players like deron williams and chauncy billups...they are true point guard. Tony parker isn't a true point guard and although he is fascinating too watch, he ain the 3rd best in the NBA.

And yea he has won 4 championships, well look at his supporting cast and the depth on the bench. They would still be championship contesters if they had a point guard like rafer alston instead of him.

Reply #152424 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

It seems people always fire up when a "best...." type post appears. It is so redundant. The game is 5 on 5. You pick a TEAM of five not individuals. I would have bowen at small forward in phoenix instead of marion, does that mean he's a better player, hell no but he is a better fit. Parker burns with speed and finishes in the lane, perfect fit for a team with a post threat. You just can't go making lists of the top players at specific positions without acknowledging their position within the team.
Billups, kidd, nash, williams, davis, paul, parker are all gun point men. Kidd and nash may be a step above the others but essentially they are all great players who play similar roles on their teams.

Reply #152436 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Williams will have a breakout year. No not the old back up point/water boy for the 6ers, but Deron Williams.

His performance in the Playoffs was sensatinoal, and look for him to build like a little builder, building something big.

Bags is back.

Reply #152442 | Report this post

Are you suggesting, Flip, that Parker is better than Kidd and Nash? Because Duncan would win with anyone.

Reply #152470 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Why should Duncan's greatness have any bearing on Parker's assessment as a PG. Jason Williams was never considered a great PG when playing with Shaq and D-Wade.

Parker's jumpshot has become more than consistent. It has caused defences to leave him open at their peril and consequently his penetration is that much more dangerous and effective. Has anyone mentioned he was top two or three in FG% in the league the last two seasons? Seems any deficiencies in the outside shoy are not a factor.

People bring up his jumpshot - what about J-Kidd's? Always been a weakness. In fact, he has never really been a scorer at all. Different player to Parker, and still better IMO, but Parker is a worthy winner of Finals MVP and should be considered amongst the elite of the NBA.

Eva has nothing to do with anything. I agree with Nathan - little or no value in a "best" argument. Except when we are talking MJ over Wilt, which is a no-brainer to His Airness.

(ELG response in 5...4....3...2....)

Reply #152480 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

just a tad harsh twentyfour...

being married to eva might help him get on E TV or help his celebrity status in the gaaay hollywood, glamourous, celebrity world, but not in a basketball sense??? NBA experts and writers (like the one who wrote parker at 3) dont go, this player stands out because of his partner...its because he is a stud...

why does everyone keep saying duncan was clear mvp?! i know when i was watching it i thought, parkers got it in the bag..he lead the team in scoring each night except the final game (it was ginobili with 27, parker had 24)

but u gotta look past stats as well..'average enough points or assists' is not what its about - what u need from a point guard is a cool head, who runs the floor exceptionally well and scores when the team needs a bucket, exactly what he did better than anyone in the finals...i cant remember the last time i saw tony parker miss from inside the key!

and ELG, isnt kidd and nash rated ahead of parker in this thing??? hes just saying that all people have against parker (it seems like) is duncan 'bailing him out'...when every superstar (besides kobe) has another star with him...kidd has two, nash has 2. deron hasnt proved himself yet the way parker has (and has boozer, who was MORE of a beast last playoffs), paul is the same but even more so (young, inexpiernced still, not anywear near parker), billups doesnt touch parker (one of the most overrated players in the game...along with another one of his pistons teammates)

4 rings, 1 finals mvp...got no problems with him at 3

Reply #152482 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

wow...didnt mean to write that much..

thedoctor - entirely true, everything u said

Reply #152483 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Parker only has 3 rings.

When comparing players I like to consider what impact they would have if they went to another team. Eg:

Would Phoenix be better if Parker were there instead of Nash? Probably not.

Would Spurs be better if Nash were there instead of Parker? Probably.

Or what if a draft were held right now of all PGs and you only had them for one season (ie so age or potential isn't an issue). What would be the order.

Of course, some players are a better fit for certain teams, coaching styles etc

Assume you are starting from scratch and have no other players and you have to pick a point guard first from the following list:

Nash, Williams, Kidd, Paul, Davis, Ford, Miller, Parker, Billups, Hinrich

My preferred order would be:
Nash
Kidd
Davis
Williams
Billups
Parker
Paul
Hinrich
Miller
Ford

Reply #152495 | Report this post

tell me why Billups is overrated. He actually deserved his finals MVP, being the best and most important player (which Parker was neither) he runs his team, takes the big shots, plays good D...

Reply #152509 | Report this post

p.s Wilt for number 1

Reply #152511 | Report this post

c-bakjiza  
Years ago

tony parker has no penis
thats why he runs so fast
U fools
try running with a worm like shaq has dangling down there
no wonder he wears bike pants and long shorts

Tim Duncan is not the best player he is a robot with no emotion no jazz and never does anything to get the crowd excited, the sooner he is dismantled the better the nba

Reply #152519 | Report this post

c-bakjiza  
Years ago

*** he got it removed during the 99 pre season
to make himself faster and therefore increase his game.
less resistants between the thighs***

Reply #152521 | Report this post

paedophile pete  
Years ago

your such an idiot c-bakjiza yo obviously kno nufing bout b/ball...

mark davis clearly better than all these jokers in his hey day *unstoppable* so dont gimme none of this crap

time to get the rent money out tonight..

i have inside word adelaide utd will not be beaten...
dont say i didnt tell ya so....

Reply #152523 | Report this post

c-bakjiza  
Years ago

paedophile pete
u r obviously on something

mark davis ? - why wasnt he in the nba then
and as for united they are gone half the teams missing, looks like ull be sleepin on the streets with no rent money
i will dominate u at ball u fool

Reply #152525 | Report this post

c-bakjiza  
Years ago

I reapeat tony parket has no penis
i saw him get it cut off inhostel 2 that was the surgery

Reply #152527 | Report this post

PARKER  
Years ago

Popovich runs a system where the 1, 2 or 3 can carry the ball in transition. So when Ginobli grabs a rebound, parker is away and encouraged to fill another a lane. That is planned. Probably accounts for less assist. They also run motion and less point guard pick and rolls ( I think compared with Nash). There pick and rolls usually come from the weakside with the 2 or 3 with Duncan cutting up to set the screen from the other side. Parker also dribbles at the wing to get him to run a shallow cut and get the ball at the top a lot out of transion or pass to the post and run a cut. Sorry too much coach talk but I think you should breakdown the system and see if he does his job. He does. He trust his teammates and gives the ball up early and lets the do their thing.

Reply #152531 | Report this post

BIG DADDY!!  
Years ago

NEVER!! TONY PARKER IS TRASH!! THEY WOULD STILL WIN WITHOUT HIM!! THEY HAVE A GREAT TEAM! JASON KIDD IS WAY BETTER THEN TONY PARKER!! GILBERT, CHRIS PAUL, NASH, ARE ALL BETTER THEN PARKER!!

Reply #153196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754