Steveo
Years ago

Additional 3 minutes after national anthem

As a player in the South Australian ABL league next season, I wish to express my frustration over the "additional 3 minutes warm up after the National Anthem".

It is totally unneccessary and I believe the players and more importantly, the crowd, would benefit more from the atomosphere if the teams went straight to the bench after the anthem, leading shortly after that to tip off.

I trust every ABL player agrees and I ask for your support to remove this additional 3 minutes from the schedule.

My question now is:
How can we achieve this????

Topic #13096 | Report this topic

Ryno  
Years ago

I dont agree

Reply #152647 | Report this post

Steveo  
Years ago

Ryno: Why is that so??

Reply #152649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also don't agree.

In Singapore they don't have a national anthem, but they still have the extra 3 minutes - I believe this is an NBL policy.

The team comes out as a group, has the 15 mins and goes to bench. Then they are introduced individually, have the final 3 min warm-up and the starting 5 comes out.

You may think the atmosphere gets lost slightly, but I think you'll find the players welcome it.

Reply #152651 | Report this post

Steveo  
Years ago

Why do u think the players welcome it?

Reply #152652 | Report this post

Why is the anthem even played for anyway. I'm not playing for Australia.

Reply #152660 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

But ELG, you are a sour person, so your national pride, or lack thereof needs to be taken with a grain of salt!

Reply #152669 | Report this post

25 Dog  
Years ago

I think that the National Anthem should be played for international games only.

Reply #152673 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

its good cos after the anthem ppl get pumped and then the big throw downs happen, keep the 3 minutes!

Reply #152674 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The National Anthem is played so when/if any of you do get to NBL/International level, you should all know the words.

Reply #152683 | Report this post

Mad about widgets  
Years ago

Ditch the anthem. It has got squat to do with a local ABA game in a tin shed anyway.

Why dont they play the national anthem before every AFL game? Beacuse it is not needed.

Lets not get all chest thumpingly patriotic like some of our cousins overseas; this is laid back Oz.

Ditch it.

Reply #152693 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

have to agree about getting rid of the anthem. would be ok for finals, but during regular season games shouldn't be played. nice to be patriotic, but when you hear it every week, takes away its meaning in a sense, plus, how many people know the words anyway?

Reply #152697 | Report this post

Hoop  
Years ago

Reply #152729 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I agree with Ricey. Week in week out makes it boring. If it was only there occasionally, it would be far less of a drag.

Reply #152730 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

How many ABL games have you played Ricey??? Lol.. Definitely keep it for the finals, as it pumps you up even more listening to it. The idea behind the 3 minutes to me would be, that once you've gone through your warm ups and then find yourself standing around for 5 minutes you tend to get a little cold again, so for the purpose of warming up the starting 5 again they chuck in a few more minutes to get the blood pumping again.

Reply #152734 | Report this post

ASIO Agent  
Years ago

Australian Basketball League - hence the National Anthem.

Australian's are the worst country for being unpatriotic. Be greatful for the country we live in, and be proud to call yourself Australian's.

Reply #152740 | Report this post

bakedbeanhead  
Years ago

I love the final 3 minutes of warm up. That's the time you bring out your biggest dunks. The kids love the last 3 minutes. Keep it.

Reply #152753 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

I love the three minutes after the anthem!!! The anthem makes the hairs on your neck stand up and when you go back out for 3 minutes i find am much more fired up and feel even more ready to play...

I remember when i played in the states and hearing the US anthem for the first time my whole body tingled and the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up. Then the 3 minutes after the anthem allowed you to fire up but settle down and get your emotions in check and get ready to play!!!

Leave the anthem and leave the 3 minutes after, wouldnt have it any other way!!!

Reply #152763 | Report this post

Steveo  
Years ago

for those of you that agree with the extra 3 minutes:

1. How many of you are starters??
2. Why cant you do all your freaking dunking in the 20 freaking minutes of warm up time.

Why on earth do you need an extra 3 mintues???

makes absolutely no sense

Reply #152866 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

totally agree with ASIO agent. what league is it called??? the ABL stands for what exactly??? be proud of where u come from, if u r from another country playing in our league feel proud that u r apart of it. if u r lucky enough to play ABL, listen to the anthem, shut ur eyes and prepare urself for ur game... see how u feel once its finished... and go from there.

Reply #152871 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754